The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 11:10 PM

Default Martin D45 production

Question for all you folks - how many D45’s does Martin produce a year?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:52 AM

Hi,

Short answer: I don’t know.

Long-winded answer: I don’t know, but from Martin’s published data they produced 6305 D45s from it’s reintroduction in 1968 until 2005 inclusive. So about 170 per year, the highest annual total in that period being 340.

I am sure there will be some comment in an article or interview since then that will give a better idea of current production. We do know that Martin, since 2005 (and ignoring recent events) have continued to increase production year on year, and that sales of high-dollar guitars have also increased significantly in that period. Offset against that is that buyers now have far greater choice and awareness of other options whether they be from individual luthiers, boutique shops or other major manufacturers, and from Martin themselves (special editions, artist models, custom shop etc.). My guess (and it is purely a guess) would be at least the upper end of known production and probably a bit more ie. in the 350-450 per year.

Hopefully someone will provide some more definitive data.

Cheers,
Clive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion