The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-26-2020, 09:50 AM

Default Tormek Supergrind Wet Grind System

I have the opportunity to buy an as-new Tormek Supergrind 2004 for a very attractive price. Is anyone familiar with this machine? What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Bill
Old 09-26-2020, 11:59 AM

I have a Tormek.

The primary distinguishing feature of Tormek sharpening systems is their attachments. With those attachments, one can sharpen a very wide range of tools and shapes. The attachments generally work well but are very expensive. I use mine mostly for sharpening the odd shapes of lathe gouges, something easy to do with the appropriate Tormek attachments.

In general, I find the Tormek very slow at sharpening. The combination of relatively fine abrasive and slow speed results in it being a slow process, particularly if used to reshape tools. Even with the strop and buffing compounds, I find that tools don't get as sharp as other means, such as 8000 water stones. They are Sharp enough for general work, but just not as sharp when you want or need that true razor-sharp edge.

There are now a variety of cheaper knock-off machines, by Jet and others, that are very similar to the Tormek. Probably, some of them can use Tormek's attachments.

The WorkSharp machine, a fraction of the price of a Tormek, introduced an inexpensive attachment that would allow their glass-plate-with-abrasive format to make use of all of Tormek's attachments. Unfortunately, Tormek issued a cease and desist order that resulted in WorkSharp's attachment being discontinued. (I have a Worksharp - probably my favourite of the power-assist sharpening machines - and will eventually get around to rigging it to use Tormek's attachments, at which point I'll discontinue using the Tormek all together.)

Unless you specifically have a need to grind/sharpen odd shaped tools for which Tormek has an attachment, I don't recommend a Tormek. For basic plane and chisel sharpening, I much prefer either the Worksharp or the Lee Valley machines. (The Worksharp is a smarter machine with smarter features: it is also less expensive.) These days, for basic chisel and plane honing, I've largely gone back to free-hand sharpening on water stones. It is fast and provides very good results. For any grinding/reshaping, I usually use the Worksharp with its easy-to-use integral chisel sharpening guide.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 09-26-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:55 PM

Thanks Charles,
That was the type of response I was looking for. I will pass on the Tormek.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair