The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-27-2020, 04:21 PM

Another positive I’ve found with the HypeMic is that it works properly with headphones with TRRS mic connections like Apple EarBuds. Note that the headphone mic isn’t used (since you are using the HypeMic instead) but at least the headphones do. That is just so convenient, especially on something portable like this!
Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 PM

I'm using an old set of Audio Technica headphones into the Hype Mic and they sound great together. I'm using them because of the 1/8" jack they have. Works perfect.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-27-2020, 10:03 PM

So, what are the impressions of the recording with the mic so far? Is the compression a game changer for you? Would you recommend the mic to others? Should we have gotten something different?

Not to taint the jury pool, but I’m really happy with mine.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:22 PM

For me at least, the compression is only for livestreaming. I wouldn't like it except that it is nowhere near as bad as what Zoom does with dynamics without it.

To my ear, it sounds like a decent $300-$400 condenser mic (AKG 214, Cad E100, etc.). It is similar to recording with a decent condenser mic and interface. I won't be using the compression for recording.

It really needs a shock mount. I'm pondering different compact designs.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-27-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:44 AM

To be fair, I haven't used it much because I've been working 7 days a week since I got it, and just haven't had time to use it. I did make one acoustic guitar recording with it and it blew away my AKG C214. The difference was noticeable right away. With one recording it became my favorite mic that I own, I'm taking it today on a mobile recording to record a 12 string guitar I'm buying just to use with this mic. I'm getting a very natural and realistic sound of my D-35, can't ask for more than that....

I did buy a couple of 3' Micro B extension cables to place the mic further away from the camera...

Only down side is the pop filter mounting bracket came apart in my hands while trying to mount it. Then I scratched some of the paint off the back of the mic while trying to tighten the pop filter down. A little gorilla glue will fix the pop filter, but I'll have to live with the scratched paint. No big deal but a little annoying. Still overall a great mic.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-28-2020, 11:23 AM

One thing that has become apparent to me is how much physically better lightning is to a USB-C connection. Yes, USB-C is technologically better in that it includes things like built-in Ethernet and HDMI support, but the connection is mechanically flimsy. My phone is less than two years old and the connector is already loose and intermittent even with several brand new cables. Meanwhile, the lightning connectors in my two year old plus iPad Pro and four year old plus iPad mini both function like new even with old cables.

Using my Android phone with the HypeMic is mainly frustrating because of the flimsiness of the USB-C connection and how it cuts out even with the slightest movement of the cable.

I’ve been reading that iPhone users have been rebelling against the idea of iPhones moving to USB-C and I can see why!
Old 05-28-2020, 01:53 PM

Here's a friend of mine playing my new/used Alvarez 12 string, recorded with the iPhone 7 and HypeMic.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jzb...ature=youtu.be

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-28-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

So have users not found the on-board compressor to be that useful? Or really only useful for livestream applications?
Old 05-29-2020, 01:45 PM

I use the second position for recording guitar, seems to sound pretty good to me. I'm glad it's there, that was one of the main selling points to me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-29-2020, 08:37 PM

I use the second setting for streaming and the first setting for recording. Seems to work well for my music. YMMV
Old 06-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I use the second setting for streaming and the first setting for recording. Seems to work well for my music. YMMV
I've heard your livestreaming and it sounded excellent. Do you have an example of a recording or video recorded with this first compression setting.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I've heard your livestreaming and it sounded excellent. Do you have an example of a recording or video recorded with this first compression setting.

I’ll try and post one. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6gv...ature=youtu.be
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 AM

How do you set up your hypemic? I’d love to hear how anyone having this mic sets the levels and compression and your preferred mic placement.

Specifically:
1. Do you set the levels first, then the compression? Do you find you need to reduce the gain after you set the compression because the signal is so boosted?

2. Do you set the compression first and then adjust the gain so it’s not too hot of a signal?

3.What do you find is the optimal peak level on the three lights, one, two or three lights lit green, not going above the second light, allowing it to peak with occasionally hitting orange?

4. If you sing and play acoustic guitar using this one mic, what have you found to be your favorite placement in therms of height and distance from the microphone? Do you use the supplied mini tripod or something else

Any tips and hints and observations appreciated! I am specifically trying to get a strong signal with compression for singing and playing guitar together for live streaming, so not able to boost the level later in post.

I love the hypemic and I’m experimenting with all this, but haven’t hit on what I think sounds best yet.
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 05:25 PM

I'm using a pro grade projector stand to set up my Hype Mic along with a few other goodies, works great for me as everything I need for recording is right there at my fingertips.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

as far as settings go, I'm still experimenting too....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD