The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 06:30 PM

Default Guitars vs Cameras vs Golf Clubs

And guitars are a bargain!

In the last 50 years I have spent $4500 on 7 guitars for me and probably another $1500 on junk to inexpensive guitars for mine kids and other kids. Let’s throw in another $1000 for strings and inflation so we are at $7000 for 50 years of fun. About $140 per year. Wow, what a bargain![emoji847]
Old 04-11-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
Was just thinking about this the other day. I was feeling grateful for my guitar interest and the few I have. I stopped my photography hobby a few years ago and replaced it with guitar.
Guitars are a much better value. Any semi pro or better digital camera with a decent lens costs close to $3k at least these days, and will be obsolete in less than 5 years. Plus you need to maintain a computer, software, storage etc...
Guitars last for a long long time and don't get obsolete.
Sure you can make guitar hobby expensive, but you don't have to as with photography.
I’m a photographer as well as a guitarist, and in the the last few years have mostly transitioned my camera and lens lust to guitars. You’re totally right- that $3000 camera will be worthless in five years. At least if you buy a used guitar, you can recoup most of your money when selling.

Fwiw, I find the AGF to be a much more welcoming place than other online forums. I’m not sure why that is, but it’s nice.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:53 PM

You know what BOAT stands for? break out another thousand. Two happiest days in a boaters life? the day he buys it and the day he sells it. But would not trade my salt life for anything!
Old 04-11-2021, 07:32 PM

I'm a member of both cycling and photography forums that I periodically check in on. For the past few years I've been much more involved with this forum, as I've been more focused on guitars than photography or biking. Although I am trying to put some additional focus into biking as a means to get into a little better shape. While I've got a boat and a Porsche, I have not joined forums for those interests. I've seen how this forum can help alleviate quite a bit of $'s from my pocket. Joining a forum for these latter two interests could be very damaging to my bank account.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 04-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

In addition to AGF, I’m a member of a motorcycling forum, a fly fishing forum, a couple of legal forums, a golf forum and a forum for the Big Green Egg. They’re all top-notch with good member input. AGF is up there with the best of them.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Yep...

I still come back to the AGF many times a day to see what's going on.

I enjoy my camera and changeable lenses, but I don't obsess over it.

I'm a horrible golfer, so I pay no attention to that at all.

Guitars and music are my passion. That's about all I have time for besides my wife and family and taking care of our place in the country.

- Glenn
Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I’m a photographer as well as a guitarist, and in the the last few years have mostly transitioned my camera and lens lust to guitars. You’re totally right- that $3000 camera will be worthless in five years. At least if you buy a used guitar, you can recoup most of your money when selling.

Fwiw, I find the AGF to be a much more welcoming place than other online forums. I’m not sure why that is, but it’s nice.
Thanks for that Jimi2. Yea I used to make up for my lack of imagination and skill with all the extra megapixels lenses and some pretty amazing post processing software.
Now if I want a good Pic I uhave to make a strong composition with good lighting in my cellphone, and use whatever minimal pp software it has.
No biggie because it's just not that important to me these days.
Guitar music has an even larger learning curve. Tons of facets with room for lifetimes of improvement. Never getting board as long as you keep light pushing pressure on yourself.
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 04-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

I’ve really only connected myself to two online communities. When I was big into tournament bass fishing I was a member of Bass Boat Central then I sold my boat and all of my fishing equipment and bought a motorcycle. When I was riding Yamahas I joined Venturerider.org and met some great people. Sold my Yamaha and bought a Harley and loved the bike but never found a forum that I really liked. I sold the Harley and now have a Jeep. I’m a member of a couple Jeep forums but I really only use them as reference tools for when I need to do a mod or repair. The AGF is really the only forum I’m active on right now. I check, read and post about every day and really enjoy everything I find on here. I guess as long as I have fingers I’ll hang around.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-11-2021, 08:32 PM

Woodbox, great post. This is a great community of like-minded folks, for sure.

Rb
Old 04-11-2021, 09:16 PM

Ping Zings or gtfo.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:11 PM

I have lost a lot of money to the unholy g trinity of golf, guns and guitars.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:35 AM

I've been very much into cameras/photography, and guitars since I was a kid.

And I agree; AGF is a special place. I've never found a nicer forum. Seems like every other forum has a lot of good people, but a handful of spiteful little trolls that are just out to make other people miserable, which i've never seen on here.

I suspect is the combination of the older demographic and the excellent mod work.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

I play golf, and spend some money for good irons. But then I'll play them for 10-12 years. Right now I have some Callaway Steelheads, and just went to regular graphite shafts as a concession to my age, as opposed to stiff shafts.

My woods are another story. I'm always trading around my 3 and 5 woods, and a hybrid or two. My driver, however, is a 12-yr. old Cobra; I don't care for the new technology. I can hit that thing 250-280 all day long. Of course, it helps being in the thin air at el. 8500 ft.

A friend of mine back in Nebraska just bought a whole new set, and spent some money. His driver alone was over $500. But he plays 80-100 rounds a year, so he'll get his $$$ out of them.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:42 AM

There are a few interesting music-related forums which I visit, AGF being my preferred venue. I am also a photography enthusiast and still use my 35mm Nikon FE from 1978 and Nikkor lenses which function as well today as they did when new. The camera is from a time when they were built to last longer than next year's exciting 'new' model, unlike today's built-in obsolescence, and were beautifully engineered. I tend to avoid photography forums as many seem to focus on the technical side of cameras and lenses to the point of obsession-especially when it comes to something called 'bokeh' where 'experts' argue the merits of areas out of focus rather than the subject of the picture itself which I find puzzling.
I have no interest whatsoever in golf.
Guitars? A 50 year-long passion.

Last edited by AndrewG; 04-12-2021 at 03:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 AM

There's a forum for Jeeps!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion