The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday evening I played with my regular trad/folk group. We're meeting outdoors when possible, due to Covid-19. I brought my 000 and the SC13E.

Temperature was pretty chilly and there was definitely a lot of moisture in the air, albeit it did not rain. There was a far more notable effect on the the 000 28 than on the SC13E. The SC13E retained a lot more of its usual tone and volume and probably soundedbetter in general than the 28 after about 30 minutes of both being uncased (both guitars strung with Martin retro 12s, granted the strings on the 28 are about a month old, the strings on the SC13E are only on a few days).

I guess this is not unexpected, given the fact that the 000 28 has solid wood back and sides where the other guitar has laminate construction back and sides. Conditions were pretty tough for wooden, strung instruments last night. You really could almost feel the rain in the air.

By way of other comments, the SC13E was lovely for accompanying Irish trad sets, where its design really lends itself to using different chord voicings up the neck for some variety. It's tone really suits the music too.

It doesn't fall short in any other respect and is a very, very good all rounder. However I don't think comparisons to the 28s tone are otherwise realistic. The SC13E is good. The 000-28 is on a different level, but by no means so that the SC13E ever sounds bad beside it.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

Last edited by Coler; 06-30-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 AM

Anyone that has had this model for a while care to share their thoughts on it now after owning it for a while? Seems like a great gigging guitar that would be comfortable to play for hours on end.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:23 AM

If you look inside the guitar, the pickup is a "Sonicore" pickup with a tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Good to hear from folks to have played it.

I would also add that the pickup system in the Martin is as good or better than the Taylor ES2, at least in my initial impression

I read somewhere on this forum that the MX-T is a Sonitone plus a tuner. If so, I consider the Sonitone on my Martin GPRS1 to be a dog, the only bad thing about that (all-tonewood, $699-when-I-got-it) guitar. But we all have different ears, and the OP indicated this was less important to him.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I'm surprised that Martin doesn't do a better job of lining up the color patterns on the ebony. That's a particularly bad example though, I'd send that back.

Taylor does the same thing. And Gibson does the same with the patterns in their walnut backs and sides. I know they don't want to waste but come on, they've got to make the guitars attractive.

Maybe it's a plot to make everyone want Richlite!
I passed on an OM-28 a few years ago because the ebony fingerboard had random "puffs" of light color...that looked like a mistake, rather than something used for it's beauty. It looked horrible...to my eyes at least.

Taylor guitars has done a hugely better job at using "marbled" or "streaked" ebony than Martin...by a long shot. I personally think most of the fingerboards on the Taylor guitars I've seen like this look beautiful. On the other hand, the ones I've seen on Martin guitars like the one in the picture and the one on the OM-28 I saw...look like after thoughts, or simply what they slapped into place so they could say they were being eco-friendly. Martin can, and should do better.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:31 AM

Can anyone comment on the plugged in sound of the SC13e?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I'm surprised that Martin doesn't do a better job of lining up the color patterns on the ebony. That's a particularly bad example though, I'd send that back.

Taylor does the same thing. And Gibson does the same with the patterns in their walnut backs and sides. I know they don't want to waste but come on, they've got to make the guitars attractive.

Maybe it's a plot to make everyone want Richlite!
That is horrible. There is a difference between streaked ebony, which can be quite attractive, and blotchy ebony. Like this. It's hard to believe a professional picked this piece of wood or that this got past quality control. I knew someone once who said the guts are the best part of lobster. Yeah, right. This is the same thing.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:08 PM

Anyone know if the stock electronics (Fishman MXT) can be removed and replaced with a Baggs Anthem SL? My biggest concern is the battery compartment. It would need to be reused with the Anthem because there’s no room for the battery pouch to go where it normally goes. The stock pickup does not sound great. It’s basically a Sonicore with a tuner.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:57 AM

I have one. I recommend it.

It changed my whole play style. Being able to have good sustain on the 15th fret and above, the way you can bend any note lower down...the sound quality, the speed you can riff at....it changed my guitar life.

Plugged in, blech..I will put mine through a Body Rez and some Eq to get rid of its shimmery quack.

But unplugged for just playing, not accompanying my vocals...I love it.

Get one...
Old 07-05-2021, 04:25 PM

https://imgur.com/a/JCKj4Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
I'm making inquiries about it with Martin and the GC that sold it to me.

What worries me there are very few of these guitars about. Stocks are almost zero because of Martins's shut down because of the pandemic. It's been suggested that it might be 2 months plus before any more turn up here in Australia.
I'm happy to say the shop that sold me the guitar has taken mine back and replaced it with a brand new one, (12 months on) zero marbling!

Needless to say, I'm chuffed

Photo of the original guitar:

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this guitar; I'm not in a position to go and play it, well there are not many in Australia ATM and I am a very long way from any GC that has one.

1. From a playability point of view, I think this guitar might for me.

2. The sound, many mixed reviews about the sound, especially plugged in. I am not overly concerned about the sound when plugged in. Unplugged, very much so.

3. The guitar is laminated back and sides. Many have complained it ought to be all solid wood. ( Solid Mahogany and Koa Fine Veneer.)

Negative comments about this guitar are always from those who have listened to the guitar played on YouTube. Owners speak highly about how these instruments sound. That being said, it's not a D-28

I have spent hours reading and listening to commentary about this instrument.

It is at the end of the day, a Martin, the amount of research and ingenuity poured into this instrument is impressive.

Is there anyone here interested in this guitar and would care to offer up their assessment of it?

Overview
https://www.martinguitar.com/new-sc-...ectric-guitar/

Specs
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...series/sc-13e/

Review
http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...martin/sc-13e/

Pete
I am Martin SC-13E owner. The action is very low. I am from Riyadh where the humidity is 10% Within one month of getting the guitar it started to buzz so instead of waiting( I waited for 3 months) so much try another guitar because I feel its not worth the waiting period.
Martin SC-13e
Tayor Baby- Koa -e
Old 07-06-2021, 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=PetesaHut;6757298]https://imgur.com/a/JCKj4Md

I'm happy to say the shop that sold me the guitar has taken mine back and replaced it with a brand new one, (12 months on) zero marbling!

I have a question for any SC-13e owners. I received my new SC-13e a couple of days ago from my GC as a replacement for my original guitar with the marbling in the ebony neck.

I am super happy with the replacement guitar supplied by my GC. Something I have only just noticed on the new guitar is a gap slightly less than a business card under the fretboard where you can see the truss rod adjustment from the 19th and 20th fret. See the photo, not my actual guitar.

I don't remember seeing a gap like this on my original guitar? I'm not sure it may have been there and I didn't notice? It has also occurred to me that it be might be the top has sunken a little due to low humidity? Could any owner respond, does your SC-13e have any kind of a gap as I described?

https://imgur.com/a/GWJZqXw

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=PetesaHut;6758134]
Quote:

I have a question for any SC-13e owners. I received my new SC-13e a couple of days ago from my GC as a replacement for my original guitar with the marbling in the ebony neck.

I am super happy with the replacement guitar supplied by my GC. Something I have only just noticed on the new guitar is a gap slightly less than a business card under the fretboard where you can see the truss rod adjustment from the 19th and 20th fret. See the photo, not my actual guitar.

I don't remember seeing a gap like this on my original guitar? I'm not sure it may have been there and I didn't notice? It has also occurred to me that it be might be the top has sunken a little due to low humidity? Could any owner respond, does your SC-13e have any kind of a gap as I described?

https://imgur.com/a/GWJZqXw
Mine has that gap, although mine is enough to see light through it. I thought that was normal and a byproduct of the unique neck construction. I also know that my guitar is anything but dry, so I don’t think that explains it.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=geewhiz;6758141]
Quote:

Mine has that gap, although mine is enough to see light through it. I thought that was normal and a byproduct of the unique neck construction. I also know that my guitar is anything but dry, so I don’t think that explains it.
I think you're most likely correct, it is normal. I just wanted another owner to confirm they are seeing the same thing.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:13 AM

I'm sorry but I can't understand how anyone is happy with the plugged in sound of this guitar? It seems like the main intended purpose of this guitar was to use live on stage and the stock sonitone pickup just sounds god awful to my ears. I know most people listening to me at a bar might not care, but I just can't listen to this guitar tone for 3 hours straight at a gig. Most of the reviews on Sweetwater say they love the way this guitar sounds plugged in and I feel like I am living in an alternate universe. Every youtube review/demo of this guitar plugged in sounds horrible. Yes, it's a SUPER comfortable instrument to play and it sounds OK unplugged....but I just can't get past the plugged in sound. Is it just me?
Old 07-07-2021, 06:21 PM

I don't plug mine in very often, when I do I plug into a Fishman Loudmouth Mini, and it sounds ok. What kind of amplification are you using?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion