The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar is which?
Guitar 1 is spruce over rosewood, guitar 2 is cedar over rosewood 40 57.14%
Guitar 1 is cedar over rosewood, guitar 2 is spruce over rosewood 20 28.57%
I can hear a difference, but I can't identify it 6 8.57%
I can't really hear any difference 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
No, the cedar has new Elixirs on it and the spruce has Pierre Bensusan DADGAD mediums which are 3 months old, but not 3 months of playing time, more like half that.

The first guitar is the Furch cedar and the second my Avalon which is spruce topped.

Your question highlights the reality that any guitar comparison is heavily dependent on the string type and age.

A real guitar comparison would have to have the same strings put on the guitars within the same hour and have the same amount of playing time on them and the same type of playing.

When I was doing the recordings it was the first time I had played the Furch and and the Avalon together and I was surprised how mellow the Avalon sounded in comparison to the Furch. Its all in the strings.

The recordings were made with a Zoom H5 with its built in mics.

I guess I really should change the Avalon's strings

Ok ok. Tricked again haha! I was trying to guess based on the comparison. However based on other Cedar topped Furch recordings I have heard, I can totally hear that in Guitar 1.

Guess we need another blind test with new strings on that Avalon
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 04-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, the cedar has new Elixirs on it and the spruce has Pierre Bensusan DADGAD mediums which are 3 months old, but not 3 months of playing time, more like half that.

The first guitar is the Furch cedar and the second my Avalon which is spruce topped.

Your question highlights the reality that any guitar comparison is heavily dependent on the string type and age.

A real guitar comparison would have to have the same strings put on the guitars within the same hour and have the same amount of playing time on them and the same type of playing.

When I was doing the recordings it was the first time I had played the Furch and and the Avalon together and I was surprised how mellow the Avalon sounded in comparison to the Furch. Its all in the strings.

Yep, that’s pretty much what I thought when I voted (1) cedar and (2) spruce. The strings on (2) sound ‘old’ in comparison with (1), I’m astonished no-one else heard that (or, if they did, they didn’t comment on it).

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-11-2021, 10:38 AM

Just caught up to this thread.

Cedar in general tends to be warmer and has less headroom than spruce. However if the cedar is strung with Elixirs...well let me just say that most of my guitars strung with Elixirs sound like...Elixirs. Not familiar with the other brand you strung the others with, and being 3 months old will definitely dull the sound (which is why I was surprised going back and forth they both sounded fairly close).

Also cedar headroom is revealed with strumming, especially when one really digs in.

If you want to really put us through the "can you tell tonewood tops to the test" I'd say string with the same non-coated string of the same age (i.e. D'addario EJ16s which are pretty ubiquitous and inexpensive) and give us some strumming passages. I find EJ16s don't need to settle in very much, so you could record fairly quickly after restringing and stretching them out.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 04-11-2021, 10:40 AM

I won, I won, I won!!! Wait. What did I win?

Might have to try out those P. B. DADGAD strings.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

IMO, I can't think of more different sounding sets of strings (in the trebles) than Elixirs and Wyres PB DADGADs.

Quote:

Old 04-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
IMO, I can't think of more different sounding sets of strings (in the trebles) than Elixirs and Wyres PB DADGADs.
The Elixirs are 12, 16 and 24 the Wyres are 13, 17 and 23.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-11-2021, 05:37 PM

How about a "fair" comparison??? Otherwise...why play?
Old 04-11-2021, 06:35 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
How about a "fair" comparison??? Otherwise...why play?
I was asking myself that too before I posted the thread and I thought some might find it informative/interesting that the sound of tone woods can get totally thrown off by the age of the strings. Its totally useless what I did in one way and in another way its reality.

I bought a cedar topped guitar because all the research I did indicated it would be on the mellow side. Well, compared to what?

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-11-2021, 08:22 PM

IME Elixirs make every guitar sound like 75% elixirs and 25% the guitar.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 04-11-2021, 10:51 PM

Default Spruce or Cedar, can you tell which is which

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
IME Elixirs make every guitar sound like 75% elixirs and 25% the guitar.

....mmm, this make me think... Probably I will never buy Elixirs strings [emoji16].
Re-thinking, there was something non convincing in the guitar 1 as a spruce ones, but the guitar 2 sounded too “not spruce” at my ears.
Peculiar and interesting comparison, thanks.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:09 AM

I have the same Furch guitar and I really thought No2 was the Furch cedar , it sounded just like mine , I have ej16 on it about a month old .....
Old 04-12-2021, 12:39 AM

I voted 1.Cedar 2. Spruce, because nr 2 has a more tight sound, 1 less tight to my ears..
Old 04-12-2021, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was asking myself that too before I posted the thread and I thought some might find it informative/interesting that the sound of tone woods can get totally thrown off by the age of the strings. Its totally useless what I did in one way and in another way its reality.

I bought a cedar topped guitar because all the research I did indicated it would be on the mellow side. Well, compared to what?
I completely agree with you Barry. It is reality! When we pick up a guitar to play it is what it is. And so much of the tone you get is in your hands. I bet that if I played my repertoire in my normal playing style on either of those guitars that folks would swear that I was playing a different instrument.

Well done on bringing some reality to the tone debate.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:27 AM

Quote:

Compared to all other things being equal, that's how comparisons are usually made otherwise it becomes a meaningless exercise.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
I have the same Furch guitar and I really thought No2 was the Furch cedar , it sounded just like mine , I have ej16 on it about a month old .....
I have some EJ17's that I might put on it. I also have a set of Laurence Juber Martin Retros (nickle) 13-56 in inventory. I'll have the guitar in DADGAD and lower tunings.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion