The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2021, 09:49 PM

Default Is it lazy to just play short scales?

I’ve been playing a few years. I have a Yamaha FS700s, my first guitar, which is a short scale. I also have a GA, which is a long scale. It sounds better, but it’s definitely more of a chore to play. I know a ton of amazing guitars—I’m looking at you, classic Martin dreads—are long scale. But I’ve also found that a J-45 (or, more realistically, one of its clones) sounds great and feels all comfy cozy, like my little Yamaha. As does a 000-18, or a Taylor GC.

Am I missing out if I just give up on long scale guitars and give in to the greater comfort of the short scale? I mean, a D-18 is a beautiful thing, no doubt.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:00 PM

If it allows you to express your music with no obstacles or discomfort, you're giving up absolutely nothing...
Old 05-12-2021, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

If you've elected to switch to short scale because it's easier to reach complex chords then I would have to say no.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 05-12-2021, 10:20 PM

Absolutely not! If it is more comfortable for you, that matters a great deal. It is a preference. The more comfortable you are with a certain aspect of the "feel" of the guitar, it will help you to play better. Scale length, neck shape, contour, fretboard radius, action, setup, nut width, string spacing, string gauge. These are all individual preferences that can be different for everyone. I'm primarily a fingerstyle player. My preference is for at least a 1 3/4" nut width. For someone else, perhaps a bluegrasser, a 1 11/16" nut width is right for them and helps them to play better. Don't feel self conscious about the scale length.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:22 PM

No I don't think so. I have small hands and there are things I just cannot do. No point forcing it but find a way to play it differently.

I'm all about the path of least resistance
Old 05-12-2021, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
I’ve been playing a few years. I have a Yamaha FS700s, my first guitar, which is a short scale. I also have a GA, which is a long scale. It sounds better, but it’s definitely more of a chore to play...
The fact that the GA sounds better to you may have nothing to do with scale length, and more to do with the many details that shape the tonal qualities of a guitar. I've gradually settled on scale lengths of 25" or less, mostly for comfort when playing. But that's not really the whole story either. For me, it's mainly the distance out to the nut. That's not only determined by scale length but also by bridge placement. If your GA is a chore to play, that's telling you something - and its not that you're lazy
Old 05-12-2021, 10:40 PM

Wink

Play whichever scale you find comfortable playing. It depends on how much dexterity you have in your wrist, your height, age and other factors.

I have long scale (25.4”), short scale (25”) and super short scale (23.5”). I actually prefer 24.9” or 25” scale length. Sometimes I capo the first fret of my long scale guitars to make them easier to play.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:37 AM

One word: no. Play what you like.

I dislike short scales. All of my guitars are long scale (650mm) except the baritone which is very long at 730mm. Long scale is much nicer to play in my book. I recently tried out a couple of lovely Martin 000s and probably the main reason I didn't buy one or the other is because I disliked the over-soft, floppy strings that you get with short scale guitars. My left hand misses the snap-back and my right hand just hates them. I may well never buy a short scale guitar. I simply don't like them.

If instead you dislike long scales, more power to you! Own, play, and enjoy whatever works for you.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:34 AM

It could save your shoulder...
Old 05-13-2021, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

I think you'll find that if you have you long scale guitar set up properly, it won't feel much different than you short scale.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:16 AM

I own some guitars with long scales, and two with short scales. I use round core and/or torque compensated (Straight Up Strings) strings in my long scales, and hexcore strings on my short scales, making all my guitars feel similar in regards to the ease of bends, etc. As a result, the main difference for me with long vs. short scales is how easy it is to do certain reaches...which means that on most songs, there isn’t a meaningful difference (because most of the songs i play don’t require big reaches).

There are differences in tone, of course, but that is true is often true when comparing among guitars of the same scale length.

It sounds like OP has a different experience than i do.

But, as others have said, if you can get what you want from short scale guitars, there is no problem, and no need to apply a critical term like “lazy” to your experience.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:36 AM
Eric Skye

I went all short scale years ago and never look back. I can play more expressively on a short scale, and I prefer the tone. Follow your muse.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I have a short scale 57 Gibson. I've tried a couple of long scale Martins,
d-28s. All are "good" guitars. I gravitate to the Gibson, I wonder if I like
the short scale too? Anywho... since the Martins don't work for me, I've
gotten a Kopp AJ... long scale... I'm not used to it yet, so Ida know... I
wonder if I'll still gravitate to the Gibson?

-Mike
Old 05-13-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I went all short scale years ago and never look back. I can play more expressively on a short scale, and I prefer the tone. Follow your muse.
The relative difference in the tone and attack of different scales is definitely a factor, it's not just about the ease of playing!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 05-13-2021, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is it lazy to just play short scales?
Yes, but not as lazy as the old guys that always put a capo on 2 (like me, )

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion