The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-13-2021, 09:13 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

Thank you for asking. My sidekick, Barbara, says that everything after 40 is patch patch patch. I think a number of us on this forum have been doing a lot of patchwork, but the cool thing is that the oldsters here have a youthful, exploratory nature and continue to look forward to tomorrow and the NGD.

My fractured hip made it difficult to play the guitar, but was healing nicely when I was nailed with congestive heart failure (assisted by 60 years of smoking). So just about the time I was getting comfortable with the guitar, my lung capacity went to hell and eliminated singing. If it's not one thing it is, indeed, another.

In any event I'm hoping to get back to some singing and I am definitely back to some play, inspired by you and others on this forum who have and are working against the erosions of age.

I missed Kramster's carbon fest but I've reviewed his demonstration of the Savoy several times. As a matter of fact, he is considering moving the guitar in my direction which would make for a great NGD.

Anyway, good to see you on the road again and I look forward to future audio videos.

Evan

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-13-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the update, Evan. Keep moving forward and work with what ya got. Looking forward to your take on the Savoy.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

I went back to that guitar shop today, to take Joan to get her opinion on a couple Taylor 12-strings. I also brought my Emerald X20 along. The salesman was blown away by the X20! He works with all kinds of guitars, including some high end $10k+... he said, "This is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. And the sound coming from that soundhole - wow!"

They had a Taylor Road Show of sorts happening today, so he had to divide his time between us and the Taylor rep. And the X20... "Can I play that again?"

"Sure."

"So, are you some kind of a 'sleeper agent' for Emerald? I am amazed at how nice this is!"

But, what about the Taylor 12-string - did you decide on anything? Thanks for asking. Not wanting to spend a lot of bucks on a guitar that will only get used on specific songs, I had kinda narrowed it down to the 150e (they have 3) and the 352ce 12-fret. I like the price of the 150e, but the 352ce is far more comfortable to me. They both sound good. Joan started out lobbying for a 562ce with a mahogany top - very pretty. More than I want to spend. She reminded me that one of us is having a birthday in two days. I kept steering her to the 352ce, because I prefer the tone of the spruce top with a 12-string. She was adamantly not in favor of the 150e, which still sounds good to me. I am not a dreadnought kinda guy, though... I once heard someone describe playing a dread "is like hugging a refrigerator."

I decided to go for the 352ce; I played both of what they have, and one was definitely better sounding (not just to my ear, Joan could tell the difference, too) and better looking. The salesman said, "Good choice - let me go get the case for it." They had a good price on it, too, with their Taylor event happening.

When he stepped out to get the case, we were looking at the guitar and Joan said, "What's that? On the front of the guitar?"

It looked like a straight line finish checking... I may have said a disparaging word. When the salesman came back, we pointed it out to him. Really, it was so apparent, I don't know how any of us missed it before. He went to get the store owner... who declared, "This is going back to Taylor - fortunately, we have a second one of these."

I had to tell them the other one just didn't do it for me. I really didn't want to accept "the runner up." Joan once again suggested the 562ce. "No, I'll wait until they get another one in - or the 362ce... we're here for a while. It doesn't have to be today." I think Joan was more disappointed than I was. Frankly, I'm glad we all saw it before I handed over the money.

If I was ordering on-line, I'm sure the second one would have been very satisfying. But, being able to compare them... well, you know.

On the bright side: I did introduce another guitar guy to what carbon fiber and Emerald bring to the table. "Sleeper agent"... made me laugh.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

We are back home after 3 months out, and settling in. Getting guitars back on the wall again, it is nice having some variety. My big furry boy Rufus is a great audience - he always comes running when I take a guitar off the wall.

This afternoon, I brought my X10 into the living room to play, and Rufus hopped up on the back of the chair...

Sometimes, he likes to sing along...

A bit of levity for your afternoon.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Welcome back, Jim.

Not that you’ve actually been away from here, but you know what I mean
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Welcome back, Jim.

Not that you’ve actually been away from here, but you know what I mean
Thanks, David. Yes, I know what you mean. I spent three months playing just one guitar. So, a kind of "welcome back." To keep things somewhat CF related: I put new strings on my Taylor 812ce and my X20 yesterday. Played them both for a while. More of the same today. Both are nice guitars, but I have to admit I like the tone of the X20 better. Both are set up just the way I like 'em, both have fresh strings - it's a good time to make some comparisons. This isn't meant to be any kind of review, as I have mentioned that you tend to like the guitar you play the most... and since the X20 is what went with us this summer, it makes my ears, fingers, and soul happy. The 814 is no slouch, but playing a bunch of different guitars the last few days confirms why the X20 is my favorite. But, the tobacco burst top with the curly maple binding on the 814 sure is pretty.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:06 PM

Looks like two very happy cats there, one of the feline variety and one of the cool cat variety! Rufus seems as glad to be home as you!
Old 09-30-2021, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks like two very happy cats there, one of the feline variety and one of the cool cat variety! Rufus seems as glad to be home as you!
Ruf likes to be where we are (home or on the road). He's a good traveler, walks on a leash, and is a bit of a chick magnet (Joan's description)... not that it matters, 'cause Joan still doesn't let me date. Umm, I'm digressing again.

Rufus is our first male cat. He is my boy, and I am his person. I had no idea a big burly boy could be such a love bug.

Nice to hear from you, Tom.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Well, it has been two whole days since a post on this sub-forum, so I figured, "What the heck?" and dug up this old thread. I picked up another instrument yesterday... wood, not carbon fiber. No, it isn't a guitar... I went for a cajon. I didn't know anyone made a carbon fiber cajon, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zun0zvWaM

I discovered the above after I bought the wood one. Good luck finding one of those carbon fiber cajons in a music store - you'd probably have better luck finding a CF guitar.

I have a drum set - it's at home, we're in Arizona. I've been bringing my Emerald X10 (see, carbon fiber content) to my long time music partner's place while we've been here. He invited a few of his guitar playing friends a couple times... so, we have plenty of guitar options (acoustic, electric, carbon fiber - yes, one of his friends has an early 2000s vintage CA) - wood. Even a bass. But, no percussion, so this should suffice...

For the purists out there, this one has 3 pickups in it - I may use it for recording (without using a mic) or amplifying. Or just leave it at my friend's place until we come back next year. It's a cajon, not a guitar, for goodness sakes.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-24-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I think you mentioned CF at least twice, Jim, so you’ve passed muster

If I ever did anything with percussion, a cajon would be very tempting. You can get a ton of sounds out of one, and it is its own seat. What’s not to like?
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 03-24-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I think you mentioned CF at least twice, Jim, so you’ve passed muster

If I ever did anything with percussion, a cajon would be very tempting. You can get a ton of sounds out of one, and it is its own seat. What’s not to like?
I've been "cajon curious" for a while, but never acted on it. I enjoy the drums I have at home, but there is no room for anything like that in the motorhome. The cajon seems easy and compact by comparison. Reading about them online, it seems that a lot of guitar players have picked up a cajon... much to the chagrin of their other guitar-playing friends.

I consider this purchase a minor diversion. I won't be sitting under the awning on the motorhome, playing a cajon tune for Joan and Rufus. So far, Joan puts some music on her phone and says, "Play along with this one." Not quite the same as when I pick up the guitar and she requests a particular song. Lucky for me, she seems to enjoy what I play, even if it is (quietly) pounding on a box.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

We are still in Arizona; the time has been flying by, that is probably because... well... like the saying: "Life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes."

I have been getting together regularly with my long time friend and music partner, Mark. Today, we recorded a few tracks for a new song we're working on. Likely we won't have time to finish it before Joan and I (and Rufus) head back to Texas, but we have a good start on it.

While Mark and I are making music, our wives enjoy their time together. Today, after listening to some music for a while, they went shopping. When they got back, Joan took a bunch of photos of Mark and I while recording; see if you can find the Emerald in there...

Old 04-20-2022, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

We left the Phoenix area yesterday, got just south of civilization... and had a blow out on one of the rear dual tires on the motorhome. Got the coach off the road; after a lengthy slow trek to the nearest Interstate exit where we could safely park, we called road service. Pretty much shot the heck out of our traveling for the day, so we stopped for the night in Tucson.

I suggested to the Blonde that "a day off" was in order, so we got an extra night in this nice RV park and had a relaxing day today. "What does that have to do with guitars?" you ask. Thanks for asking. Knowing my "happy place," Joan suggested we swing by Rainbow Guitars, a nice local guitar shop in Tucson.

When we got there, the door was locked and the sign said to check out their inventory online and make an appointment. Covid changed their business model - there is no "browsing". Joan was thinking she might be in the market for another guitar (no, she doesn't play), so when we got back to the motorhome, she spent some time looking at guitars online.

We have miles to make, so I'll deal with that after we get home. Just a note to say I have a great wife - she knows what I need, even if the shopping didn't pan out.

Four new rear tires, a couple good night's sleep, and we'll be ready to hit the road in the morning.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

NGD...

We made it home and have settled in for a while... I have already made reservations for where we want to be this summer. The Blonde didn't put off the guitar shopping. She asked what I'd really like... I told her, "I'd still like to get a 12-string. Someday."

Emerald had a gorgeous X7-12 with a padauk veneer. I didn't push the "buy" button fast enough and it is in this week's Emerald Shipping Video, going to someone else. It was an in-stock guitar.

There was a lot of discussion. I almost bought a Taylor 352ce 12-string last year, but when the salesman went to get the case, Joan saw "something" in the finish on the top... it turned out to be a crack... yeah, that nixed the sale. I just wasn't in the shopping mood after that.

She saw that I had been "window shopping" at 12-strings after we got home. Sometimes I have to think about it for a while... not sure I have the patience for another to-be-built guitar.

Here’s the NGD post in the main forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...06#post6996606

And from my blog:

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2022/05/ngd.html

It isn’t carbon fiber, but it really is a sweet guitar, with the ergonomics I appreciate and lovely tone. Yeah, I said I wouldn't likely buy another wood guitar. Never say never.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

That’s a rather nice looking 12er you have there, Jim - I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun with it. After all, you wouldn’t want the CF collection to start feeling too secure and complacent, would you?

My little Amicus has scratched my 12-string itch for now, but I have to admit that X7-12 got me thinking…

P.S. After looking at the photos more closely, it looks for all the world as if it’s strung like a Rickenbacker 12, with the octaves below the mains. Is that the case, or are my eyes deceiving me?
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-07-2022 at 03:35 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber