The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-02-2015, 04:53 AM

Default Gerber #4 for Memphis

I just finished up my fourth entry for the Memphis show and wanted to share it here for all those who may be interested. It's a modified SJ with Cocobolo rosewood back and sides and Lutz spruce top. Multi-scale at 25.34" - 24.9", and a wedge body for comfort.

This guitar turned out better than I could have hoped, and I'm really excited to get it in your hands to try at the show!

[IMG]IMG_9810 by adrienne mickler, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_9963 by adrienne mickler, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_9837 by adrienne mickler, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_9967 by adrienne mickler, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_9930 by adrienne mickler, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 AM

Ryan, that looks fantastic! Love the decorative detailing... is that opal / turquoise? Really original work, I bet they'll love it at Memphis

Jon

Last edited by JonBarclay; 06-02-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 AM

Thanks Jon, The stone inlay is crushed turquoise. I'm hoping they like it as well!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 AM

Thanks Steve, I look forward to meeting you and your guitars.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 AM

Absolutely love the turquoise. I'm usually not a fan of such subtle fans but yours somehow just looks RIGHT. I am rooting for it to find a good home at Memphis!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-03-2015, 03:42 PM

Beautiful work! Very tastefully done. I even like the fact that it is fan fret.
Travis
Old 06-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Such a tastefully appointed instrument ... just LOVE all of the subtle-but-striking points of interest. WOW!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Such a tastefully appointed instrument ... just LOVE all of the subtle-but-striking points of interest. WOW!!!
Thanks David! Wish I could get the chance to play your creations at the festival, but I don't see you on the list. Maybe another time....
Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Absolutely love the turquoise. I'm usually not a fan of such subtle fans but yours somehow just looks RIGHT. I am rooting for it to find a good home at Memphis!
Thanks Marcus for your compliments. I'm curious if you could articulate any further about what you usually dislike about subtle fan frets?

This is my first multi-scale, so I have to admit I'm a bit of a newbie. Before this build, I had only played another multi-scale for no more than five minutes. If felt right though, and I wanted to do something similar with this guitar. Personally, I find the severe fan fret layouts to be a bit intimidating and over the top, so I settled on the best of the "normal" scale lengths that I prefer - 24.9" to 25.34". I also chose to go 13 frets to the body in order to place the bridge where I wanted it. (I hope to be able to talk more about this at the show with people who play it. This is the most powerful guitar I've built, and I give the bridge placement part of the credit for this).

After playing it for a week or so, I can say that it fits me like a glove. A few others who have played it haven't even noticed the fan fret, which to me is a good thing. That means that you don't have to compensate form with the left hand to play precisely and feel comfortable.

I'm looking forward to seeing your guitar in Memphis! Will you be there with it?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Beautiful work! Very tastefully done. I even like the fact that it is fan fret.
Travis
Thanks Travis - It's my goal to always stay tasteful, but still be interesting. It's something that I'm always working towards, and hopefully getting better at.

Another thumbs up for the fan fret! Awesome!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

BEAUTIFUL guitar, Ryan! You have a very elegant and refined design here. The subtle embellishments with the crushed turquoise are very tasty! The Cocobolo is really rich and sumptuous, with classic figure.
I get a feeling, just looking at your photos, this guitar also sounds splendid.
Hearty round of applause for you! Hope you have a great time at the show!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 PM

That's some beautiful cocobolo too. Visually it's a home run - I'd love to hear it too!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
Thanks Marcus for your compliments. I'm curious if you could articulate any further about what you usually dislike about subtle fan frets?

This is my first multi-scale, so I have to admit I'm a bit of a newbie. Before this build, I had only played another multi-scale for no more than five minutes. If felt right though, and I wanted to do something similar with this guitar. Personally, I find the severe fan fret layouts to be a bit intimidating and over the top, so I settled on the best of the "normal" scale lengths that I prefer - 24.9" to 25.34". I also chose to go 13 frets to the body in order to place the bridge where I wanted it. (I hope to be able to talk more about this at the show with people who play it. This is the most powerful guitar I've built, and I give the bridge placement part of the credit for this).

After playing it for a week or so, I can say that it fits me like a glove. A few others who have played it haven't even noticed the fan fret, which to me is a good thing. That means that you don't have to compensate form with the left hand to play precisely and feel comfortable.

I'm looking forward to seeing your guitar in Memphis! Will you be there with it?
Thanks Ryan for the detailed response! I often find fanned frets which are subtle to look as if they were unintentionally skewed. The larger scale differences (0.75" and above) seem more intentional and even if people dislike the looks of a fan fret, they will understand that it was designed to be one. But yours somehow just looks right!

You're not alone, I find those extreme fans intimidating too! I can't imagine the stretch involved especially since my hands aren't as large you westerners haha

Definitely do play it and let me know what you think I wish I were going but I'm afraid I won't be attending :/ I would have definitely wanted to give your guitar a test drive. I wish you all the best with the show!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Thanks Ryan for the detailed response! I often find fanned frets which are subtle to look as if they were unintentionally skewed. The larger scale differences (0.75" and above) seem more intentional and even if people dislike the looks of a fan fret, they will understand that it was designed to be one. But yours somehow just looks right!

You're not alone, I find those extreme fans intimidating too! I can't imagine the stretch involved especially since my hands aren't as large you westerners haha

Definitely do play it and let me know what you think I wish I were going but I'm afraid I won't be attending :/ I would have definitely wanted to give your guitar a test drive. I wish you all the best with the show!

I was afraid to ask to try your guitar, but with your permission I would love to! It's sure to be an epic weekend!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop