The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-13-2021, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Pedal wisdom needed, please

I have an Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus full sized pedal I've had for 12-15 years. Used it on my acoustic rig all of that time. A couple of weeks ago while rehearsing I noticed static coming from it when the guitar is being played. No strum and it is quiet as it should be. I used it with the electric guitar.. same issue. Fortunate for me I picked another one up 2-3 years ago from local CL as a backup.

What to do with the static one? I opened it up to have a look and realized it would cost a lot to track down/test everything on that board.

What's the call here? Is there a simple thing to look for? Or just call it a day for this pedal and start looking for another?
Old 06-14-2021, 12:57 PM

Do you hear it when you wiggle the jacks? Is it steady static sound?
Old 06-14-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Static is only when unit is turned on and guitar is played.
When unit is turned on and nothing is being played it's quiet.
Turning pots, wiggling cords, etc, no static.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:08 PM

I have no idea whats wrong w/your pedal. I DO know that there is a world full of fixer-upper folks that will buy gear that needs fixing. In other words - 12-15 years is a good run for most pieces of gear. Maybe sell it to someone that likes to tinker and get yourself a new pedal.....

EWIW - I just did this with a chainsaw with a burned out clutch. Some folks just like to fix stuff...

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-14-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I have an Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus full sized pedal I've had for 12-15 years. Used it on my acoustic rig all of that time. A couple of weeks ago while rehearsing I noticed static coming from it when the guitar is being played. No strum and it is quiet as it should be. I used it with the electric guitar.. same issue. Fortunate for me I picked another one up 2-3 years ago from local CL as a backup.

What to do with the static one? I opened it up to have a look and realized it would cost a lot to track down/test everything on that board.

What's the call here? Is there a simple thing to look for? Or just call it a day for this pedal and start looking for another?
Whether you sell it, give it away, or sacrifice it on an altar to the tone gods I'd say be done with it and use your other one.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
...I DO know that there is a world full of fixer-upper folks that will buy gear that needs fixing. ...
Yes! I was given a huge box of random cables and such a few months ago. In the bottom of the box was an Epiphone humbucker pickup with a fancy scroll on the cover. Wires broke off. I found a buyer on CL ($5) who basically bought it because it was a challenge for him. A month later he contacted me to say it was one of his favorite sounding pickups he ever owned!! That made me happy!
Old 06-14-2021, 09:29 PM

Is that pedal from this century, or "old"? People pay good money for early 1980s Ibanez pedals.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-15-2021, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

This century. I bought it new in 2006(ish).
Old 06-15-2021, 02:07 PM

Dave, I'm curious as to the cause given the symptoms. If you have time on your hands and you're a little handy, I'd open the pedal and have a look. I doubt you'll see anything but there are lots of experts who could help, like a pedal building forum. It may be a bad op amp (here I am talking like I know what I'm taking about, which I don't).
Old 06-15-2021, 03:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Well, I've got you beat. I got my CS-9 in about 1983. Here's a fun factoid: If you run the two "stereo" outputs into a console and pan them both to the center, the chorus effect disappears. For stereo, they simply phase-inverted the effect and sent it to one of the outputs.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars