The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 3,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Almost too pretty to play! Beautiful work Mark.
Thanks TEK!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“All trees fall” Swifty Corwin
  #77  
Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Mr. Paul Mr. Paul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sangre de Cristo mountains
Posts: 2,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I get to play this one for a week or so while it learns it's new guitar identity then I'll put up for sale or save it for a show, whichever comes first.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark
I'll bet you a quarter this one isn't going to make it to the show, either
__________________
I'm far from the mint condition, circulation's hard on you -JGorka
  #78  
Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 3,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I'll bet you a quarter this one isn't going to make it to the show, either
A bet I'd be happy to loose
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“All trees fall” Swifty Corwin
  #79  
Old 05-20-2016, 07:20 PM
bubbaprime bubbaprime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post

In case you are wondering why I am asking Charlie to do recordings for me here is a You Tube he recently put out that I just can't get enough of...


Mark
Whoa baby, that's a smokin piece of pickin' I can see why you're asking him to demo for you. I hope you get a Hatcher in Charlie's hands. Awesome stuff!
__________________
_____________________________
Jeff
_____________________________
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
  #80  
Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 PM
lizzard lizzard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodstock, Illinois
Posts: 1,417
Default

Mark- I'm going to let my deposit ride on the BRW/WRC (Which is sex on a stick). But That maple is THE BOMB!

Chris
__________________
The Electrics check

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red (due 2020)
Ovation - 1712 Custom Balladeer, 1988. Cleated Sitka over carbon/fiber/plastic yada yada - Campfire Baby!!!
  #81  
Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 3,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Mark- I'm going to let my deposit ride on the BRW/WRC (Which is sex on a stick). But That maple is THE BOMB!

Chris
Here is a little update and recap on something different I'm doing with your guitar. This is the second in the show spec series. It's the Greta grand auditorium model with a Western Red Cedar top and BRW back and sides.

I went with wooly mammoth tusk bark for the nut and saddle because it is a bit harder than bone and would add a little more "ping" or snap to the sound. I love the warmth of cedar and BRW certainly isn't lacking in the lows. I also am using cedar bracing on a very light back. So with all of that a little ping seems to be called for. It will add a little presence to all that deep and dark.

Here is a picture of a bunch of mammoth pcs I had to choose from;



The big piece in the middle up top shows a section of tusk with a piece of the "bark" still attached. It's obvious why it's called "bark". The thing is the bark is the part that has been directly exposed to elements and over the last 20,000 to 40,000 years has started to absorb the surrounding minerals on it's way to becoming fossilized. It also picks up some wonderful coloring. That's the extra hardness I am looking for. Here are the two pieces I selected to cut the nut and saddle from;





When I cut the nut and saddle I tried to preserve some of the very outer edge just to show how great looking it is. Here are some pictures of the finished headstock and bridge with the nut and saddle in place;







You'll notice that the bridge pins, truss rod cover, and heel cap are tusk bark as well. My overall design efforts on the look of this guitar draws heavily from the what I feel is the very masculine look of contemporary collectable knives

By the way, I got my ping!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“All trees fall” Swifty Corwin
  #82  
Old 05-21-2016, 09:18 AM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 10,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here is a little update and recap on something different I'm doing with your guitar. This is the second in the show spec series. It's the Greta grand auditorium model with a Western Red Cedar top and BRW back and sides.

I went with wooly mammoth tusk bark for the nut and saddle because it is a bit harder than bone and would add a little more "ping" or snap to the sound. I love the warmth of cedar and BRW certainly isn't lacking in the lows. I also am using cedar bracing on a very light back. So with all of that a little ping seems to be called for. It will add a little presence to all that deep and dark.

Here is a picture of a bunch of mammoth pcs I had to choose from;



The big piece in the middle up top shows a section of tusk with a piece of the "bark" still attached. It's obvious why it's called "bark". The thing is the bark is the part that has been directly exposed to elements and over the last 20,000 to 40,000 years has started to absorb the surrounding minerals on it's way to becoming fossilized. It also picks up some wonderful coloring. That's the extra hardness I am looking for. Here are the two pieces I selected to cut the nut and saddle from;





When I cut the nut and saddle I tried to preserve some of the very outer edge just to show how great looking it is. Here are some pictures of the finished headstock and bridge with the nut and saddle in place;







You'll notice that the bridge pins, truss rod cover, and heel cap are tusk bark as well. My overall design efforts on the look of this guitar draws heavily from the what I feel is the very masculine look of contemporary collectable knives

By the way, I got my ping!
Wow, that is an absolutely beautiful touch to cap of this build!!!!! I love it.
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
  #83  
Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 AM
lizzard lizzard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodstock, Illinois
Posts: 1,417
Default

Mark,

I feel bad about trying to explain this to my wife. She has been forgiving beyond words.

And then you post another picture and I quietly snicker to myself thinking " I just be about to get away with murder!" (in a guitar way that is)

NICE and unique work. In Fact, this may be the most unique aesthetic I've ever seen. I suddenly crave a brontosaurus burger!

Chris
__________________
The Electrics check

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red (due 2020)
Ovation - 1712 Custom Balladeer, 1988. Cleated Sitka over carbon/fiber/plastic yada yada - Campfire Baby!!!
  #84  
Old 05-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 3,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Mark,

I feel bad about trying to explain this to my wife. She has been forgiving beyond words.

And then you post another picture and I quietly snicker to myself thinking " I just be about to get away with murder!" (in a guitar way that is)

NICE and unique work. In Fact, this may be the most unique aesthetic I've ever seen. I suddenly crave a brontosaurus burger!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I am always especially proud when I think I was able to contribute something original into the pool of contemporary guitars. That is really hard to do. There are a lot of talented builders with great ideas and skills out today.

I see you started a post with this this guitar. I'll post any new update pictures and comments over on that one.

Mark
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“All trees fall” Swifty Corwin
  #85  
Old 05-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 3,967
Default Tough Day

Phew! What a tough day. Got my boss, Enzo, breathing down my neck

__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“All trees fall” Swifty Corwin

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 05-24-2016 at 01:25 PM.
  #86  
Old 05-24-2016, 01:19 PM
lizzard lizzard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodstock, Illinois
Posts: 1,417
Default

Enzo is CLEARLY thinking "Make sure Chris' guitar KNOWS it's a guitar!" (and find a good box!)
__________________
The Electrics check

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red (due 2020)
Ovation - 1712 Custom Balladeer, 1988. Cleated Sitka over carbon/fiber/plastic yada yada - Campfire Baby!!!
  #87  
Old 05-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 3,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Enzo is CLEARLY thinking "Make sure Chris' guitar KNOWS it's a guitar!" (and find a good box!)
Oh it's a guitar alright! Should be ready to ship Monday

Mark
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“All trees fall” Swifty Corwin
  #88  
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM
yoni yoni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 788
Default

enzo wants to know why you're not mixing the cat nip into finish. Also, reminding you not to leave any glasses on the shop tables.
__________________
Bonanzinga Clarksdale
Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
  #89  
Old 05-25-2016, 04:48 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 3,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
enzo wants to know why you're not mixing the cat nip into finish. Also, reminding you not to leave any glasses on the shop tables.
Or pencils!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“All trees fall” Swifty Corwin
  #90  
Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 AM
lizzard lizzard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodstock, Illinois
Posts: 1,417
Default

Maybe Enzo could be the final Buffing pad? BUT NO PEEING!
__________________
The Electrics check

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red (due 2020)
Ovation - 1712 Custom Balladeer, 1988. Cleated Sitka over carbon/fiber/plastic yada yada - Campfire Baby!!!
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=