The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I found this interesting. Sounds great on violin!

https://youtu.be/ycZfs_L3CTw
Tonedexter has a specific firmware for violin.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-29-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Tonedexter has a specific firmware for violin.
For sure, it's just nice to see how Voiceprint works with other instruments. I need to update my Tonedexter but I do want to try the VP soon. The convenience of making IR's is very appealing. I am finding that I am very lazy when it comes to setting up mics and recording. It's probably just the result of not having much free time!
Old 01-29-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
For sure, it's just nice to see how Voiceprint works with other instruments.
What would be the explanation for Tonedexter working with violins and Voiceprint not to? It's the same technology.

When Tonedexter was released, there were already demos with violins. The technology has no reason to be limited to any instruments. James May once said it, it mostly correct the pickup response.

You could put K&K pickups on your car engine and use Tonedexter to have a more "natural" engine tone. It would work!
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-29-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
What would be the explanation for Tonedexter working with violins and Voiceprint not to? It's the same technology.

When Tonedexter was released, there were already demos with violins. The technology has no reason to be limited to any instruments. James May once said it, it mostly correct the pickup response.

You could put K&K pickups on your car engine and use Tonedexter to have a more "natural" engine tone. It would work!
Well that's like saying all 4K TV's will showcase HDR content in the same way. That's just not the truth. I truly believe that every prodct is different so I really trust the demos online that show how they behave. I do feel as though it would be a bit of a challenge to make an IR with the voiceprint and a violin. I guess you would have to put it on a music stand or something to get it to the right height.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Well that's like saying all 4K TV's will showcase HDR content in the same way. That's just not the truth. I truly believe that every prodct is different so I really trust the demos online that show how they behave.
You made a point. However from a pure technical point of view there is no reason why it should not work. What is very interesting is that James Mays said TD algorithm makes absolutely NO assumption on the instrument. If it is the case, then the firmware difference is only due to EQ frequency settings (Bass/Mid/Treble).

However one could assume that Baggs did make assumptions with the Voiceprint DI so as to make it "incompatible" with violin. But given how making IR works and what we know from the voiceprint it is very unlikely... But not impossible. Here is for example the frequency range of some instruments. acoustic guitar and violin are 2nd and 3rd

The acoustic guitar main range is below 4KHz whereas the violin goes up to 16kHz. If Baggs had deliberately add a low-pass filter between 4KHz and 16KHz then it might have been the case. But I still believe that even wich such an assumption the Voiceprint would been able to improve the violin sound because for all the main audible frequency range the IR would have brought nice correction. In a general manner, when you mix, EQing between 400Hz-4KHz does the big part of the job.

Quote:
I do feel as though it would be a bit of a challenge to make an IR with the voiceprint and a violin. I guess you would have to put it on a music stand or something to get it to the right height.
A mic stand and phone holder would work perfectly I guess... Because of COVID mine has served for so many purpose except music...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-13-2021, 07:34 AM

For those interested, Baggs just posted a couple videos with Trey Hensley and in one of them (posted below), he uses the Voiceprint with the M80. I know there was discussion around how it would work with magnetic pickups so I thought I would post it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syOgzrmBoDQ
Old 05-13-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Petty for the update. it's interesting how a 'Voiceprint first look' thread became focused exclusively on Tonedexter.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Thanks Petty for the update. it's interesting how a 'Voiceprint first look' thread became focused exclusively on Tonedexter.
Yeah, I wasn't sure which thread to post this in as there are a few dedicated to the Voiceprint. However, as you mentioned, they seem to all shift to the Tonedexter or what goes into creating IR's.

This is the one I saw first by Trey. It's just his Martin dread with the Anthem SL. It honestly sounds great, especially with the blend down at around 80%. Maybe a tad bit thin/bright for my tastes but it seems more "plug and play" than some IR's I have tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lT9fgqWG6E&t=3s
Old 05-13-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't sure which thread to post this in as there are a few dedicated to the Voiceprint. However, as you mentioned, they seem to all shift to the Tonedexter or what goes into creating IR's.

This is the one I saw first by Trey. It's just his Martin dread with the Anthem SL. It honestly sounds great, especially with the blend down at around 80%. Maybe a tad bit thin/bright for my tastes but it seems more "plug and play" than some IR's I have tried.

Thanks for this link! That amplified guitar sound would definitely make me happy. The only question for me is how well the anti-feedback circuitry will work in a noisy and acoustically difficult room.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, thanks again for this post. It seemed like in response to a question I had early in the thread it was implied that Baggs was overstating how well the Voiceprint would work with the Taylor ES1 and Anthem SL pickups I have. That it might work with these pickups was one of the attractions to it for me.

I just don't have a need to argue about those kinds of details on a forum so have not posted anything else before now.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:10 AM

Default LR Baggs Voiceprint (Soundscape) DI FIRST LOOK!

Is it just me, or do these videos by Trey sound really “hifi” ?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Is it just me, or do these videos by Trey sound really “hifi” ?
I find that to be the Baggs sound to be honest. I notice it as well. It's kind of why I have struggled with their pickups in the past. They do seem to enhance the high end in their videos though.

With that said, the Voiceprint can be used with any piezo style pickup and you can eq to sound warmer.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Its interesting that the Voiceprint DI seems to work so well with the Anthem and Lyric systems. I recall that one of the TD users (a beta tester, if I recall correctly) actually swapped out his Lyric for a Mini Pure because the Mini Pure works much better with TD.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

IMHO, these LR BAGGS videos all sound great because along with whatever device is being demoed, the recording process is likely also using multiband compression and saturation provided by expensive outboard studio gear. The LR BAGGS Session Acoustic DI with its multiband/saturation controls will get a tone part way there but not like the expensive audio gear that is likely being used to generate these videos. All that along with selective manipulation of the recorded waveform using ProTools or whatever makes for a wonderful recorded guitar tone.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-14-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Its interesting that the Voiceprint DI seems to work so well with the Anthem and Lyric systems. I recall that one of the TD users (a beta tester, if I recall correctly) actually swapped out his Lyric for a Mini Pure because the Mini Pure works much better with TD.
Definitely! I thought it might have been marketing at play, especially since the Anthem is a Baggs system. However, I have now listened to at least 5-6 demos of the Anthem SL with the Voiceprint and so far, they are my favourite results. I mean I like it so much that I am considering going back to the Anthem. My hope is that the VP will fix some of the things I disliked about the Anthem (a weird hollow mid range, somewhat hifi high end etc.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification