The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-07-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Default High string spitting not singing with good measurements

Not sure what the problem is. There are a couple high spots, yet nothing major. Relief is at 5 and action a little high for me at 5/64 and maybe 7/64. The other strings play cleanly with no buzz. Nut slots are not too low. I want to say the saddle is not matched to the radius at the string, perhaps too much slope, but this would not effect things with the 12th fret measurement at 5/64. Perhaps the neck is off somehow. Really, guitars should be pleked to get things exactly right, as there seems to be always something.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

It may possibly be the bridge. I have dropped in a few bridges where everything was OK measurement wise but the 1st string sounded very harsh. Is the saddle compensated for the 1st string? That could be the issue. The forward throw of the compensation reduces the break angle, and I think that the string coming off the edge of the saddle rather than the centre also may effect the tone. It could be worth trying a new saddle.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:06 AM

Everybody uses tone descriptors differently: I have no idea what you mean by 'spitting', which makes it hard to help. Is it 'harsh', as Robin says, or more like a 'buzz'? Do high notes on the B string have the same issue? Does it change or go away if you tune the string up or down a little bit?
Old 05-07-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
It may possibly be the bridge. I have dropped in a few bridges where everything was OK measurement wise but the 1st string sounded very harsh. Is the saddle compensated for the 1st string? That could be the issue. The forward throw of the compensation reduces the break angle, and I think that the string coming off the edge of the saddle rather than the centre also may effect the tone. It could be worth trying a new saddle.
The intonation is a little off and maybe this is a sign of what you describe. I'll take a look. It sounds more like fret sizzle than being harsh though, the string being hindered from upper dynamics. The guitar is pretty new and I suspect is settling into itself still and needs to be brought into a meticulous tech, except none exists locally, to my frustration.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
Everybody uses tone descriptors differently: I have no idea what you mean by 'spitting', which makes it hard to help. Is it 'harsh', as Robin says, or more like a 'buzz'? Do high notes on the B string have the same issue? Does it change or go away if you tune the string up or down a little bit?
Sizzle buzz spit: string buzz on frets. Stays same with tuning. B is fine untill far up the neck.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:37 AM

Sounds to me like a fret/relief/action issue, but without the guitar on the bench...
Old 05-09-2021, 09:12 PM

Flat spot on the saddle?
Old 05-09-2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Really, guitars should be pleked to get things exactly right, as there seems to be always something.
Nope, could not dis-agree with you more, plek is good as a tool for a business that has people that know nothing about guitars, put the guitar in hit the button adjust the truss rod when it tells you too etc. Sometimes well know business's use a plek machine as well but I feel this is more trying to keep up with the sales hype

The problem is you need a good guitar tech guy, someone that actually knows what they are doing and not simply someone that buys some stewmac tools and reckons they know how to set a guitar up.

Ask around find a good tech, it will cost you 1/3 the price of getting it plekked
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair