The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 07:34 AM

Default Anyone familiar with Gibson J-60

I played a 2011 J-60 a few days ago and thought it was nice. I am not familiar with the J-60 line. It did not have a sound I associate with Gibson. It was more Martinesque. Does anyone have any info on these?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

They are known as Bone Crusher II. Advanced Jumbo was the original Bone Crusher. The name implies that they are loud guitars that will compete with Martin Herringbone dreadnought HD28. J60 has long scale 25.5" neck with Walnut back&sides and they live up to their name.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

...I played a J-60 at the Gibson store at Opry Mills back when they were there....I played it a good while because I was blown away by how good it was...I have to say it was very Martinesque and was on par with a very good Martin D-28 from the same time period...I’m pretty sure the one I played had EIR ack and sides....
Old 04-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...I played a J-60 at the Gibson store at Opry Mills back when they were there....I played it a good while because I was blown away by how good it was...I have to say it was very Martinesque and was on par with a very good Martin D-28 from the same time period...I’m pretty sure the one I played had EIR ack and sides....
They were made with both Walnut and EIR B/S.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:17 AM

not sure on this. But I have heard they only made Walnut in 2005 and just a few were made- like 50 or less. I think they made j-60s in the 90s...stopped for a while then brought them back in 2005....stopped again,,,, and then did custom shop versions in 2011
Old 04-12-2021, 12:23 PM

I had a j60 purchase around 2012 with rosewood back and sides

It was the loudest guitar I ever played. Sounded great, just had an issue on the specific guitar with a dead note on 3rd fret 6th string which is probably the worst place a dead not could be.

I ended up returning It.

I agree though sounded very martinesque.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion