The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 06:21 PM

Default New or used?

Which have you had better buck with?
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 PM

These days, used. No contest.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 PM

Used for me most of the time. I'm a Martin dreadnaught guy and I like guitars that are already "played in" and have a little mojo in them. Every guitar I've bought (9 or 10 through the years) except one I've bought sight unseen. Never had a deal go bad. Knock on wood....
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 PM

Used. Ironically the one really bad experience I had was with a brand new Martin that came with a defective neck.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:41 PM

Either is fine. If you don't play things before you buy them, you get the luck of the draw. Just play the guitar: does not matter if its new, second-hand, or fifth-hand. If it's good it's good.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:44 PM

Ive had a number really good experiences when buying used, and a few not-so-good experiences that we resolved with no or minimal financial losses. I’ve bought a couple of guitars that were misrepresented, but the sellers accepted returns. When buying used, i usually buy brands that have a reputation for consistent quality (e.g. Collings), and usually buy newer models (rarely more than 5-10 years old)

All the guitars that i bought new were really good experiences.,,,but it is hard to get the prices i want on new guitars.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I've had good luck on used and new. But I would hesitate to buy a used one without playing it first, or somehow convincing myself I could trust with the seller.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:11 PM

Both, but I've had great success buying new in recent years for excellent prices:

Larrivee SD-40 = $1145
Taylor 324 = $1040 (B-stock)
Martin 000-15sm = $1267
Old 05-13-2021, 08:12 PM

I've bought several guitars used without playing them and all of them have been very good. Playing them first before buying sounds good but is often next to impossible given the location where you live. It is a bit of a gamble but I feel that is worth the risk. Do as much research ahead of time and make sure what the return policy is.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:24 PM

All of my guitars were bought used. I am always trying to get the best I can and am typically less picky about the cosmetic condition. I don’t have a single guitar I could have talked myself into buying for what it cost to by it new. The approach puts limits on what is available to me as I like to play guitars before I buy. I am always willing to drive a long way to try a guitar. My time and energy allows me to see and play guitars and make transactions in person. Bought a guitar in Boston, one in southwest Virginia, one outside of NYC in New Jersey, and one near Philadelphia. Drove to all of those guitars. Not everyone is retired and in my position. Sure works for me. Will say that since the pandemic, I have considered acquiring a guitar or 2 that might have to be shipped. These guitars have mostly been Santa Cruz or Flammang guitars. I love mine and others I have played and figured I would be happy with what I found. Relatively small risk to me.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

If it's a common model, used, no-brainer. If it's a custom one-off or something you can't get on the classifieds, then New.

It's just like cars. Buy new at a premium, or find something with 10,000 miles for 20% less. Easy choice!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:43 PM

If it's not a vintage piece, maintained in the same condition I keep my own instruments (excellent or better), I'll go new every time; having had to use them on several occasions I prefer the security of a manufacturer's warranty, and unless it was a family heirloom - one kid had a killer Ramirez classical he inherited from his grandfather, another a near-mint under-the-bed '51 L-4 given to her by her uncle - I always discouraged my students from buying used regardless of source/price...
Old 05-13-2021, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

My preference is generally USED for the following reasons:

1) best value for your $$

2) while your budget may keep you from buying that guitar you
really like, buying used may well make it financially possible

3) and more important than the $$ savings, you can get some high
quality guitars

4) due diligence is always the key to buying used, but there are
many well-cared for guitars available, and many will have
previous owner(s)' enhancements (ie. a quality pickup, or
upgraded nut, bridge, pins, or whatever).

5) used guitars are often "broken in"

Again, the secret to success when buying used is doing your homework. If you can play the guitar all the better, but often that is not possible. The AGF Classified is a good place to look (among other places).

Whether you decide to buy new or used is a personal choice, but my general guidance is to check out used and not shy away from it.

Best of luck,

Cheers!
Old 05-13-2021, 09:22 PM

I think overall there is a better value in buying used and I always look on the used market first but if what I want is available new at a place that is willing to negotiate then ill buy new.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 05-13-2021, 09:54 PM

Equal luck with both, and am about 50/50 in terms of new / used ownership. Don’t plan on buying more at this point. Last new bought in 2014, last used in 2017.

Last edited by Ceabeceabe; 05-13-2021 at 11:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion