The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2019, 12:48 PM

If bridge pins are seated correctly, they literally might not even be touching the wound part of the string itself, just the ball end and perhaps the tie. After that, the string immediately touches the bridge, followed by touching the saddle. I don't think I'll ever bring myself to try bridge pins for tone reasons.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

If you have slotted pin-holes and solid pins, even the ball-ends might not contact the pins, they ‘lock’ under the bridge plate. I read claims that even changing one bridge-pin can miraculously transform an instrument’s tone, but my personal view is that that claim is based on a great deal of Confirmation-Bias.

I’ve changed pins in all my pin-bridge guitars - original plastic to bone to FWI to ebony to Antique Acoustics galalith. Never heard a difference. Settled on ebony w/MOP dots, purely for the sake of appearance.

My Lowdens don’t even have bridge-pins, and they lack absolutely nothing in terms of volume and tone.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
My Lowdens don’t even have bridge-pins, and they lack absolutely nothing in terms of volume and tone.
Great point.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 04-06-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
If you have slotted pin-holes and solid pins, even the ball-ends might not contact the pins, they ‘lock’ under the bridge plate. I read claims that even changing one bridge-pin can miraculously transform an instrument’s tone, but my personal view is that that claim is based on a great deal of Confirmation-Bias.

I’ve changed pins in all my pin-bridge guitars - original plastic to bone to FWI to ebony to Antique Acoustics galalith. Never heard a difference. Settled on ebony w/MOP dots, purely for the sake of appearance.

Excellent points, excellent points...
Old 04-12-2019, 10:56 PM

I’m not an expert, by any means, but in a pinless bridge the dynamics of string contact is different and could possibly cause a different sound. Has anyone ever put a traditional pin-style bridge on a guitar designed for a pinless one? I had a nice Takamine made with quality wood and sounded (so I thought) wonderful; until I played with my brother’s D-15. Could have been any number of factors, but I made him sell me the Martin and gave the Takamine to a friend. In the end; if it sounds better to you there’s no reason not to give it a whirl. I, for one, take comfort in the fact that gifted and dedicated people are taking valuable time out of their day to try and enhance my guitar experience.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:46 AM

I read somewhere that if you had one teaspoon of the matter that makes up a neutron star, it would weigh two tons. Surely, bridge pins made of this material would have an effect on tone.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:14 PM

Anyone here know where can i buy the new"liquidmetal bridge pins" like the one Martin used on their new line up?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjane04 View Post
Anyone here know where can i buy the new"liquidmetal bridge pins" like the one Martin used on their new line up?
you can buy them here:
https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/

for $99 (dark grey or chrome) or $149 (gold)...pretty pricey upgrade!
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 PM

I went through the excercise with a Martin Jeff Tweedy I used to own. Tusq, ebony, brass and I forget what else. I could hear a difference. Some more apparent than others. In the end, I went back to the stock plastic ones. They just sounded better on that guitar.

I suppose my attitude about it these days is leave it the way it was designed unless I don't like it, in which case I'd probably just sell the guitar.

Maybe those new Martin ones offer something special, but at $99, I don't think I'll be finding out first hand any time soon.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:11 PM

Did anyone record or measure in exactly the same conditions; his guitar playing with liquid metal pins and with his previous ones, as it is now possible to have those pins on any guitar since they are on sale ($149 for a set of six)...It would be interesting to see if there is a genuine difference in volume, which seemed to me to be the case on a recording I heard of a Modern Deluxe ? I may have missed such report, so I hope someone will tell if it's been done...
Old 05-05-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
Did anyone record or measure in exactly the same conditions; his guitar playing with liquid metal pins and with his previous ones, as it is now possible to have those pins on any guitar since they are on sale ($149 for a set of six)...It would be interesting to see if there is a genuine difference in volume, which seemed to me to be the case on a recording I heard of a Modern Deluxe ? I may have missed such report, so I hope someone will tell if it's been done...
Man.. I wish I could remember who it was who was doing all of the crazy specific and in depth testing of bridge pins. I wanna say vindibona(??) But I'm not sure. Also I apologize for context; (or lack) but I didnt read the OP or any of the replies.. just kinda skipped right here.

At any rate, I would be interested to know if there is any difference.. but I will likely just stick with dyed bone as I like the aesthetic better, on my guitars anyway. I have been really interested in a 000 or OM modern deluxe but just cant make it work in the budget for another year or 2 without selling something that I'm not willing to.

Cheers
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-05-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I'd agree with your statement YMMV, as I've never played a Lowden that wow'd me. And like you, I also haven't had the opportunity to compare a Lowden with bridge pins to one without.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The composite bridge plate interests me far more than the bridge pins do.

whm
I am looking forward to playing this guitar, and I am with on the bridge plate
Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I read somewhere that if you had one teaspoon of the matter that makes up a neutron star, it would weigh two tons. Surely, bridge pins made of this material would have an effect on tone.
Actually an entire teaspoon would weigh around 10 million tons. I'm in! Any idea of shipping costs?

http://hosting.astro.cornell.edu/aca...utron_star.htm
Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM

Isn't JB Weld a form of liquid metal? Maybe that's the next big thing?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion