The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-10-2021, 07:20 PM

Default I think we have a vintage Dobro?

Hello! I hope you all will bear with me: I'm not a guitar player (have wanted to learn, though), and don't know much at all. In the flower shop I work at, we came across a guitar in a case that the shop owner dropped off for us to possibly use in funeral work. It also came with a pack of strings and a "How To Play" book by Alvino Rey. Needless to say, this dusty, worn-out beauty isn't going to be used in funeral work. I took one picture, can take more if needed. I do know it's a round neck, and the Dobro logo is worn off but a part of the lyre is visible. Can anyone tell me what we've possibly got? (As I mentioned, I can take any other needed pics.) I'd love to learn more about its history. I'm tempted to buy it from the owner and learn on it, but the rehab may be more than I can pay. For now, I'd just love knowing more about this instrument! Thank you!! 😊

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YA3p8FmjPzbPv3jU9
Old 03-12-2021, 09:23 AM

Hello,
It appears you have a vintage, unusual dobro. You might try to locate a serial number. They are sometimes stamped on the end of the headstock.

This site is viewed by many experts who can perhaps help with identification:

https://www.resohangout.com/pages/forum/

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2021, 09:55 PM

Very cool. I'd string it up and see what it sounds like. It appears to have a metal nut extender for lap style play, right? It looks like they labeled the chords and that they had it tuned in open A (AC#EAC#E), which Bashful Brother Oswald used.

It might not need rehab unless something's broken or you want to play it Spanish style.

Last edited by columbia; 03-12-2021 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2021, 10:00 PM

Dobro was produced by Gibson back in the day, and they often stamped serial numbers into the back of the head stock (that's where mine are located).
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-14-2021, 04:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Dobro was produced by Gibson back in the day, and they often stamped serial numbers into the back of the head stock (that's where mine are located).
There's a patent pending stamp on the cover plate, so this predates Gibson by a very long time.

Gibson bought Dobro in 1993, and I'll bet this Dobro is from the early 1940's or so.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 03-14-2021, 10:04 AM

Dobro the original company was wound up in 1941, so this is prior to that. Slotted headstocks were replaced with solid in around 1936 - 37, so this is later than that. Round neck (?) 12 fret joint, unbound fretboard, two screened sound holes plus three holes plus single binding puts in at the low-mid range, as does the tail-piece. Might have been refinished blond, many/most were sunburst. I'm going to call this a 1937 - 38 Model 27 Regal made Dobro, but not sure. What is up with the headstock/tuners? What does the back look like? Very interesting guitar, by any measure.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:03 PM

My guess is that it is a Regal resonator, also.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:43 AM

You could ask Michael Messer on his forum. He's a resonator authority.
Stanford Furch D1P
Old 03-21-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Hawaiian nut adaptor implies rond neck. i.e not quite so valuale and may possibly indicate bnt neck issues if used in Hawiian style.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:23 PM

https://massstreetmusic.com/products...-1932-model-45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
dobro, dobro resonator