The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 06:42 PM

Default NGD & review: Maton EA808 'Australian'

NEW GEAR WARNING! Might induce GAS.
View at own risk.

Sooo, I recently acquired this Maton EA808 'Australian'.

Budget was not really an issue, I was hunting for a high quality guitar to play acoustically (not plug in), and was open minded on what i was after, so I just walked into several local stores and started playing. I must have played multiple whole walls of guitars over several weeks before settling on this Maton EA808 Bunya/Blackwood.

This particular guitar edged out numerous other guitars which also impressed me (Cole Clark Angel, Taylor 314, Taylor 614, Martin OM28, Singapore Maestro Victoria (in that order for preference)).

I play mostly fingerstyle, which I think is where this guitar shines.
The tone of this guitar is very unique, likely due to the Bunya top. It has a very clear sparkle to the highs, but very well rounded at the same time, the tone is almost like it has been processed. No rough/sharp edges to the high end notes. Just clean rounded, slightly delayed attack. Almost between mahogany and spruce in its speed of attack. Its so addictive that I sometimes just play simple single note just to appreciate the tone.

However, what sets this one apart from all the others I was also impressed with is that it has a distinct GROWL to the low notes. I sometimes have to snap myself out of repetitively playing low E chords (E, Em, Eadd9, E7), as I just keep doing it over and over just appreciating the GROWL. This was definitely not a feature I was specifically looking for, or ever really noticed much, but now i'm fully addicted to this tone. Its like having a built in overdrive pedal. This guitar worked particularly well in drop D tuning, which further amplifies this effect.

I find this video to provide a very faithful reproduction of the tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUJtV6H3lQ0
The growl can be heard in the opening strum.

So, yes, i'm fully in love with this guitar and the unique tone that it brings. Amazing for playing a whole range of things, but particularly suited to blues, to jazzy stuff.

However, as with almost all purchases, it doesn't come without some drawbacks.
Firstly, the Bunya/Blackwood Maton combo does not come with a cutaway. There is no such model. I bought it purely on tone, but I really miss having a cutaway, more than I imagined. Although I rarely play up there, I find myself having to skip a song or two which needed high fret access. Not a deal breaker, but if Maton ever makes an EA808-Australian with cutaway, i'll consider swapping over for sure!

Secondly, some aspects of the finishing left me a little wanting. The fret edges were sharp (not from neck shrinkage), its just the frets are not rounded off enough. This was fixed with some DIY fret rounding using masking tape and fret rubber (400 & 1000 grit) followed by fret polishing. Was only a ~45-60 min job though, so no big deal.

Finally, it had very roughly cut nut, to a point where it caused the low B to have poor fundamental note sustain. I had to smoothen it out a little and add a little graphite to lubricate. This was a 10 min job, but still felt that this should never have been allowed in a guitar of this price range (~AUD2800),

However, other than missing a cutaway, the other issues were easily solvable and I'm really really pleased with this purchase. Its one of the rare purchases which I hardly have any buyer's remorse. The store I was buying from had a 30 day return policy, but I knew right away this was a keeper!

My little daughters love the tone too, and was already talking over who gets to keep my maton when I ever expire!

Specs:
Face Bunya
Back and Sides: "AA" Blackwood w/ Blackwood and Rock Maple Pinstripe Zipper
Neck: Blackwood
Fingerboard & Bridge: Desert Acacia
Bracing: Scalloped Maton X
Face Inlay/Rosette: Herringbone
Inner Binding: Herringbone
Outer Binding: Blackwood w/Maple Pinstripe
Scale Length: 64.77cm (25.5")
Headstock Veneer: Blackwood, Maple Pinstripe/Keyhole
Fingerboard Radius: 304.8mm (12")
Nut Width: 44.1mm (1.736" - 1 47/64")
14th Fret: Width 55mm (2.165" - 2 11/64")

Last edited by kcboy; 05-13-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:44 PM

Nice one, Kcboy!

I think you'll find that the sound you describe is more about the Blackwood back and sides than the Bunya top. Yes, top wood is generally more important than back and sides wood, but Bunya is very similar to spruce, where the things you describe are very much the classic Blackwood sound. For a Maton 808 in Blackwood with a cutaway, you want the EBG808C Nashville. It has a Sitka Spruce top and (unfortunately in my view) a sunburst finish. (There was also the 70th Anniversary model but that's no longer in production and would probably cost a bomb if you could find one.) I would love an 808 Artist myself (Sitka Spruce and Blackwood, no cutaway) but I'm out of space for more guitars.

Secondly, I am surprised to hear about the detail finish issues you mention. That is very unlike Maton. It put me in mind of the sharp corners of the nut on my Cole Clark 12-string - another guitar manufactured in the shadow of the pandemic and bought new in late December last year. That too was something I did not expect. In the end I just applied a few strokes with a nail file and cut them some slack. It's good as gold now. Just the same, I suspect that both manufacturers have been feeling the pressure of trying to fill lots of backorders under trying working conditions. Maybe we should both have let them know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcboy View Post
This particular guitar edged out numerous other guitars which also impressed me (Cole Clark Angel, Taylor 314, Taylor 614, Martin OM28, Singapore Maestro Victoria (in that order for preference).
Yes. I think the guitars that people almost buy along the way to the final choice is always interesting. When I bought my Cole Clark Angel, it edged out (in order) a Maton EBG808TE (that's the Tommy Emmanuel model, spruce and Queensland Maple), Taylor 314, Maton EBG808TEC, Martin D-28, and an old second-hand Gretsch. Six months later, the Messiah edged out the Maton EBG808TE again (so I nearly bought that one twice!), Cole Clark Angel 2 in redwood, Martin OM-28, and the Taylor 314 again. I didn't care for the 7-series Taylors I tried. Interesting how similar our "didn't quite buy" lists are!
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
Nice one, Kcboy!

I think you'll find that the sound you describe is more about the Blackwood back and sides than the Bunya top. Yes, top wood is generally more important than back and sides wood, but Bunya is very similar to spruce, where the things you describe are very much the classic Blackwood sound. For a Maton 808 in Blackwood with a cutaway, you want the EBG808C Nashville. It has a Sitka Spruce top and (unfortunately in my view) a sunburst finish. (There was also the 70th Anniversary model but that's no longer in production and would probably cost a bomb if you could find one.) I would love an 808 Artist myself (Sitka Spruce and Blackwood, no cutaway) but I'm out of space for more guitars.

Secondly, I am surprised to hear about the detail finish issues you mention. That is very unlike Maton. It put me in mind of the sharp corners of the nut on my Cole Clark 12-string - another guitar manufactured in the shadow of the pandemic and bought new in late December last year. That too was something I did not expect. In the end I just applied a few strokes with a nail file and cut them some slack. It's good as gold now. Just the same, I suspect that both manufacturers have been feeling the pressure of trying to fill lots of backorders under trying working conditions. Maybe we should both have let them know about it.

Yes. I think the guitars that people almost buy along the way to the final choice is always interesting. When I bought my Cole Clark Angel, it edged out (in order) a Maton EBG808TE (that's the Tommy Emmanuel model, spruce and Queensland Maple), Taylor 314, Maton EBG808TEC, Martin D-28, and an old second-hand Gretsch. Six months later, the Messiah edged out the Maton EBG808TE again (so I nearly bought that one twice!), Cole Clark Angel 2 in redwood, Martin OM-28, and the Taylor 314 again. I didn't care for the 7-series Taylors I tried. Interesting how similar our "didn't quite buy" lists are!
I'm pretty sure i'm hearing the Bunya, especially regarding the bright-rounded-highs with milder attack and some compression (less sensitive and harsh than spruce). I noticed the same tonal characteristic in the 808 Performer slim body (Bunya) too, but didn't like the tone of the back/side Qld Maple, it was a tad too bright and direct, and similar'ish character in Cole Clark bunya tops.

Surprisingly, none of the spruce top Matons made 'the list', as they didn't resonate with me at all. I played the whole range 808C, Artist808, TE808, Nashville and even the Messiah 808. I was surprised myself too why I didn't particularly bond with the Messiah since it was among the best sounding guitar based on youtube videos. Maybe that one was a dud, or had too new/too old strings, i can't remember.

You are probably right that the low end growl might be the blackwood as I did notice some of that on a Taylor with blackwood.

Indeed, our 'edge-ed out' list seems quite similar, and I can understand why. I still have in my head the tone of each guitar and why I prefer one over the other.
- I remember Martin being amazing but too 'ordinary'. Its like if you ever imagine the sound of a guitar in your head, and then play a martin, thats what it sounds like! Plus it also looks ordinary... like a Martin.
- Taylor 314 and 614 were close, I prefer 314 based purely on the clarity of the notes. There was a quirkiness to 614 that felt odd but could be the guitar. Very close between the two.
- Cole Clark Angel Bunya had an amazing tone! I would describe it as 'transcendent' tone, very clean round high ends somewhat similar to the EA808 (likely the Bunya). Addictive to play! I must have spent hours playing the same Cole Clark Angel Bunya in the shop. But I was disappointed with the low volume. I had to dig in to get the bass to balance out with the trebles. Since i intend to play acoustically only, this was the key reason I didn't go with it. In fact, if it wasn't for the EA808, this would have been my choice.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:06 PM

Wow! Congrats! Beautiful Maton! Yes, it is GAS inducing. Its tone sounds great in the video.

Thanks for the review! Is the lower bout 16” or 15”? It would be great to see a picture of the back of the guitar.

Enjoy playing and bonding with your Maton!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-14-2021, 12:09 AM

365mm, Coll555, that's about 14.4 inches. Overall, an 808 is about 10% smaller than an OM as viewed from the front, but about 20% deeper.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
365mm, Coll555, that's about 14.4 inches. Overall, an 808 is about 10% smaller than an OM as viewed from the front, but about 20% deeper.
Thanks Tannin. That is about the same width as my 00-15M that I just measured.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-14-2021, 01:24 AM

Nice one, I like the Matons, hope to try one soon. Thought about the Australian or the Artist. Congrats!
Old 05-14-2021, 07:14 AM

Very cool guitar and I loved the tone in the video you shared. Have never played a Maton but they sure look nice. Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2021, 01:18 PM

Very nice guitar!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-15-2021, 07:11 PM

Congratulations!

No 1 Maton 808 fan here - I have 3 with vastly different timbers.....SRS808, Custom black EBG808, Messiah 808.......

Little story.....I was in a short line at my luthier’s waiting to pick up a repair and the guy in front of me was picking up his Maton Australian after it had a setup. I couldn’t help but overhear him saying to the luthier he wasn’t sure what to do with the pickup settings....

Ahem, aha, ‘scuse me, looky here! ha ha.

The luthier has this fabulous Bose array for people to test their newly installed pickups and next thing I am playing the Maton with my particular pickup settings and it sounded great plugged direct to the Bose!

Bass, Treble, Master Volume sliders on the middle detent, a quick mid range sweep to remove the kloinks, pickup volume control to full, internal mic control to just below it feeding and Voila! Best plugged in sound on the planet from a guitar off the rack! I fingerpicked a bit of blues and looked up to see a few customers and the luthier staring with mouths agape!

So you have bought a live guitar weapon and you are not plugging it in? Hmm. Hmmmmmm.

Enjoy!

BluesKing777.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:37 PM

Good story

But why buy a beautiful guitar with such outstanding acoustic tone and waste it by putting it through an amplifier?

Each to his own. I don't think I've ever plugged my Messiah 808 in, nor the Cole Clark 12-string. I have plugged the other two, briefly, just to try them out. Yuk. Much nicer without the amp.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:31 PM

Maton 808s are designed and built heavier for gigging and hopefully to survive the road, and have the ability to plug straight in to a PA anywhere, anytime with its sensational Maton AP5-Pro pickup system.

Why buy that whole package if you never plug in and gig? You could get a more resonant guitar without all the pickup system.

BluesKing777.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:37 PM

Not one with that wonderful Maton tone and longevity.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:29 PM

^^^^
BK777 made a very valid point that this plugged/unplugged deal works both ways.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-16-2021, 06:05 PM

OK. But what was it? The reality is that the pickup system makes no difference worth mentioning to the sound, and only a small difference to the cost. Maton only make three or four guitars without the standard pickup, and they are all low-end models at the very bottom of their range. Still nice guitars, sure, but not to be compared with an Artist or a Messiah or a TE or an Australian. Nothing else sounds like a Maton: if you want the sound, you get the pickup whether you use it or not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion