The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 08:00 AM

I played Golf for many years, and there was a saying, "You can't buy a game". But most ignored this and kept buying "the latest greatest" thinking it would help their game.

The Guitar market is strikingly similar.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:04 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
It matters to me what guitar I have. It doesn't matter to me what guitar you have. That's the beauty of free-will. You buy what you like/want and I buy what I want and everyone's happy.

Now that right there was funny. Quite direct as a summation also.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:23 AM

I'm an intermediate level guitar player. I used to tech guitars and have acquired a few interesting pieces over the years but no lifetime omg that's the one instruments. That said I teched for 3 years at a shop that was unique in that it attracted some of the best players in the region, the owner was obsessed with very high end instruments, and it happened to be across the street from the major venue in town and thus drew some visits from some very accomplished musicians and crew members. I played guitar with George Thorogood in that shop and he fell in love with and bought a black Kay parlor guitar for 89 bucks.

That said I've gotten to play and hear more legacy and world class instruments than most. A great guitar has an unbelievable effect on the player and his audience. They just do

Does that mean you should feel embarrassed to play a less expensive guitar? Of course not. Find something you can afford and that sounds good and is comfortable to play. But don't resent those who can afford to buy a better instrument. It seems that often there is a sense of insecurity in those of us who can't afford a better instrument. I've felt it myself. And what I've come to realize as I've gotten older and played with numerous world class musicians is that in any realm there are gear/label snobs but for the most part they're a small minority and sometime s it's my insecurity talking moreso than condescending attitude s from the people I play with.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
I played Golf for many years, and there was a saying, "You can't buy a game". But most ignored this and kept buying "the latest greatest" thinking it would help their game.

Reminded me of an incident I witnessed years ago. The company I worked for at the time we played golf every Wednesday. The quality manager was talking up the driver he bought over the weekend Monday and Tuesday at lunch. About well he hit it in the mat where he bought it.

Wednesday comes and you can't shut him up at lunch. Gets to the course and it goes high and straight for about 100 yards. Then the worse slice i have ever seen, even worse then mine.

Every hole he used it was at least one fairway over. This guy is right handed and one gentleman in our group was left handed. I will tell why this matters.

The last hole both of our foursomes got together. Because everyone wanted to see this fantastic club. Same thing, the shoot was 300 yards, 100 straight out, 200 to the right.

He jumps in the cart, picks up the ball and comes back. I felt sorry for him with the ribbing he got for not finishing the hole. But it was fun.

This hole was a short par four. Here is where the left hand and right hand comes into play. The left hander teed up and says "Let me see that club". The guy hands it to him and does not address the left handed with club upside down. He addresses the ball right handed. And rips the prettiest drive down the middle of fairway. A short wedge shot to the pin.

He hands it back and says "There's nothing wrong with this club". Never seen that club again. I think he cut it up.

It's not the tool, it's how you use it.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-26-2020, 09:16 AM

Around 1978 I bought a used set of golf clubs. Everyone told me how cheap and inferior they were. I "upgraded" around 1994. My game hasn't been quite as good since then. I was more consistent and shot all my personal best scores at area courses with the old clubs. Play what you like, not what others think is better.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Pete Huttlinger told a story about finally getting to play with Mike Taylor, John Denver's lead guitar player during the Rocky Mountain High years.

"That sound that I'd heard for so many years was right there in the room with me and coming from his guitar. There is something about players and their sound. It doesn't start with the instrument. It starts in the heart and then goes to the hands. A player could be playing a $100 pawn shop guitar, but because it's in his hands it would sound just like the player... no matter who it is. And that is exactly what was happening. Mike Taylor was playing in my hotel room and couldn't have sounded like anyone else but himself."
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 01-26-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post

I am a 120lb cyclist. I have a 13lb road bike and I get really good use out of it on climbs.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 AM

Playing <> collecting <> appreciating the beauty of guitar.

What I've learned about myself is that I tended to obsess over many things guitar wise and all of them sheltered me from what I really needed to do - namely practice and put in the hard work required to be a better player.

When I think of all the practice hours I frittered away looking at gear ads, gear videos and yes, even in guitar forums I am saddened now that arthritis is kicking into my fretting hand.

Can't change it now, but I can say I put a lot more time into practice and playing than anything else these days. So for me it no longer matters which guitar I play anymore.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 01-27-2020, 09:43 AM

For me it does. I like the instrument (geometry/sound) and I play more.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypeace View Post

Now that right there was funny. Quite direct as a summation also.
It's beside the point....a fine direct answer to the title of the thread, but not the content of the OP.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
It's beside the point....a fine direct answer to the title of the thread, but not the content of the OP.
I'd have to say that this message board is antiquated enough so that the OP is fairly hard to locate when you are typing out your thoughts.

For example, the comment you commented on here is a mystery to me -- I have zero context into what was funny to that person.

It's a group of nice people here, and I like it but it IS a rather nebulous process reading through and finding who may or may not have replied to one's message.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-27-2020, 12:02 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, you can make any guitar sound bad depending on how you play. But there are a ton of differences from a First Act guitar your kids play, and a $5000+ guitar.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
I'd have to say that this message board is antiquated enough so that the OP is fairly hard to locate when you are typing out your thoughts.

For example, the comment you commented on here is a mystery to me -- I have zero context into what was funny to that person.

It's a group of nice people here, and I like it but it IS a rather nebulous process reading through and finding who may or may not have replied to one's message.
Yeah, you would have to scroll up about 7 posts to find the one I quoted.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Yeah, you would have to scroll up about 7 posts to find the one I quoted.
I didn't say it was impossible. I DID say (paraphrased here) it wasn't conducive to clear conversation threading for ease of following along.

And it's not.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-27-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
I didn't say it was impossible. I DID say (paraphrased here) it wasn't conducive to clear conversation threading for ease of following along.

And it's not.
I don't see much evidence that people actually read through the threads before responding. But next time, in cases like this one, I'll do multiple quotes. Generally I don't find it necessary. But I don't want to detract from anyone's AGF experience in any way.

In this thread, a number of people seem to be responding only the question posed in the title -- because it sets up a straw man. To paraphrase, a guy responded by saying, "I don't care what guitar YOU play; it's a free country and stuff." But the content of the OP is that, in general, there seems to be too much emphasis on the guitar, and not enough on the player.

I've enjoyed the thread, largely because it indicates the existence of a significant minority around here who do indeed feel the player matters more than the awesomeness of the guitar itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion