The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 04:24 AM

Default Rotosound Superbronze vs Jumbo Kings

Up to now I’ve only used rotosound superbronze on my Epiphone DR-500MCE. I’ve been looking at Jumbo Kings. Has anyone tried both? Is there any difference in the strings other than the contact core on the superbronze? Are the Jumbo Kings the same string just without the contact core? I’m interested because the superbronze appear to be cutting into my saddle, but I love the sound and feel of the superbronze. Also, I’ve read that Legacy strings are just repacked Jumbo King’s at a cheaper price and can be had for £4.99 a pack.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

I've been using the Super Bronze since they were called Country Gold. Started using around 2000. Don't see them cutting in the saddles. What kind of saddle have you got?
I did get a few sets of Jumbo Kings on my last order. Can't bring myself to put them on. Maybe I'll try them on my 000-15. Teetering on selling that one anyway.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I've been using the Super Bronze since they were called Country Gold. Started using around 2000. Don't see them cutting in the saddles. What kind of saddle have you got?
I did get a few sets of Jumbo Kings on my last order. Can't bring myself to put them on. Maybe I'll try them on my 000-15. Teetering on selling that one anyway.
It’s the standard bone saddle that came from the factory. Maybe I’m over analysing. Please put a set of JK’s on and let me know if you see, hear or feel any difference. 🙏🏼
Old 04-07-2021, 10:30 AM

I haven't tried Superbronze, but I use Jumbo Kings regularly and I would highly recommend them. I've never noticed any saddle problems with them, and I can't see why they should be any problem for your guitar. I know it's not what you asked for but I hope it helps a little anyway.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

OK I installed the Jumbo Kings yesterday. They do sound good, I'll give you that. But, they didn't save my Martin 000-15 from the auction block. I just can't get used to the Hog Top. Playability, definitely changed. Would have to take the bridge down more if I was gonna use these. I am primarily a fingerpicker.
Mine are JK 11-52. I think I'll let them go with the guitar.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:24 AM

Love the Jumbo Kings. Great product, dumb name. Sounds like they're going to be chunky and oversized. They're not; they're gauged like any other string. Very nice strings.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastallp View Post
Up to now I’ve only used rotosound superbronze on my Epiphone DR-500MCE. I’ve been looking at Jumbo Kings. Has anyone tried both? Is there any difference in the strings other than the contact core on the superbronze? Are the Jumbo Kings the same string just without the contact core? I’m interested because the superbronze appear to be cutting into my saddle, but I love the sound and feel of the superbronze. Also, I’ve read that Legacy strings are just repacked Jumbo King’s at a cheaper price and can be had for £4.99 a pack.
I emailed Rotosound with the same questions you've asked, but got no reply. I do know they make Legacy strings but I haven't tried them.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Love the Jumbo Kings. Great product, dumb name. Sounds like they're going to be chunky and oversized. They're not; they're gauged like any other string. Very nice strings.
Just wanted to let you know that they are next up on my "to do" list thanks to your Great String Experiment.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the replies all. Just had some Jumbo Kings land on my doorstep and I'll be changing them today. I'll feedback what differences I can see, hear and touch between Super Bronze and Jumbo Kings.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

So the 000 is gone. First guy that played it loved it. With the Jumbo Kings on it. I now have 3 sets of Jumbo Kings in my stack. I do like the Super Bronze better due to the lower action, and lower tension. I like to tremolo my strings with a little wiggle. I'm an electric player. Also my guitars are set up with the Super Bronze. I could've taken the bridge down a bit more on strings 3-6 I just didn't see the Hog as being a go to. I've got a Guild Hog/Spruce I like the sound of much better. It is set up with Super Bronze as well.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:50 AM

So the Jumbo Kings are installed.

Look

The JK's are visibly identical to the SB, with the only difference being the lack of contact core at the ball end. Identical colour. I actually found them slightly more difficult to install at the ball end due to the lack of contact core. The bridge pins especially were more difficult to insert, but not an issue overall.

Feel

The JK's are also identical to the touch to the SB. Same exact feel under the finger. Beautiful. I have noticed the action is raised slightly at fret 12 due to the lack of contact core, but I'm mainly a strummer around the first 5 frets so also not an issue.

Sound

Difficult to judge at this time. I removed a set of SB that had been on for 2 weeks, and they sounded incredible, and I can't recall what they sounded like when I first installed them. The JK's sound much brighter at the moment, but I expect that to dull down over the next week. They do sound really nice though. I can hear that they are slightly deeper sounding than the SB, with a touch less sustain. So the contact core on the SB is definitely making a difference in this area. I'll make a final decision on the sound difference in a couple of weeks time.

Conclusion

I'll leave these JK's on for the time being as they look, feel and sound great, but just not as great as the SB yet. Time will tell. I have SB in stock so I suspect I'll be returning to them once these JK's are dead, but I could quite happily live with both of these great string sets from Rotosound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I do like the Super Bronze better due to the lower action, and lower tension.
According to Rotosound, JK and SB have the same tension....https://www.rotosound.com/tension-comparison-chart/

Last edited by rastallp; 04-12-2021 at 07:17 AM. Reason: String Tensions
Old 07-26-2021, 07:16 AM

I was going to post on these, and found this not-quite-yet a zombie thread.

Over the weekend I wound up doing 3 string changes on my new Yamaha FG5. It was only supposed to be one. I removed the EJ16s I had installed a couple weeks ago, which still had life, but wanted to try others.

I installed a set of GHS 13-56 thin cores. They sounded lifeless and were off within an hour.

Next (and now on topic with this thread) I installed a set of Super Bronze 12s. They also lasted about an hour. While there was some nice tone, there was little volume, roundness to the bass or projection - even allowing for the fact they were just put on the guitar.

I think it had to do with the contact core. I think with that small of a contact area it cannot support the energy of the vibrating string to the saddle as a fully wrapped string can.

As was posted above, the Jumbo Kings visually were identical to the Super Bronze, except for the contact core. And I think it made all the difference in the world. The JKs are fantastic. They are bold, clear and loud. They have a warm old-school PB character. I also found the ball ends a little stiff and stubborn with bridge pins, but it did not impede the installation in any way, just an observation. The strings themselves feel great. Hoping to get 2 weeks out of them, then I will try them on my other guitars. But from my first couple days of use, Jumbo Kings are ones to keep in my rotation.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Installed the Jumbo King's on my 000-15.

Didn't help it much. So the Martin is gone.

Took it to consignment at 12;00pm.

Guitar sold by 3:00pm.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
I was going to post on these, and found this not-quite-yet a zombie thread.

Over the weekend I wound up doing 3 string changes on my new Yamaha FG5. It was only supposed to be one. I removed the EJ16s I had installed a couple weeks ago, which still had life, but wanted to try others.

I installed a set of GHS 13-56 thin cores. They sounded lifeless and were off within an hour.

Next (and now on topic with this thread) I installed a set of Super Bronze 12s. They also lasted about an hour. While there was some nice tone, there was little volume, roundness to the bass or projection - even allowing for the fact they were just put on the guitar.

I think it had to do with the contact core. I think with that small of a contact area it cannot support the energy of the vibrating string to the saddle as a fully wrapped string can.

As was posted above, the Jumbo Kings visually were identical to the Super Bronze, except for the contact core. And I think it made all the difference in the world. The JKs are fantastic. They are bold, clear and loud. They have a warm old-school PB character. I also found the ball ends a little stiff and stubborn with bridge pins, but it did not impede the installation in any way, just an observation. The strings themselves feel great. Hoping to get 2 weeks out of them, then I will try them on my other guitars. But from my first couple days of use, Jumbo Kings are ones to keep in my rotation.
I'm curious how this worked out for you. According to Strings By Mail, they are round wound, which run the risk of losing a lot of life when detuned/retuned.

I just put a set of JK12 on my Hummingbird Standard. Day-1 stunk, but day-2 sounds downright impressive.
2020 Gibson SJ-200 Pre-War Collection Rosewood
2018 Martin D-41
2018 Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2021 Gibson Les Paul (Wildwood Spec)
2021 Gibson ES-335 Figured Maple Cherry
2021 Fender CS Ltd 1951 Broadcaster 70th
2020 PRS Vela HB
Old 10-12-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxBiker View Post
I'm curious how this worked out for you. According to Strings By Mail, they are round wound, which run the risk of losing a lot of life when detuned/retuned.

I just put a set of JK12 on my Hummingbird Standard. Day-1 stunk, but day-2 sounds downright impressive.
Yes, they do take a day to settle in. I have since put EJ16s on my FG5. I have just put JK12s on my FSX5 and they are sounding great on there as well.

No issues detuning to Open G or D standard and back.

I think I will be rotating between EXP16s (while they last), JK12s and Sunbeams on the Yamahas. Rotosounds are still a relative bargain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion