The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM

Default McIlroy A30c vs A35c: What is the difference ?

What is the difference between these two. Looks like same basic shape. Maybe tone woods are different ?

John
Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the the guitars are the same except tonewoods are different.

The A denotes the guitar design [From website: "mid size jumbo, somewhere between an OM and a large Jumbo like the J200"], the 3 is EIR back/sides then the 0 denotes Sitka Spruce top, and the 5 is Western Red Cedar top - so:

A30c is Sitka/EIR with cutaway
A35c is Cedar/EIR with cutaway

I have an A30 and an A25 (Cedar/Walnut) - both great guitars...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 11-14-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Default Tonal differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Yes, the the guitars are the same except tonewoods are different.

The A denotes the guitar design [From website: "mid size jumbo, somewhere between an OM and a large Jumbo like the J200"], the 3 is EIR back/sides then the 0 denotes Sitka Spruce top, and the 5 is Western Red Cedar top - so:

A30c is Sitka/EIR with cutaway
A35c is Cedar/EIR with cutaway

I have an A30 and an A25 (Cedar/Walnut) - both great guitars...
I heard the A30c played by Mr. Mclean and fell in love with the tone. Actually I am wondering how much of a tonal difference there would be between an A30c and an A37c using the Aderondack spruce rather than the sitka spruce.

John
Old 11-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

My advice is to contact Dermot McIlroy - email contact is on the website - and ask his opinion - he is very helpful. The difference can be subtle and there is some variance in both - he will be able to advise how the two woods compare in his guitars.

Personally I think Sitka can be 'underrated' and paying considerably more doesn't guarantee you a sound that you will prefer.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM

The shape of these guitars is indeed identical: The "A" designates the "Auditorium" style.

We have sold a bunch of both models, but far more A30s. The sitka/rosewood A30 has great fullness and response, with some serious volume, and great tone for singing along. In 13 years in the guitar biz, I've only had one serious "one that got away", and it was a Mcilroy A30c that is to this day the best guitar Dermot ever sent us. I never should have sold it, but live and learn, I guess. No matter what, you really can't go wrong with that model.

The A35 tends to be a bit more relaxed, not as loud, a bit meatier in DADGAD than the A30. Dermot's cedar-topped guitars are magic, but I personally think walnut instead of rosewood for the b/s is a better mix.

The great part is, these are all killer instruments, so you can't go wrong no matter which you choose.

John
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop