The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2021, 10:00 PM

I’m a dread guy, but I really the enjoyed the LG2 American Eagle I had. I let it go this summer to get something I’d really wanted for a long time but had never pulled the trigger on.

I don’t regret that move at all, but I do miss that guitar and could see myself getting another one when funds allow. In was super impressed with how well it strummed and would recommend as a small do it all guitar.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:09 PM

Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy?
Old 01-02-2021, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Subby,

When Covid permits I play solo gigs at local restaurants, breweries, and the like. Perform mostly 1950's - 80's) with a smattering of other things. I perform seated. My primary guitar for this is a Martin 00-28 played through a Fishman Loudbox Artist. I have found the 00-28 to be a great strummer (which is what I mostly do), it's super comfortable to play, and sounds bigger than it's size. It's also fun and comfortable to play around the house. Like most smaller guitars, it can get lost when playing unplugged with bigger guitars. That's just science.

Another great "little" guitar is a Larrivee LS-03 (a small version of the L body). Puts out a healthy sound for its size. You have to buy used or have one custom made by Larrivee for you. If you can find one (or have one built) its definitely worth a look.

Enjoy the hunt and keep us posted !

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby View Post
Definitely interesting but unfortunately I'm not seeing the sale price on their site.
My apologies it does appear to be gone. I got an email confirming my order. Now I just hope they didn’t over-sell!

Breedlove appears to have taken the non-cutaway version of the Concertina out of the lineup altogether. I do like the cutaway but not $400 worth.
Depending on the nut width you prefer the fourteen fret Eastman OOs are probably a better small all arounder. Based on the tone of my twelve fret I’ll again recommend you add Eastman to your list.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention the FSX5 in my list. Leaning that way now that I look deeper. Is the AC3M a better choice?
Better? Eh, different. With the cutaway, the AC3M will be more versatile I feel.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
May I be the first to suggest an USA Breedlove concertina model? Biggest problem might be getting your hands on one to try.
I’m going by memory but there’s also the cinnamon burst, Premier, Legacy, and master class.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 01-02-2021, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure you have seen this 00-18 and 00-28 comparison. Given the music genre you play for gigs and at home, personally, I'd lean towards the 00-18 with its "thinner" sound. I might even go further in that direction and look at the Beard Deco phonic Sidecar. It's the size you want, USA made, and we'll within your price range.

Quote:
My personal tastes conflict with what I earn money playing. I'm in a duo and we play top 40 with some millennial crowd-pleasers like Sublime, Coldplay, "Fast Car", etc.

In my basement I enjoy playing 90's alternative, punk, and grunge acoustically. Think Nirvana's Unplugged set or when Billy Corgan does Smashing pumpkins covers on his acoustic. I also enjoy playing a lot of CCR. So it's a good bit of note-picking but some fairly forceful strumming. Honestly all over the board as far as what I'm asking the guitar to do.
Really, I would stay away from anything too "lush" for playing that repertoire. It could just get messy and ill defined.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 01-02-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Maton 808.

madhat.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:39 PM

Larrivee OM-40 (or OM-40R depending on your preference)
Yamaha FS3 or FS5 (mahogany)
Yamaha LS16 or LS26 (rosewood)
Old 01-02-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Larrivee OM-40 (or OM-40R depending on your preference)
Yamaha FS3 or FS5 (mahogany)
Yamaha LS16 or LS26 (rosewood)
Pleasantly surprised to see the Yamahas mentioned twice here. Are the higher end Yamahas in the “pry it from my dead hands” status a lot of people seem to have with the higher end Martin’s and Taylor’s?
Old 01-02-2021, 11:02 PM

If you're going to be singing with it, then it mainly depends on which one you think goes best with your voice.

I think that for most people, the 00-18 would end up being the better fit than the 00-28.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

I'm sure you have seen this 00-18 and 00-28 comparison. Given the music genre you play for gigs and at home, personally, I'd lean towards the 00-18 with its "thinner" sound. I might even go further in that direction and look at the Beard Deco phonic Sidecar. It's the size you want, USA made, and we'll within your price range.

Really, I would stay away from anything too "lush" for playing that repertoire. It could just get messy and ill defined.
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the info! Very helpful. Could you elaborate on what you mean by guitars that might be too lush?
Old 01-02-2021, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the info! Very helpful. Could you elaborate on what you mean by guitars that might be too lush?
Yep. Basically, anything that a fingerstyle player would rave about because they have a deep rich sound, lots of overtones and bass. The 00-28 falls in this category. It is a beautiful, beautiful guitar but I wonder if it may be too rich and complex in tone for what you want to play? I know it wouldn't suit me. I love to play with a flat pick on small bodied guitars and dig in a little. I have played some guitars with wonderful tonewood and resonance that really haven't suited me.

At present I play a just a cheap Art & Lutherie Legacy, which is plywood back and sides and solid spruce top. The tone really suits me. I can sit around with friends and bang through different types of music and hand the guitar around for others to play, and it just seems to work.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Yep. Basically, anything that a fingerstyle player would rave about because they have a deep rich sound, lots of overtones and bass. The 00-28 falls in this category. It is a beautiful, beautiful guitar but I wonder if it may be too rich and complex in tone for what you want to play? I know it wouldn't suit me. I love to play with a flat pick on small bodied guitars and dig in a little. I have played some guitars with wonderful tonewood and resonance that really haven't suited me.

At present I play a just a cheap Art & Lutherie Legacy, which is plywood back and sides and solid spruce top. The tone really suits me. I can sit around with friends and bang through different types of music and hand the guitar around for others to play, and it just seems to work.
That makes perfect sense, thanks. I am increasingly convinced that a Martin 00 may just not be for my style. I’m looking more and more at the LG-2 and Yamaha FSX5.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Ok then subby. My suggestion is, alas, out of your stated price range by $500 or more, used, but for soundness of build and the ability to perform your repertoire as well as function as an at-home player, I’d suggest a Collings C-10, in either mahogany or maple back/sides and either adi or sitka spruce.

The basic C10 is sitka and mahogany and they’re kind of forgotten these days, so you might be able to find something. The C10-35 is a newer take on it with different bracing - plenty of info online.

I’d say $2500 used would be a nice deal, and you should be able to find something around $3k, mas o menus.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion