The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-21-2020, 03:37 PM

A woman in Quebec was arrested because she went out for a walk after being told to quarantine herself at home because she has covid-19. No word on whether she will be charged. Her life has just changed - she made national news.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:54 PM

Ran out of toilet paper.
Had to use lettuce leaves.
This is the tip of the iceberg.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Our members in Wisconsin facing shortages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 436D1ACA-24CC-40EA-909E-B7E21F7DB053.jpg (55.6 KB, 128 views)

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-21-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Ran out of toilet paper. Had to use lettuce leaves. This is the tip of the iceberg.
That's funny there, Aussie.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Ran out of toilet paper.
Had to use lettuce leaves.
This is the tip of the iceberg.
I have interacted with a number of Australian folks, both as engineers and when I was in Vietnam, and they all seem to have this great sense of humor.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-21-2020, 04:30 PM

Retired, but going through major pickleball withdrawal. Usually play 5X per week and haven't played now in close to 2 weeks. At least we all have our guitars.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 03-21-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Started working from home last week, but the real issue is trying to figure out how to keep the business going (4 locations, 2 in CA) as customers dry up (or not, as there's quite a bit of uncertainty), keeping staff needed, but not too many and lose way more $, but not let them go too soon and get overloaded. Evaluating the definition of "Critical Buiness" to see if we fit (We think we do, but it is not 100% obvious).

When this started, it seemed like you had a couple of days to get used to something. Then you had to get used to the fact that things changed every day. Now it is multiple times per day. It is very wearying. I'd say that to Sr. Mgmt: it looked like "this" was the case. Then 90 minutes later I'd get an e-mail saying "these outlets have closed," and plans have to change again.

This is a once a century event for sure. Reminds me of the ancient curse: May you live in interesting times.

Last edited by M19; 03-22-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:45 AM

Working in the yard and garage. Can't really procrastinate anymore.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

The medical company I am currently doing contract work for is considered essential, so I will be continuing to go in to work. I guess that is fortunate, since I can then afford to pay the high prices for toilet paper.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-22-2020, 12:19 PM

I retired at 50 after 32 years as a firefighter, so at 63 I've had plenty of practice at filling my time in. However, my local pub, the Victoria Inn, has closed it's doors for the foreseeable future due to the virus and the need for isolation and I'm missing the ale and the craic with all of my friends. Au revoir . . .

Old 03-22-2020, 05:30 PM

I'm about to start my second week teaching classes online that were never intended to be online. My college is part of a state-wide Higher Education system that went online for 110,000 students in a little less than 3 days. To say it's stressful is somewhat of an understatement. Granted we're all at home and not in harm's way but trying to continue our commitment to our students is definitely taxing our creativity.

As for being home while teaching is proving, well, strange. I find myself trying to "follow a schedule" all the while having no real schedule to follow.

I know we're going to get through this, albeit somewhat changed, but I can't help thinking this might be what the beginning of retirement might look like. Well, without the virus part...

Best,
PJ
Old 03-22-2020, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I'm about to start my second week teaching classes online that were never intended to be online. My college is part of a state-wide Higher Education system that went online for 110,000 students in a little less than 3 days. To say it's stressful is somewhat of an understatement. Granted we're all at home and not in harm's way but trying to continue our commitment to our students is definitely taxing our creativity.

As for being home while teaching is proving, well, strange. I find myself trying to "follow a schedule" all the while having no real schedule to follow.

I know we're going to get through this, albeit somewhat changed, but I can't help thinking this might be what the beginning of retirement might look like. Well, without the virus part...

Best,
PJ
I suspect that this current situation will hasten the move toward virtual everything. Collectively, we already do a lot online, so this will "seal the deal" in a sense that we will find that it is doable and perhaps even more convenient for many, once we wrap our heads around it.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-22-2020, 10:50 PM

Necessity is the mother of invention. A lot of things are now possible thanks to the Internet.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:34 AM

My wife and I both work at home and we both travel. It’s a nice mix but we’ve both been grounded....that sucks.

I’m a manufacturing supplier to retail stores in the food sector. Last week I had almost zero customer contact. Everybody has pulled the hole in on themselves after jumping in it seems.

I spent the week at our beach house last week with one of the dogs. I gained 6 pounds from stress eating and being lazy. Not good.

Daughter and her boyfriend were over for dinner last night and we played dominos after. That was fun but it was weird not kissing them goodbye when they left.

My one behavioral change is that I started using a little sugar and 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee for the first time in years. Call me crazy....
Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Thanks Dru. I'm a quick learner with tech. I have no problems using it, but how to use it efficiently is a different matter. For instance, there' a toolbar that gets in the way of the program I normally use... you can slide it around and have it auto-minimize, but I'm not used to it yet and sometimes I hover over it and have to wait for it to minimize and it drives me crazy and interrupts the flow. Also, I gave a test before this whole thing started and now I have to figure out how to give makeups now. And, how to do online tests to minimize cheating...

Stuff like that...
I am using Zoom. Works great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic