The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Default Chaccone in E minor Quest

Hi,
I happen to be an owner and studier/player of this famed piece, but wound up with the E minor version..Three things:
1) Do any of you have this same Ricordi publication/working on it or have learned it and in tempo, say ?
2) Do you know of a YT video of it being played in E ? I have not had luck with that.
3) What are your feelings about it; it's not being in original D, for you and for perpetuity ?....
Thanks, M
PS. Yes, I brought this up a..l o n g..time back...But time-stamp-wise I wanted it to be a fresh thread...
Old 09-27-2020, 05:28 PM

The Bach Chaconne is quite a ways above my level, but this delcamp thread might
be of interest:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...c.php?t=108830
Old 09-27-2020, 06:44 PM

Appreciated. But that's not what i'm asking help with....M
Old 09-28-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinLA View Post
Hi,
I happen to be an owner and studier/player of this famed piece, but wound up with the E minor version..Three things:
1) Do any of you have this same Ricordi publication/working on it or have learned it and in tempo, say ?
2) Do you know of a YT video of it being played in E ? I have not had luck with that.
3) What are your feelings about it; it's not being in original D, for you and for perpetuity ?....
Thanks, M
PS. Yes, I brought this up a..l o n g..time back...But time-stamp-wise I wanted it to be a fresh thread...
I don't have the Ricordi edition, but I do have at least one other version in E minor. I've never spent much time with it beyond a few read-throughs. I didn't really see the point in taking it up to Em, and there were many added bass notes and other filled-out harmonies that I didn't like.

FWIW, my opinions on the Bach solo string works (violin, cello) are essentially:
1. Original key isn't that important.
2. I don't like the idea of filling out the harmonies.

For me, much of the charm and genius of these pieces comes from the way Bach handles implied polyphony with instruments that are relatively limited in their ability to play simultaneous notes. You lose a lot of that if the translation to the guitar includes the explicit addition of more polyphony.

Back to the key question--if Em works better for you technically, then go for it. I could potentially see the case for the transposition since the open A on the guitar now corresponds to the open G on the violin, but I don't think that the low G is central to the piece in a way that makes it all that important to have open.

Edit: the version I have in E minor is by Moshe Levy. In theory you can download it from him directly for free here, but I get some errors with the download php script:
http://www.edimattin.de/Downld-E.htm
Maybe try emailing him directly if you're interested? In his notes here, he makes a few points about the key selection. I agree that the passage in 229-240 (not sure where he gets 227 as the starting measure here) works better against the open B string, which is an advantage of this key. As with any such choice, it's up to you as the performer to decide whether this benefit has any trade-offs elsewhere in the piece when played in this key.

Last edited by smwink; 09-28-2020 at 08:59 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-29-2020, 05:51 PM

SMWINK, I know not what publication you wound up with but the Ricordi Pub I have is 100% all and full counterpoint transcribed for guitar..There is nothing to "fill in"...It's as lush as the D version in all respects, save for, I'd imagine, octave reassignment. (I.E. Far as I know, due to the 'pacularities' and particularities of the guitar, certain notes, chords, Arps., runs, or strains may have needed placement in other than the original octave [considered a form of transposing]. That's that !... I am not asking anyone's advise on whether I should play it or not. I have been going through her since owning the cardboard & pulp it's printed on...
My question is aimed at those who do have/play it and how they feel/have felt about the e minor key and their thoughts about it posterity...
JG teacher in NYC 1960s, Alan DeMausse (sp?), wrote its title on top of page, put a melody on top and bass line below throughout the required staved measures..
In mid was chord name..My job was to fill in the chord or chord tones/guide tones/squashed ants that stated the harmony in any way I wish [chord substitution] onto guitar..
Mark, Los Angeles[/COLOR]

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-30-2020 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Edited for Rule #1
Old 09-30-2020, 04:20 AM

Ok then, good luck.

Last edited by smwink; 09-30-2020 at 04:23 AM. Reason: decided not to waste my time
Old 09-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
I don't have the Ricordi edition, but I do have at least one other version in E minor. I've never spent much time with it beyond a few read-throughs. I didn't really see the point in taking it up to Em, and there were many added bass notes and other filled-out harmonies that I didn't like.

FWIW, my opinions on the Bach solo string works (violin, cello) are essentially:
1. Original key isn't that important.
2. I don't like the idea of filling out the harmonies.

For me, much of the charm and genius of these pieces comes from the way Bach handles implied polyphony with instruments that are relatively limited in their ability to play simultaneous notes. You lose a lot of that if the translation to the guitar includes the explicit addition of more polyphony.

Back to the key question--if Em works better for you technically, then go for it. I could potentially see the case for the transposition since the open A on the guitar now corresponds to the open G on the violin, but I don't think that the low G is central to the piece in a way that makes it all that important to have open.

Edit: the version I have in E minor is by Moshe Levy. In theory you can download it from him directly for free here, but I get some errors with the download php script:
http://www.edimattin.de/Downld-E.htm
Maybe try emailing him directly if you're interested? In his notes here, he makes a few points about the key selection. I agree that the passage in 229-240 (not sure where he gets 227 as the starting measure here) works better against the open B string, which is an advantage of this key. As with any such choice, it's up to you as the performer to decide whether this benefit has any trade-offs elsewhere in the piece when played in this key.
For what it's worth, I found your post above to be very useful and informative!
I recalled having a transcription of the Chaconne, so I dug it up. The one I have is also in Em, but from the Guitar School in Iceland.
I've also only done a read through. There aren't enough months in a calendar year for me to even tackle a work like this. I find it's terrific though as a listening piece, when the mood is right. Here my favorite (in Dm though):

Again smwink, thanks for sharing your insights.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical