The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Never say never!
I almost never do! But maybe I should say instead that, in seconds, the player can and should do a neck reset any time it needs it. If the adjustment bottoms out (hasn't happened yet), it's an hour at most to adjust things to give it more room.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
It really reminds me of the T-slot system used on most machine tools - I see the value of it in changing up tooling or setting up jigs, and it might be a real advantage for machine-oriented production, but in an acoustic guitar where every element has an effect on the sound, I have to wonder just how much these systems add versus how much they subtract. I see the advantages in electric instruments, where so much of the sound is dependent on the electronics and the neck to body connection is smaller and more in-line with the strings, but its gonna be a bit of time and alot more first hand experience before I'm convinced these "patent" guitars really benefit guitarists, or luthiers in general -

But I will try to keep an open mind, and open ears -
Although I don't mean to point at your post specifically, I can't help but think about the old "tradition vs. progress" debate during this conversation. I wonder, how many people rolled their eyes when many guitarmakers started using the more production-friendly dovetailed-in necks instead of a Spanish heel?

The point is, it is almost impossible to measure the effects of these things independent of all other factors. Added to that, most guitars that feature adjustable necks (certainly including mine!) have many other 'modern' features and design elements that will significantly affect the sound, so any kind of direct comparison to a traditionally-built instrument goes right out the window. I guess my point is that the comparison is not really useful - it's like comparing ice cream to cheese. Both can be delicious and tasty, and both are edibles made from milk...but they're not the same thing, and so shouldn't be compared as if they were.

That having been said - the only question, really, is whether the resulting instrument is successful, useful, and musical. I've considered hiding my neck adjuster under a strap pin, just so people wouldn't know it was there...and thus might not decide they're hearing the neck joint before they even pick up the guitar. This is something we all do to varying extents, but it can be a real challenge for a builder who is trying to push into non-traditional territory.
At the end of the day, all that matters is whether the guitar is any good!

Cheers,
Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop