The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-08-2021, 12:05 PM

After pricing out the nut files I don't own on StewMac I checked out Stratosphere. It seems hard to beat a Fender Player maple board neck for $259. With tuners, string tree, nut detailing and basic fret work, it is the path of least resistance. Almost a disposable neck should I ever wear out the frets. In a weak moment I placed the order even though the body is months away.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-11-2021, 05:31 AM

I have a Strat and Baritone Tele that I built last year, Warmoth necks and bodies. Both necks are roasted flamed maple. The Strat has a similar fingerboard, the Tele a Pau Ferro. Both are modern, 59 carve, and both have stainless frets.

They both came (in terms of fret dressing, leveling, etc.) playable, pretty much like most major brands. But I spent about one neck’s cost in the various files and fixtures to allow me to fine tune the nut and really level and crown the frets. What I ended up with are two guitars that play as well as my Collings 290 and Grosh Electratone—in other words, as good as it gets. This gave me confidence to attack my other guitars, to really get them set up as ideally as I could for my playing and strings. If you think you’re interested in doing this, it’s money well spent. Otherwise, I’d budget $200 to $300 too have a good set up person do it, just like I would with a custom shop Fender, etc.

I love SS frets. Hate the thought of buying a guitar without them, at least an electric where I like to wiggle the strings. Well polished SS frets are incredible, and after a year of daily play, feel smoother than just polished NS frets after a few hours of play. Couldn’t endorse them more. I have one guitar with EVO frets and those seem close to SS, and may sound more neutral. (SS may add an almost indiscernible ping to the sound—some people are adamant about this, but I don’t hear it. I do use nickel strings though, and wonder if steel wrap strings are more prone to this.)

The Warmoth roasted color is fairly dark. Both my necks were burnished and then have a single coat of hardening oil. I’m not sure how the roasted color and clear coated swamp ash will look together. Both my bodies are swamp ash, but they are tinted. I may have some photos of the raw bodies and necks; if I do I will post them for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars