The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Default Rob Girdis info

I recently bought a dreadnought-style guitar made by Rob Girdis in 1986. It's a wonderful instrument. (One of the dealer's employees plays it a little on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4JucTTNsOE.) I'd like to find out more about it, for its own sake and for deciding what to insure it for. I know that Rob died several years ago, but the little I know about him makes me sure that he kept notes on each of his instruments--what woods he was using, maybe even what he was thinking. Does anyone know if there's a family member or executor who held onto such notes and might be willing to share them? I bought the guitar to play (and it sounds better each week), but I'm still curious. For instance, I wonder about the seemingly disparate design elements: the polygons around the sound hole seem a little at odds with the stars on the upper frets, and both of those seem at odds with the vinework on the neck--as though Rob were going through some sort of transition in his thinking about how to embellish a guitar. Thanks for any suggestions/observations.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Humanist

Rob's passing was a sad thing for many in our community, for sure.

I don't know if anyone has his records, or access to notes, etc.

After watching/listening to the video, I don't find anything disparate about the design elements...and at #17, this was obviously an early guitar. The body shape (a bit, anyway) and nut-width are perhaps influenced by Gurian.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM

thank you!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Default Girdis Guitar

If you ever plan to sell this guitar, please let me know. I'm very interested in purchasing a Girdis guitar.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM

You might try getting in touch with Rick Davis of Running Dog Guitars, or Brent McElroy.

Pat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop