The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-30-2021, 03:44 PM

I dont have any Zinnser spray shellac left, so Ive started to look around for it.

I have a bad feeling the entire range of zinnser SPRAY shellacs is being discontinued as its not on the Rust Oleum website I visited, only in some retail outlets.

Does anyone have any information regarding this ?

Ive read its important that these spraying shellacs have not been sitting on a shop shelf for too long.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:54 PM

I have heard a lot about zinnser spray shellac over the years, we cannot get it here locally, we get a white tinted version for sealing smoke stains etc, so totally unusable for guitars

I personally do not spray shellac, I mix some fresh stuff up as required and rub it into the surface, let it dry, scuff sand, apply again, then paint

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-01-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I have heard a lot about zinnser spray shellac over the years, we cannot get it here locally, we get a white tinted version for sealing smoke stains etc, so totally unusable for guitars

I personally do not spray shellac, I mix some fresh stuff up as required and rub it into the surface, let it dry, scuff sand, apply again, then paint

Steve
If I cant find fresh Zinsser Shellac, I think I will go with what I have experience with.
Either acrylic or nitrocellulose lacquer, and just use either as the seal coat.

Only thing is though, I need to find out what stain to use in subsequent clear coats as Ive only sprayed acrylic lacquer solid colour coats on guitars.
With Zinsser shellac , I know I can use spirit (alcohol) based stains.
I dont know what type of stain is compatible with acrylic and nitro lacquers. Would you know this ?
Old 05-01-2021, 01:18 AM

I use trans tint dyes for nitro, i think most stains would be fine.

Your not really staining the top any more your really applying a coloured finish layer

My process is 3 coats clear, scuff sand flat, one / two or three coloured coats, followed by 3 more clear coats

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-01-2021, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I use trans tint dyes for nitro, i think most stains would be fine.

Your not really staining the top any more your really applying a coloured finish layer

My process is 3 coats clear, scuff sand flat, one / two or three coloured coats, followed by 3 more clear coats

Steve
Great. Im confident to do all you have said.
Thanks very much for your help, and I will do part 3 of this refinish thread ( if its turns out well, lol !) .
Old 05-01-2021, 08:00 AM

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Zinnser+s...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 05-01-2021, 03:35 PM

Thankyou Jon.
I am looking for the 1 litre cans so I can mix and spray with my gear and last night found some in Sydney Australia. Ive sent a question to the retailer re the date of manufacture .

The single spray can on the Amazon usa site link you provided is "out of stock", but the 3 pack further into the page is available. I wondered though if it can really be shipped to Australia in pressure tin form. Anyway , will see how I go with the Sydney retailer after they open tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post

The zinnser spray shellac'd violin. Sounds nice too. The product take a long time to dry properly, which can be shelf life related or so I've read.
With that being a home job (not meant as an insult) its come up really good, can you explain how you did it?

I paint cellos and violins all the time, but I do have a commercial paint booth and commercial business, would love to know how you got such a good looking finish.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-06-2021, 04:21 PM

Steve,
Ive been away for a few days and consequnetly, wading through emails etc. I will come back to you with a proper response once the dust settles here. I'll attach a couple more photos then too. Don
Old 05-13-2021, 10:41 PM

Just to close off this topic for now, I have responded to Mirwa by private conversation as I sent photos and a lengthy description of the process, which in a nutshell was.....trial and error.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Great. Im confident to do all you have said.
Thanks very much for your help, and I will do part 3 of this refinish thread ( if its turns out well, lol !) .
Here is one I finished up this week, the purpose of these photos is to show I used the trans tint dyes in the nitro finish not as a stain in the wood. The guitar originally had a plywood top that had torn out

Guitar for new top, Flame maple book matched, and next photo initial seal coats

Trans tints in the finish only
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 05-16-2021 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Here is one I finished up this week, the purpose of these photos is to show I used the trans tint dyes in the nitro finish not as a stain in the wood. The guitar originally had a plywood top that had torn out

Guitar for new top, Flame maple book matched, and next photo initial seal coats

Trans tints in the finish only

Beautiful work, mirwa.

And that's made my decision to definitely clear seal coat and stain the pre-cat lacquer, instead of spray shellac. Im thinking, given the age and bodytop flaws to go 30% gloss pre cat.

Is that jig in the first photo for a sloping back ?
Old 05-18-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Is that jig in the first photo for a sloping back ?
That is simply a clamping fixture for gluing centre joins between two pieces of wood

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair