The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 PM

Default Best resource for learning a new language?

Ramping up the use of my COVID-19 induced extra time at home to tackle some things that have been put on hold in the past due to work, other outside interests, etc.

Took years of Spanish in high school/college many moons ago but never had practical opportunity to use it once I left academia and it died a slow death. Now I would like to revive it. Anyone have any resources - books, tapes, etc. - that they have found particularly helpful. I am not necessarily looking for fluency, but more practical conversation skills.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Maybe this...

[Rosetta Stone] Stay home & learn another language - Rosetta Stone FREE for the next three months
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rose...onths-2363486/
Old 03-31-2020, 07:19 PM

I'm using the Doulingo app to learn Spanish. I took French in high school but find that most of the places we travel speak Spanish.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:29 PM

Check your local library online resources. Ours offers quite a few languages for online learning.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:56 PM

Watching good Spanish YouTube videos or TV news can be a good support to learning the language through books and video lessons. It helps your ear adjust to the pronunciation and rhythm of the language.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 04-01-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I am not necessarily looking for fluency, but more practical conversation skills.
I found the “Coffee Break” series of podcasts perfect for my needs.

They focus on conversational skills, in short bursts. I first used them to recover my long lost French skills. They were so much better than just conjugating verbs! I also used them to learn a little Italian (having had no previous experience). They must have a Spanish version as well.

You might be surprised to find, as I was, that everything I had learned previously was still there, it just needed to be uncovered/revived after so many years of not using it!
Old 04-01-2020, 01:36 PM

I am a member of A Language Learner's Forum at https://forum.language-learners.org/. The consensus there appears to be that if you want to go beyond simple "tourist" Spanish, Assimil Spanish With Ease is one of the best options out there to learn conversational Spanish. However, it is not cheap and some serious effort is required.

If you are looking for online resources, "Mi Vida Loca" by the BBC is free and a good video-based review of some basic Spanish (www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca/), which could be followed up with Destinos (https://learner.org/series/destinos-...on-to-spanish/), also free and quite good, which will take you even further.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:22 PM

I used Pimsleur CDs to pick up some simple conversational French several years back. I believe they're pricey if you want to buy them, but I found them at the local library. For me it was a great way to get some basic, getting-around conversational skills.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:32 PM

Muchas gracias to all of you who took the time to respond. I have some great options to look into now and plan to begin this journey before the week is out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic