The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
Come to think of it, Sharkydude has an old Sigma that is incredible. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a bunch of members mention their Sigma guitars.
Back in 1984/85 I was working for the summer in Dayton, Ohio. I went to a music store and purchased a Sigma DT-3. I knew nothing about the guitar except that it was beautiful and all the paperwork said "Martin". The salesman said to come back the next day at 3:00 and he would have new strings and a set-up done. When I returned the next day, the shop was deserted and quiet. Except for the most amazing and beautiful sounding finger picking going on. As I came around a corner, there sat the technician playing my new Sigma! Well, needless to say, it has never sounded that good since LOL! I still have the guitar but can no longer play it due to severe shoulder arthritis.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
I didn't realize the Yairis were laminates? Aren't they solid wood now? I had a non Yairi alvarez that I liked alot too. Sold it to help fund my first Taylor. It was a nice guitar, but I won't ever regret that decision
I do not know with certainty if the Yairi's today are all solid, but the 70's guitars by K. Yairi were laminated sides and back with solid spruce tops. I believe that the Yairi's of today with a model number DY-100 or higher are solid all around. Those lower than 100 series are still laminated sides and back.

Bob
Old 05-23-2013, 11:38 AM

My Alvarez model 5059 made in 1980 is still providing me with great tone after all these years.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM

I had an Ibanez AEL20e (75% sure that was the model number), and it sounded great! I was a definite upgrade for me at the time. Not to mention it was one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.

I now have a Taylor 210e Dread with solid Sitka spruce top, but rosewood laminate back and sides. It sounds superb. After a good set up, and a few tiny upgrades, I would put it up against any other dreadnaught.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Yamaha FG-180 Nippon Gakki.
Purchased new in 1969 (I scrawled the year on the label when I bought it, so I'd remember). Followed me everywhere in college and afterward, single life and married. Still hangs on the wall over my desk at work, and I play it...even if it's just a few chords...every weekday before my day officially begins.
Funny thing is, I never really appreciated how good the guitar sounded until I ended a 30-year hiatus from playing a couple of years back. Don't know if laminates "age" like wine, but I do love the sound of this one.

Dirk
Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Yairi CY140
Seagull Rustic Mini Jumbo
Seagull S6 12 string
GS Mini Mahogany
GS Mini Blackwood
Yamaha F something or other with flamed Sycamore/ Englemann spruce
Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM

My 70's Gibson Gospel has been blowing away people for as long as I've had it. It has a laminated arched maple back, laminated maple sides, solid spruce top! It's not loud but extremely balanced with great tone.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I used to have some great sounding Guilds that were laminated. You could tell because they had an arched back like a violin.

F 412 - maple twelve string, like the one you can see Paul Simon playing in some really old S&G videos.

F 50

D 25

I just gravitated away from maple and mahogany after a while.

CK
Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Default Best Sounding Laminate

I was in a small music store in the early 90s when the owner had just unboxed an Epiphone Everly Brothers Model. The strings looked like they had only been on the guitar five minutes. It played like a dream and sounded like one too, and I think they were asking $250.00. I've played a number of laminates since then, but nothing has come close.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I used to have some great sounding Guilds that were laminated. You could tell because they had an arched back like a violin.

F 412 - maple twelve string, like the one you can see Paul Simon playing in some really old S&G videos.

F 50

D 25

I just gravitated away from maple and mahogany after a while.

CK
My Guild G37B is just like that.
Laminated Maple back&sides and a sound to die for!!

Of course normally one would link "laminate" with "cheap" which is definitely not the case with Guild guitars.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Played a 200 series Taylor I believe it was laminate back and sides sounded fantastic.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 PM

I used to have an Epiphone DR-100 all laminate dread. It's a 99 dollar guitar, but for whatever reason it always sounded good to me. Rich tone, lots of punch.
1930's Pablo Camille Parlor
Old 05-27-2013, 12:28 AM

Either a particularly well turned out Martin 000x1AE whose sound was incredibly rich and whose playability was beyond all compare, or it could have been a Recording King ROS 16 that sparkled like a 2k Taylor with fantastic note separation while projecting thunder like a cannon.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:31 AM

alvarez yairi WY1K koa, plugged in anyway. little thin unplugged but what an awesome sound amped.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 AM

All-laminate: Art & Lutherie Almond Folk
Solid-top: Breedlove Passport OM/MMe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion