The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-15-2021, 02:36 PM

Default Three good airplane YouTube channels

Ever since I found out my Dad flew during WWII (Martin B-26s and Douglas A-26s) I have been fascinated by airplanes, reading almost everything I could find. In the last year (pandemic) I've starting spending more time on YouTube. I have found 3 channels on aircraft history and technical details that I have come to appreciate. Not going to say they are the best, not even sure what that means. I will say I really like them and watch the new ones as they come on line.

They are:
Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles
Ed Nash's Military Matters
Dark Skies

Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles. This is my favorite but you better be into technical details. He focus's on WWII aircraft. His videos are generally long, some can be over and hour. He gets into the detail of why airplanes perform the way they do. He has like an 8 part series on the P-47 (one of my favorite WWII fighters). He did one on how the F4U and F6F would have stacked up in Europe. A large series of the FW190 and a great series on the TA152. If you want to get into the nitty-gritty, this is a channel for you.

Ed Nash's Military Matters. This is a great channel for the lessor know airplanes. Usually run about 10 minutes. If you want to know about the history of the Westland Whirlwind, The Boeing TFX entry, or the CA-15 Kangaroo, you can learn about them. More history than technical detail. Still he has done his research and gets his facts right.

Dark Skies. Ok, this is entertaining but they don't always get all the facts exactly right. They also run about 8-10 minutes and focus on the history of a single aircraft type. Basically do WWII and later, both props and jets. As I said they don't always get their facts exactly right, the pictures they show don't always line up with what they are talking about but still over all pretty good. In this same genre there is a channel called 'Atomic Cafe' that I would give an honorable mention to.

What about you guys. Have you found YouTube aircraft channels you would recommend. I'm always looking for good ones.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-16-2021, 04:58 AM

Juan Brown 777 pilot out of California does a decent video series involving his own aircraft along with participating in shows and evaluations of aircraft events. Family guy with a great description of the technical aspects of flying. He just did an "aircraft camping" series flying around Idaho visiting grass landing strips in some very remote locations. Drop this
(Blancolirio) into the You tube search window and you will be there.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:20 AM

Mentour Pilot https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwp...P5tNgmMdexB3ow

Captain Joe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...WyBTn_A/videos

blancolirio https://www.youtube.com/user/blancolirio/featured
Old 06-16-2021, 05:31 AM

Oh and

Mayday: Air Disaster https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeR...Oqdd8A-0iF_Idg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic