The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 06:21 PM

Inventory is down everywhere. Fortunately my local shop has a good tech and I've taken a couple pieces in to him.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-13-2021, 06:53 PM

^ Not everywhere. Plenty of stock in all my local shops. One or two brands are in short supply because of production backlogs (notably Martin, high-end Yamaha), but plenty of Taylor, Maton, Guild, Cole Clark, and Sheeran guitars in the shops, with lots of cheaper brands such as Epiphone, Tanglewood, Ovation, and Yamaha also available. Stock was short back around December but is pretty close to normal now.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, you waltzed into your music store and bought whatever phosphor bronze strings they carried, and a Shubb capo. Strings and capo worked just fine. My, they had a D 28 and a D 18. Full stop right there, I never, ever saw a new anything in our local stores besides Taylors, Fenders and Alvarez. If you were lucky you might see a used Gibson every few years.. That right there is where on line stores stepped in and kicked our local stores collective *****. Lucky day. ..etc etc... rest of quote.........
The time indeed must have been long ago and the galaxy far enough away to be beyond my frame of reference. Sure, I'll keep buying my strings, capos, etc. locally if the price is right, I'm sure lots of folks who buy on line couldn't care less about fancy strings, etc. But I'm just not interested in buying Taylors, Fenders, etc. as a major purchase, nothing against the brand, I just like brands the locals don't have. I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened in lots of places.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

The best we can do is support our local businesses by giving them business! If that means paying a little bit more*, whether it be for guitars or accessories I'll do it to help keep a local shop in business. I'm okay with that because I find I get added value from a service standpoint when I know the retailer and they know me. I've recently moved though and don't have the same situation anymore, but I still order "long distance" from the same small businesses whenever possible.
(* of course how much "more", does have limits)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:25 AM

The reason I play guitar is due to a small local proprietor. He took me on as a student, is patient as I struggle through year 1. I’ve purchased two guitars here, both times had weeks to try out and take home many new and used guitars to test drive. No collateral, no pressure, honor system. He has inventory ranging from $$$ to $$$$$. Prices are competitive with online.

It’s a gathering place, lots of characters from old farts who own too many guitars to professional women, judges, physicians, etc.

Offers and opportunities to meet others to gig with and learn from. Posters announcing live music events.

Hours are limited and unpredictable, that’s part of the adventure.

That’s the experience I love and value which online isn’t able to replicate.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
And there's the whole TMI thing. Events of these last few years have led to many people expressing their beliefs and opinions in very loud, ugly and sometimes violent ways. My closest local music shop proprietor is one who has gone this route. I just don't want to support his business or even enter his shop anymore.
I'm right there with you regarding one of my local area shops. It's one thing to express one's political views, but to do so in an insulting, degrading manor online to about half of the voting population simply because they don't agree with your views is not good for business. Of course he has the right to say whatever he wants, and I have to right to shop wherever I want. His competitor now gets all of my local business.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Have been supporting my local shop by offering up lesser played guitars on consignment.

So support your local music store, Buy, used.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Reading this thread makes me even more grateful to have this shop about a ten-minute drive from my house...

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 05-14-2021, 10:32 AM

I have three reknowned brick & mortar retailers around me,
one now part of a chain,
a century old family business and
a younger duet who unfortunately opened a third location just before the pandemic.

Sure their inventory melt like snow during the pandemic but they all still have an interesting inventory
and good stuff to satisfy most of their consumers.

I would say, I did not found as much good deals on the net as I was used to during the last year (when I could get in stores).

Last edited by mawmow; 05-14-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Reading this thread makes me even more grateful to have this shop about a ten-minute drive from my house...

oooooo That's nice.

I'd go broke if I lived around the corner from that place.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:31 AM

Chicago Music Exchange is my local store. It's also nice that I can order small stuff from them online when I can't make it downtown. I'll be going in the next few days to drop off a guitar for repair at 3rd Coast, so I'll swing by and spend some time there, the. Swing down to Down Home Guitars.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

There had been a local music retailer near me until a few years ago owned by a guy who opened when he felt like showing up. Which was hit or miss at best but usually miss. When he was there everything inside was cheap junk, overpriced and dusty. For some strange reason that eludes me, he closed down.

Consequently, my retailer of choice drives a brown truck.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:11 AM

I've done my best to support my local store, Mansons, here in Exeter throughout the past horrible year. I've dealt with them for some thirty years now; they've been good to me, treat me respectfully and I regard the owners and staff as friends. Yes, I could buy cheaper elsewhere but I value great service and knowledgeable, friendly staff over a few pounds saved.
These small retailers, whatever they might be selling, are the lifeblood of our high streets which are becoming boringly predictable clones of each other-the same chains everywhere, big retailers pricing the little guy out of competing, forcing businesses to close, and generally destroying the community 'feel' of our town centres. You could be anywhere; only the street names are different. I won't go into a rant about the 'good old days', but things have changed a lot and not necessarily for the better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion