The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-12-2021, 08:39 AM

Default Gig payout information (informal poll of sorts)

I was wondering what is a payout rate for working music groups?
I'm in the Central VA area.
I know this will vary for the group size and venue demand.
I'll be the first to answer.
My 2 piece Group generally gets $300 for a 3 hour gig.
For private events we start at $450 per3 hours no tip jar. Or $400 with tip jar allowed.
For Church type events, we have no fee, but allow them to take up a "Love Offering"

Thanks for the input!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 06-12-2021, 08:47 AM

Totally varied, depending on the type of venue, size of venue and where it is. We've had this discussion here many times.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-12-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

What Mike said. We're also a duo and try to charge enough that we're not undermining those that depend on making live music for their main income. We're in the envious position of doing what we love and getting paid (a bit at times!) for it.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:02 AM

We charge $100 per hour, generally do 3 or 4 hour gigs in bars. So $300-$400.

We haven't done any private events so no experience with that.

We will discount for fundraisers. But that's a slippery slope to navigate so we are careful about how many of these we will do.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:50 AM

Let’s see…
I do a monthly Wednesday night Happy/Dinner hour gig at a dinner club/bar. All the beer I can drink (which is usually two) and dinner (which is usually a burger.)

I write this knowing I risk the “giving it away hurts the real working musicians” reply. To be clear, the “crowd” is typically 20-25 people and most of them are there because of me.

It’s fun. Period.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:27 PM

Typically $400 for 3 hours for my duo. $600 for private gigs as they’re usually more work and hassle. I only had one place try to get me to $300 plus food, but on July 3 I’d normally expect an increase over our regular fee. Since they didn’t offer any additional dates, I canceled it.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played out in about a year and a half. I had been doing occasional corporate events, which were 2 hours (happy hour or after dinner) for $200. Not seeing this sort of gathering coming back, yet. I haven't depended on playing out for income in decades, but I was able to keep my hand in it as desired.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Let’s see…
I do a monthly Wednesday night Happy/Dinner hour gig at a dinner club/bar. All the beer I can drink (which is usually two) and dinner (which is usually a burger.)

I write this knowing I risk the “giving it away hurts the real working musicians” reply. To be clear, the “crowd” is typically 20-25 people and most of them are there because of me.

It’s fun. Period.
So your pay is about $30. Assume each of the 20 people who come (because of you) spend $20 each, the bar is pulling in $400 that they would not have made if you were not there (the cost of the hired help, electricity, etc is there whether you are playing or not). You didn't mention how long you play, assume at least 2 hours and you are hauling in a sound system, spending some of your personal time promoting the gig, changing strings, practicing, etc. I would think $150 would be a reasonable fee for you.
Once you do it for 'food and drink' you have set the bar at what your worth is, and doubtful you will ever get more - or the place will pay anyone else any more (at least on a Wednesday night).

In the northeast Massachusetts area, $150 (solo) to $300 (duo/trio) for 3 hours at a pub/restaurant is the normal.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-14-2021, 08:49 AM

My rule is "I don't leave the house for less than $100 (unless it's going to be REALLY fun)"

That $300 for a 3 hour gig for a duo sounds right about right.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-14-2021, 09:27 AM

I don't worry about playing a low paying gig as taking away from a working musician that has no other source of income, because they would never play the gig. I have some qualifications though, must be fun, a place I enjoy being, good crowd, friends and family comfortable coming out, no drunks, manager is cool and doesn't try to control set list or make suggestions..... Don't need any of that advice.

By the way yes I vaguely remember the days of good paying gigs way back in the last decade, circa 2019...
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-15-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
So your pay is about $30. Assume each of the 20 people who come (because of you) spend $20 each, the bar is pulling in $400 that they would not have made if you were not there (the cost of the hired help, electricity, etc is there whether you are playing or not). You didn't mention how long you play, assume at least 2 hours and you are hauling in a sound system, spending some of your personal time promoting the gig, changing strings, practicing, etc. I would think $150 would be a reasonable fee for you.
Once you do it for 'food and drink' you have set the bar at what your worth is, and doubtful you will ever get more - or the place will pay anyone else any more (at least on a Wednesday night).

In the northeast Massachusetts area, $150 (solo) to $300 (duo/trio) for 3 hours at a pub/restaurant is the normal.
I knew this was going to happen. Let me elaborate if my personal tale is of that much concern.

This is a small “private” tennis club that dates back to the 50’s. They have been struggling for years to stay open. As a member I pay $85 for the privilege of going to a knotty pine paneled bar with a limited food menu where my wife and her avid tennis buddies can socialize.

So, yeah, I play for $30 in food and drink and I usually go for 2-3 hours. Of the 18 people (yes, I counted) that were there on a Wednesday night in May, 12 of them were friends or family. I don’t give a rats rump about getting paid for this…and neither do the other couple members who show up on Wednesdays to play and try to bring people in.

I do it for fun. It hurts no one, gives me a chance to play (which I’ve been doing for almost 50 years) and doesn’t take bread off the table of “working musicians”.

My “worth” is way more than you can imagine. My being there may keep the Manager, the two folks in the kitchen and the wait staff (one of whom is my daughters room mate, a full time parole officer working part time to help with expenses) employed.

What is that worth? A heck of a lot more than $30 and bragging rights.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I knew this was going to happen. Let me elaborate if my personal tale is of that much concern.

This is a small “private” tennis club that dates back to the 50’s. They have been struggling for years to stay open. As a member I pay $85 for the privilege of going to a knotty pine paneled bar with a limited food menu where my wife and her avid tennis buddies can socialize.

So, yeah, I play for $30 in food and drink and I usually go for 2-3 hours. Of the 18 people (yes, I counted) that were there on a Wednesday night in May, 12 of them were friends or family. I don’t give a rats rump about getting paid for this…and neither do the other couple members who show up on Wednesdays to play and try to bring people in.

I do it for fun. It hurts no one, gives me a chance to play (which I’ve been doing for almost 50 years) and doesn’t take bread off the table of “working musicians”.

My “worth” is way more than you can imagine. My being there may keep the Manager, the two folks in the kitchen and the wait staff (one of whom is my daughters room mate, a full time parole officer working part time to help with expenses) employed.

What is that worth? A heck of a lot more than $30 and bragging rights.
Ok, that's a lot more detail (and fewer audience members) than contained in your original post. And pretty irrelevant to the OP's question, but my reply to your post is relevant to the discussion. I know too many (I would call 'amateur') players who play for dinner and drinks - usually because they "know the owners", and they have set the payment bar (at ground level) for any future performances.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-16-2021, 09:06 AM

Slothead56 is exactly where I'm at on this issue. Guys that won't leave home to play a gig for less than $100 won't play that gig and are not threatened by someone willing to play that gig. You fellers stick to your standards and good for you. For those that just enjoy just playing and bringing music (light) into a (dark) room have the freedom of choice to play our gigs too.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
…my reply to your post is relevant to the discussion. I know too many (I would call 'amateur') players who play for dinner and drinks - usually because they "know the owners", and they have set the payment bar (at ground level) for any future performances.
Pretty sure you’re missing my point. I do this for the love of the game and to help out my local community. It’s really that simple.

I also play occasionally in a church band. I suppose not getting paid for that sets the payment bar at “ground level” as well? (I do know the Owner.)

BTW-For the record I cashed my first performance check in 1975.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I know too many (I would call 'amateur') players who play for dinner and drinks - usually because they "know the owners", and they have set the payment bar (at ground level) for any future performances.
I see your point, but I guess I look at it differently. I feel like if you we are charging a decent price, I have to bring more to the table than the "dinner and a couple of drinks" guys. When I show up, I'm there early. I bring pro gear that sounds great in the room, I dress like I am performing. I carry spare cables, string, capos, tools, etc. I have several playlists on my phone for different settings that I can bluetooth into the PA between sets in case the venue doesn't have thier own music or the bartender is too busy to turn it on. I play until the designated time I agreed to. I don't drink when I play. I try to be friendly and polite to everyone, including the dishwasher. I show up well rehearsed and polished. My guitars have new strings (well, at least newish) and if I'm not having a good day, I'm the only one in the room that knows about it. I mute when I tune and get music on quickly after the set as to avoid silence that make folks feel like it's time to go home.

It's a lot of work. I say if guys want to do that for peanuts, have at it. Almost every time a venue has gone that route, eventually something happens. A no show, guy gets drunk and spouts off stupid crap over the mike, breaks a string and doesn't have a spare, they decide they'd rather watch the game so they quit playing at 10. You get my drift. I've had many a call back after initially being rejected due to price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic