The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-14-2021, 06:39 AM

Default Question regarding recording piezo/preamp equipped acoustics with Zoom R8

Hi, I am new here and I am considering the Zoom R8 8-track recorder for future projects. My understanding is that the unit has built in condenser mics as well as 1/4 and XLR jacks. I have two acoustics, a Seagull equipped with a Godin preamp and a Taylor nylon with its ES-B preamp. Both acoustics utilize piezo transducers (IIRCC). My question is regarding the Zoom R8. Will the Zoom R8 record my acoustics using their onboard preamps and plugging in the 1/4 instrument cable? Would it be better to use a condenser mic separate from the dual set in the Zoom R8?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloven Hoof View Post
Hi, I am new here and I am considering the Zoom R8 8-track recorder for future projects. My understanding is that the unit has built in condenser mics as well as 1/4 and XLR jacks. I have two acoustics, a Seagull equipped with a Godin preamp and a Taylor nylon with its ES-B preamp. Both acoustics utilize piezo transducers (IIRCC). My question is regarding the Zoom R8. Will the Zoom R8 record my acoustics using their onboard preamps and plugging in the 1/4 instrument cable? Would it be better to use a condenser mic separate from the dual set in the Zoom R8?
You can plug either of your guitars into the R8 combo input and it will work fine. The built-in mics can be used, although using an external condenser mic and phantom power from the R8 will provide superior performance.

The built in mics can be used for quick n' dirty recording, but one of the disadvantages is that you can't easily positioned since they are part of the recorder.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Works OK - I recorded a Taylor 12 string with an ES2 and it sounded pretty good for a rhythm part. I would probably use an external mike for a solo or featured part.

A Baggs M1A on a Taylor 414 sounded less acoustic, but was also OK for a rhythm part that wasn't particularly featured. (They were tearing up the street outside, so I didn't have too much choice if I wanted to record in the morning, my usual time.)

The internal mikes work pretty well, and I've used them now and then for acoustic instruments.

D.H.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:46 AM

Thank you for the responses. I believe now that for the price and features that the Zoom R8 is perfect for what I want to do.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I believe now that for the price and features that the Zoom R8 is perfect for what I want to do.
I like to record with it, and edit/mix on the computer. The Zoom comes with a free copy of Cubase (lite version), which works well enough for what I do.

D.H.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD