The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Musical minimalist

Default The latest addition (Mcneill content)....

may well be the last!

For the last year and a half or so, I've been on the hunt for a 14 fret cutaway (OM-ish) that could keep up with my Mcknight well enough to justify keeping it.

MANY guitars have come and gone and though some were good, none held up after a few weeks. Yes, I'm probably one of the most finicky players out there....little tiny things bother me, and can be deal breakers! I hear and feel things that I probably shouldn't and a lot of guitars get sent packing because of it!

A couple of months ago, a member posted one of Scott Mcneill's OM's in Walnut and German spruce. I couldn't take my eyes off it....the aesthetics and workmanship were outstanding. Easily one of the most beautiful instruments I'd seen in a long time.

Long story short, Scott had a Cedar/Lacewood OM cutaway on his site. It had been a shop demo guitar. I listened to the recordings, looked at the pics a hundred times, emailed him and we talked on the phone. The deal was done.

I've spent the last few weeks slowly dialing in the setup and intonation to my liking, and playing it daily. The last week I've probably put 3-4 hours a day on it.

Needless to say, it's passed the "test" with flying colors. It has WAY more sustain and string separation than any cedar topped guitar I've ever owned. Not sure how he did it, but those are really the most outstanding qualities.
It's kind of in the Goodall camp, but much better all around than any Goodall I've owned. I say this mostly because the midrange is much more distinct and defined, and it's quite a bit louder than any Goodall GC or CJ I've owned. The timbre reminds me of a cross between a Madagascar/Engelmann Parlor and a Mahogany/Engelmann GC I had a few years back, but again - louder and more present.

I'm currently going through some personal and business hardships and it would be "easy" for me to tell myself I need to sell this. But for the first time in a very long time I'm trying very hard to find ways to make myself keep an instrument. It speaks to me in a way that no other has previously, and that's saying a LOT!

I understand Scott has a couple of spots left for the next year or so that are non-commissioned builds. If you are looking for a great guitar at a very reasonable price from a builder who's somehow flown under the radar, he may well be your guy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by fitness1; 02-24-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:23 PM

Fitness - sounds like you have a keeper! I'm not familiar with Scott Mcneill so I googled him and visited his homepage. Some great pics.

Had you played a McNeill before you looked into this guitar?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fitness - sounds like you have a keeper! I'm not familiar with Scott Mcneill so I googled him and visited his homepage. Some great pics.

Had you played a McNeill before you looked into this guitar?
I hadn't even heard of Scott until Kidron posted the pics of the German/Walnut OM. It was so incredibly beautiful, it sent me into "search" mode!

I should have put the website link up - here it is....

http://www.mcneillguitars.com/

If you go to Lacewood Build on the top, there is a page for this guitar with a couple of quick soundclips. I'm not equipped right now for recording, so I can't post anything.

The guitar is simply one I can't put down. I find myself getting up in the middle of the night just to play it.....it's that good (and that's after owning it for more than a month!) It feels so good to know my "itch is scratched" and I can get back to playing and performing and forget about finding something better.

Two thumbs up for Scott!

Here are a couple more shots...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM

I may just have to take it for a test drive again with all the work you've done on it Congrats on a keeper!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Doerr View Post
I may just have to take it for a test drive again with all the work you've done on it Congrats on a keeper!
I think the tone transfer has increased as a result of the fret level job....as we talked about when we met last, that kind of thing can make you hold back your attack and "play around" the problem areas.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 AM

a very nice looking guitar - things that look that right usually are
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Beautiful instrument! Sounds like a good one. I got a sweet set of leopard wood that looks a lot like that lacewood, and I cant wait to do something with it now! You have inspired me.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I hadn't even heard of Scott until Kidron posted the pics of the German/Walnut OM. It was so incredibly beautiful, it sent me into "search" mode!

I should have put the website link up - here it is....

http://www.mcneillguitars.com/

If you go to Lacewood Build on the top, there is a page for this guitar with a couple of quick soundclips. I'm not equipped right now for recording, so I can't post anything.

The guitar is simply one I can't put down. I find myself getting up in the middle of the night just to play it.....it's that good (and that's after owning it for more than a month!) It feels so good to know my "itch is scratched" and I can get back to playing and performing and forget about finding something better.

Two thumbs up for Scott!

Here are a couple more shots...

<<snippet>>
Wow - I don't think I've ever seen a back like that! I've never seen a lacewood guitar before but it looks fantastic! Is lacewood domestic (US/Canada)?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - I don't think I've ever seen a back like that! I've never seen a lacewood guitar before but it looks fantastic! Is lacewood domestic (US/Canada)?
If I'm remembering correctly it's Australia and South America - maybe one or our more well versed builders could chime in to confirm....

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Todd! The lacewood is very cool! Hope you enjoy for years to come.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Breathtaking is all I can say. Congratulations.......Steve

On the work bench:
Razo 2013 #14 African BW/Sinker like #7 but not

Considering
Sexauer D45 Style Dred in BRW/TBD Traugott TBD - Olson TBD - So many others TBD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop