The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Default E string roll-off

Not sure about the correct terminology for this phenomenon, but I've notice that on a couple of guitars (one by a local luthier, and an Avalon), the low and high E strings sometimes roll off the edge of the fingerboard with certain chord shapes or transitions. OTOH, this absolutely never occurs with my Webber. Any ideas about the reason for this? Obviously, it's partly down to my technique, but could it be related to fingerboard radius, string spacing, some other factor? Any suggestions to correct this?

Visually, the distance between the E strings and the edge of the fingerboard doesn't look any different between the three guitars, but I haven't actually measured it.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:17 AM

Assuming the neck taper is well suited to the specified string spacing at the saddle, this can be due to a few things. Improperly cut nut slots (too close to the edges) which is an easy fix - just have a new nut made for around $50-100. Or if the fret ends were beveled at too much of an angle, the string can easily roll off the edge, and that's not quite as simple of a fix. Lastly, if neither of those are really an issue, technique is usually to blame.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Probably the fingerboard more prone to roll-off has a more rounded edge. The other fingerboard has a sharper edge - therefore more width before it slopes down.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Assuming the neck taper is well suited to the specified string spacing at the saddle, this can be due to a few things. Improperly cut nut slots (too close to the edges) which is an easy fix - just have a new nut made for around $50-100. Or if the fret ends were beveled at too much of an angle, the string can easily roll off the edge, and that's not quite as simple of a fix. Lastly, if neither of those are really an issue, technique is usually to blame.
That's my initial thought.

MBee (OP), can you post a pic of the nut and also the neck?
Old 05-11-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That's my initial thought.

MBee (OP), can you post a pic of the nut and also the neck?
Thanks for the input. I'll get some pics together tonight.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:42 AM

If it happens on some guitars and not others it is the fret ends and technique.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:53 PM

This also happens on my Les Paul
Old 05-13-2021, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

You're not alone on this and as you say it can happen on various guitars. It may also depend on fretting technique. You've alluded to some possible causes:
1) E-string groove on the nut may be cut just a tad too close to edge or the whole nut may be slightly shifted toward that direction.
2) The fret wire(s) may be dressed/rolled-off a bit too aggressively at the end so the string starts sliding "outward".
3) If it has more to do with fretting technique going up one gauge (e.g. .012 to .013) on the e-string can help. With less flexibility on that string you may find you're not "pushing" it as close to the edge when fretting. Just a thousandth(s) of an inch can be the difference between trouble and no trouble.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

I used to own a J45 Mahogany with the high e string roll off. I had a new nut made… solved the issue.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:35 PM

Whut gmel555 said, is easy and inexpensive. You could get a supply of single strings.

But probably there is a technique issue as well. I would spend a week or two making sure you are touching close to the fret. Many of us reach too short on that string and it is worthwhile getting better at that for good. Set your mind to it, - Stevo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion