The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-25-2021, 09:34 AM

Default Bown 00 build - Lutz/Brazilian

Hi everyone

Ralph Bown is building a 00 for me, Lutz over Brazilian Rosewood. I have a left hand injury and need a smaller guitar than my current Sobell Steinbeck.

I first heard Ralph's guitars in the hands of John Renbourn and was smitten, but it was the shimmery gorgeousness of forum member Yrksman's Bown 00 that inspired me to talk with Ralph and he suggested he build me something similar.

Here are a few photos before he closes the box. More to follow I hope.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 04-27-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:09 PM

Looking great, Jonny. Not long now!
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 04-25-2021, 01:26 PM

Looks really good Jonny 👍

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 04-25-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Saw it in the flesh this afternoon. Looking good!!

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-25-2021, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Very elegant, look forward to hearing you play it. Good luck with your recovery, too.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Is the Spanish heel a standard feature? Do you know why he chooses to build that way?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-26-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Is the Spanish heel a standard feature? Do you know why he chooses to build that way?
Yes it is. Ralph started out building classical guitars and carried on using the Spanish when he changed to acoustics.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-27-2021, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
Hi everyone

Ralph Bown is building a 00 for me, Lutz over Brazilian Rosewood. I have a left hand injury and need a smaller guitar than my current Sobell Steinbeck.

I first heard Ralph's guitars in the hands of John Renbourn and was smitten, but it was the shimmery gorgeousness of forum member Yrksman's Bown 00 that inspired me to talk with Ralph and he suggested he build me something similar.

Here are a few photos before he closes the box. More to follow I hope.

Jonny

I didn't know he uses the classical guitar building approach for his steel-string guitars. Interstesing
Old 04-27-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovia123 View Post
I didn't know he uses the classical guitar building approach for his steel-string guitars. Interstesing
Great to have the opportunity to see the innards, especially the Spanish heel.

Stefan Sobell's neck joint is something similar, but apart from that, bolt on necks seem to be the norm - I discovered that Collings even use a bolt on neck which is odd given their adherence to the vintage Martin build concept. I'm sure the neck being integral to the body has an impact on the sound properties.

Apart from the heel, Ralph deviates from the classical build in that he closes the box with the top, not the back as classical builders would when building with a solera. (Interesting luthier trivia: in the Spanish classical guitar world, doble tapa, usually translated as double top, doesn't refer to a double soundboard, but to double back or lid, as the back is the lid that closes the box in Spanish builds.)

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 04-27-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
I discovered that Collings even use a bolt on neck which is odd given their adherence to the vintage Martin build concept. I'm sure the neck being integral to the body has an impact on the sound properties.
"Discovered" sort of implies that it was being hidden, which it clearly isn't.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-27-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
"Discovered" sort of implies that it was being hidden, which it clearly isn't.
I presumed Collings used similar neck joints to vintage Martins, it was a revelation to me they use a bolt on neck - I was only speaking for myself when I use the word discovered; perhaps we are separated by a common language.

Jonny
Old 04-28-2021, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jonny,

Excited to see this build coming together, and going to a player fully deserving of this special instrument.

Did you consider a cutaway? Given your classical background I suppose that you already master playing above the 12th frets without one.

Cheers,
Old 04-28-2021, 02:01 PM

Thanks Thom, I'm glad the build is well under way, once Ralph gets started he doesn't mess about, the box was closed today.

I've never really understood the need for a cutaway as a slight adjustment to the LH hand/thumb angle can easily manage stretches to the 19th, 20th fret. Then there is the whole debate over reduced air capacity, then (for those Somogyi builders) the area above the soundhole being a dead area and the cutaway having no detrimental impact on the sound...

I was happy for Ralph to replicate my classical guitar experience - we also spent hours discussing nut and saddle width and why steel string guitars are necessarily narrower than classical guitars, yet feeling the same under the fingers.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 04-28-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:55 AM

Default Bown

I am a bit taken aback by how heavily braced the top appears to be, having said that I thought the same thing when I saw how Daniel Friederich braced his.

I have never played a Bown but I have played a Friederich so I know looks can be deceiving, it will be fantastic I bet.

Best Regards Anthony.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
I am a bit taken aback by how heavily braced the top appears to be, having said that I thought the same thing when I saw how Daniel Friederich braced his.

I have never played a Bown but I have played a Friederich so I know looks can be deceiving, it will be fantastic I bet.

Best Regards Anthony.
This is my Bown 00-12 which Jonny has asked Ralph to replicate. Bown guitars are life changing.

(Brazilian/Lutz)

https://youtu.be/mK6bW3v9xms

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

44 in total (no wife)

www.chrisstern.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop