The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2020, 12:07 PM

Default New family heirloom that needs help

So, my grandpa died when I was about eight. He had this old guitar and I remember him playing it. Well my parents got a divorce and I was pretty much separated from my mother's side. Long story short, one of my aunts messaged my dad and said that she was going to send me this guitar for Christmas. We got it last week. It is an old Harmony, but for the life of me I can't remember the series. Dad looked it up and said that it was a 60s or early 70s model. The neck has been broken off the body and has been epoxied back together and a bridge has been added to the body as well. I am wanting to refurbish it back to "new" quality. I haven't found anyone in Oklahoma that does restorations. Im curious if this forum could point me in a direction to get my new priceless guitar back to its former glory. Ill try to post pics when I go back over to my parents house.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Put "in Oklahama" in your title
Old 12-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Bear in mind it may cost more to restore this guitar than it will be worth in terms of resale value. But if it is truly a family heirloom that you intent to keep it may be well worth doing.

Can you post a photo?
Old 12-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Ron at Honest Ron’s Guitars in Oklahoma City does rebuilds. Good guy but he’s only open a few days a week and usually very busy. But at least he should be able to take a look at the guitar and give you an idea of what needs to be done...and the cost.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:03 PM

Very recently, there was a thread that discussed Baxendale conversions. Baxendale is a highly regarded luthier. You might check out his website, and maybe ask him if he would take on the kind of project you have in mind (if you like the idea of converting the guitar so that its full potential might be realized). If his work doesn’t appeal to you, or if he wont take on a large scale rehab, maybe he can steer you in a good direction

If i were you, i would not limit myself to candidates in your own state.

No doubt, the work you need to have done will cost much more than the guitar will ever fetch on the open market. But maybe the sentimental value will propel you forward, nonetheless.

If you dont have your heart set on playing it, you can always get a superficial repair done and put it in a corner as a decoration and reminder. I have a friend who has done that with his father’s old Gibson (i think it is a B25?).
Old 12-13-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

This guy's the expert;

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html

Give him a call or email. He's taken care of a few old guitars for members here.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
...No doubt, the work you need to have done will cost much more than the guitar will ever fetch on the open market....
Yeah, even restored to "original, like new condition," it will be pretty far from a "priceless" guitar -- except as a personal heirloom.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
accoustic, harmony, restoration