The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Some love for the Recording King RO-T16

Long time lurker here, first post. I've received so much help while researching guitars here that I thought I'd share a little love about my Recording King RO-T16 experience to pay it forward. I hope to add some insights into my other rigs as well in the future.

To me, Recording King guitars are what affordable guitars are all about , the chance to experiment with different body shapes and configurations without breaking the bank, with the occasional chance to find a guitar that speaks to you.

This happened to me with the RO-T16. I found it on eBay for a really good deal because the seller said it suffered from bridge lift. When it arrived I saw that the bridge wasn't lifting off, but that it had some belly bulge going on. I switched out the heavy strings they had on there for some lights and for the past 3 years it's been my go-to fingerstyle guitar. It's lately been used for learning jazz.

The neck on this guitar is one of the best I've played on an acoustic. It's wide but the profile is slim. Besides the strings, I also added a fully compensated saddle which seemed to correct the intonation a bit better to close to perfect. The stock Grover tuners are great. The guitar does have thick poly finish but it doesn't have any imperfections and the sound isn't as muffled as you'd think. Sometimes when I'm playing it I can tell the baked top is opening up and the sound just gets better. It's a great guitar for recording. The sound is melodic and resonates forever. It's a little muddy when strumming but I rarely strum this guitar!

Sorry to keep going on about this guitar, but I've just been amazed at the pleasure I get from this thing and I thought if anyone else was searching for this model this could help them decide. I can't imagine myself ever getting rid of it, and it was so inexpensive!

Of the many Recording Kings I've owned, the RO-T16 is the best by far. But I also have a dirty thirties solid top dread that is amazing and an ROS-06 that is pretty close to the R0-T16 in sound and playability. So, thanks RK for an amazing value in a guitar.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:31 PM

thumbs up for Recording King
Old 04-30-2021, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I currently own two RK's (RD-316 and RD-328) and have owned a few others. They are great guitars for the money and would put them up against guitars costing much more. I had an RO-T16 for a while but recently sold it to fund another guitar. I liked it but I don't think I'm a 000 guy. It was lowest on the totem pole at the time so out it went. I'm glad you enjoy yours so much. They are nice guitars.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:32 PM

That’s a feel good story about your recording kings.

I too enjoy finding a guitar that punches above it’s weight especially ones that are cost effective.

I had a Farida OT-22W that I really liked and wished I would have kept.

Play on with your RK’s!
Old 04-30-2021, 06:36 PM

I had an RD327 for a while and it was a very nice guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, acoustic, guitar, recording king, ro-t16