The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 10:46 AM

Default NGD - Eastman E8D

Hey everyone,

I bought a used 2020 Eastman E8D last week, and finally opened up my E8D last night. It's an all solid spruce top with rosewood back and sides dread.

I attached some photos that my wife took, but they aren't the best quality. The guitar looks much prettier in person. I'm really happy with this guitar! I bought this thing used for $795 from Dave's Guitar Shop, and it's a 2020 model. I figured there may be some cosmetic issues considering how inexpensive it was, but it looks like a brand new guitar. Also, this guitar was packed excellently. They even wrapped up the truss rod tool lol. The guitar was just very carefully packaged, and I appreciate that.

The action on this guitar is perfect for me, and it's super playable. I read from some other posters in this forum and other forums that the neck is really thick/fat. But, that isn't my experience. I feel like the neck is actually more on the thin side which I really like. It's a really fast neck. I also have an Eastman E6OM that is super comfortable to play considering it's smaller. So, when I bought this E8D I worried it may be uncomfortable to play since it's a different body shape and bigger, but it's very comfortable to play! I honestly can't tell a huge difference between holding this and my E6OM.

I'm not sure which strings are on it, but I like them quite a bit. I have a set of GHS strings, Martin SP's, and another set of bluegrass strings that I'll try next probably.

Tone-wise, this thing just sings! It has wonderful overtones that I don't really get from my E60M. The E6OM is a great guitar, but I definitely prefer the voice of this E8D. The E6OM sounds great, but it does lack some on the low end. Maybe I just prefer the dread sound since it has more low end and a fuller sound, or maybe I just like rosewood more than hog. Or maybe it's both. It seems very balanced and not as scooped as some people say about rosewood guitars. The low end is great, mids seem good, and treble side is very crisp and bell like. This guitar seems to be suited for fingerstyle as much as strumming and flat-picking. The E6OM is a great fingerstyle guitar, but this E8D is just as good IMO. I love my E6OM, but I REALLY love this E8D.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this guitar. It sounds great! I don't know how Dave's Guitar Shop can sell a basically brand new E8D for $795, but it's a heck of a deal. I know that they have a great selection of Eastman's and I think they just got in another E8D if anyone is interested. They also have an E6D for like $695, and an E8OM for $795.

If anyone wants to check them out, here is their website:
https://davesguitar.com/?s=Eastman&submi...pe=product

Cheers,
Jordan
Old 09-30-2020, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I recently got one myself. I've been checking out Dave's lately myself, they have great pricing on used guitars.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Congrats! I recently got one myself. I've been checking out Dave's lately myself, they have great pricing on used guitars.
Thank you! How do you like your E8D? Yes, they do have some great pricing. I'm not sure how they sell them so low. I was expecting some bumps and bruises on this one since it was priced so low, but it looks brand new.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

As the owner of two Eastman guitars, let me say congrats. I wish people would stop saying that they are good guitars for the price. They are just flat out really good guitars.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Eastman! Great guitars for sure...I own three and they see a lot of "lap time"! Enjoy your E8D!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Congratulations, nice guitar!

HNGD to you
Old 09-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLife View Post
Thank you! How do you like your E8D? Yes, they do have some great pricing. I'm not sure how they sell them so low. I was expecting some bumps and bruises on this one since it was priced so low, but it looks brand new.
It's been my favorite of the Eastmans I've previously owned (E20OM-TC, E10D-TC, E10SS/v, E10SS). Time will tell if it sticks around. Most of mine get sold eventually because I have a disease
Old 09-30-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
As the owner of two Eastman guitars, let me say congrats. I wish people would stop saying that they are good guitars for the price. They are just flat out really good guitars.
I totally agree! This is my 2nd Eastman. My first was an E6OM. Which models do you have?
Old 09-30-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Congrats on the new Eastman! Great guitars for sure...I own three and they see a lot of "lap time"! Enjoy your E8D!
Thank you! Which models do you own?
Old 09-30-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
It's been my favorite of the Eastmans I've previously owned (E20OM-TC, E10D-TC, E10SS/v, E10SS). Time will tell if it sticks around. Most of mine get sold eventually because I have a disease
Nice. Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on one if the SS models.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:20 PM

Very pretty guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-30-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you! Which models do you own?
I have: E20D-TC/E10OM-TC/E2D-CD. The E10 is the only small body guitar I own. I'm a dread guy thru and thru. But having one OM is kind of nice. And the E10OM-TC has a lot to offer. Likes a flat pick about as much as bare fingers.

Last edited by llew; 09-30-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Very pretty guitar! Enjoy!
Thank you!
Old 09-30-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have: E20D-TC/E10OM-TC/E2D-CD. The E10 s the only small body guitar I own. I'm a dread guy thru and thru. But having one OM is kind of nice. And the E10OM-TC has a lot to offer. Likes a flat pick about as much as bare fingers.
Yeah, I'm a dread guy too. The OM's are super comfortable to play, but I just prefer the low end and full sound of a dread. I almost bought the E2D, and still may one of these days. I assume you like it?
Old 09-30-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a dread guy too. The OM's are super comfortable to play, but I just prefer the low end and full sound of a dread. I almost bought the E2D, and still may one of these days. I assume you like it?
YES! Love it. And I have vowed to not use the worn out phrase often associated with Eastman guitars (forgive me?) but, for $500 I do not see how they can do it? And while we're on the subject, I've never over driven the cedar top and i really like the satin open pore flat finish. Almost non-existent. Weights next to nothing and is a pure joy to play. Without a doubt THE BEST $500 I've ever spent on any guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion