The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 05:56 PM

Default NGD Breedlove and a Guitar Center question

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, as I've had some challenges with carpal tunnel, that most of the time, made it difficult to play. Apparently sleeping with arm braces and going to a low carb diet has greatly improved my condition!
That being said, I recently gifted my Dreadnought Jr. to my son on his 28th birthday. He had one in the past and really enjoyed playing mine. I had planned on waiting a little bit to buy another guitar, as I am starting college this month and wasn't sure if I would have time to play, but I decided to stop by GC and see what they had in stock. I checked out several cheaper guitars, since I knew I was eventually going to stay around the same budget as the Martin, but I've been itching for a Triple O sized instrument for a while. After trying several guitars, the Breedlove Signature Concert Copper CE really was the sound and look I was going for. Of course I decided I had to have it and figured (convinced myself) that it would be a good stress reliever while in school. There was a little string buzz on the low E string. There tech looked at it and decided the guitar was too dry. I offered to buy as is for a lower price, but they wouldn't haggle at all and suggested I ordered a new one. I reluctantly agreed and just received the new one today (FedEx was actually efficient and received it in two days)!
I'm overall still happy with this one as well, but the setup is a little low. If I dig in to it at all, there's buzzing on the E and A strings. I put my hygrometer in the guitar and closed up the case. After 10 minutes, it was showing 48%. I noticed the strings looked like they were very deep within the nut, but I am by no means an expert at setting up guitars. I called Guitar Center and they said they would charge me to have the tech set it up. Is this normal GC behavior or do I have a particularly crappy store? I quickly had to get off the phone as I was really irritated and didn't want to say something I might regret! So obviously, I WILL NOT be handing them money to set up the guitar!
Anyway, it sounds great lightly strummed and fingerpicked and I think it's quite lovely to boot; defintely way different that anything I've had before! So now I guess I'll have to find someone good in the area to give me a setup. Thanks for checking out my post and I'm open to suggestions if there is anything I can do...
Edit: I almost forgot that the guitar doesn't come with a case, so I ordered one from Elderly. They shipped the same day and it arrived promptly (3 days) from Michigan to Oklahoma! The case is TKL and really nice!

Old 05-17-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitar. I really like Breedlove’s. I think it’s pretty normal for a true set up to cost extra but I probably wouldn’t have GC do one either. I would start by loosening the truss rod nut 1/8 to 1/4 turn and see if that takes care of the buzz. You can always have it set up from there.

Good luck with school!
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-17-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Breedlove!

I hesitate to generalize but the few interactions I've had with Guitar Center techs have not been good. Over the longer term, if you like to tinker with things, you can learn to do it yourself with the many resources available on this forum and elsewhere online. In the short term look up an independent tech in your area and have him/her set it up to your preferences. Perhaps someone that lives in your area will chime in with a recommendation.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your perseverance and the improvement of your condition.

No shortage of Breedlove love among AGF members. That looks like a beauty !

Last edited by FingahPickah; 05-17-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar! It looks terrific!

Also, I'm glad you are not hurting quite so much!

- Glenn
Old 05-17-2022, 07:17 PM

You still get 45 days to try it out. Have a real tech set it up and make your decision.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-17-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweave69 View Post
I called Guitar Center and they said they would charge me to have the tech set it up. Is this normal GC behavior or do I have a particularly crappy store?
Congrats on the NGD, from another Breedlove fan.

I've never understood a setup to be included in the purchase of a guitar. I bought my Breedlove from a Breedlove dealer, and still had to pay for the setup.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I've never known Breedlove to sell a guitar without a case, & I never trusted GC. I would guess GC skimmed the case. And DO NOT let GC do your set-up!
Steve (another Breedlove fan)
Old 05-17-2022, 07:38 PM

Breedlove guitars are underrated IMHO. Congrats.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
I've never known Breedlove to sell a guitar without a case, & I never trusted GC. I would guess GC skimmed the case. And DO NOT let GC do your set-up!
Steve (another Breedlove fan)
The made overseas models haven’t included a case for a while now
Old 05-17-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
You still get 45 days to try it out. Have a real tech set it up and make your decision.
Solid advice...thank you!
Old 05-17-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Congrats on the NGD, from another Breedlove fan.

I've never understood a setup to be included in the purchase of a guitar. I bought my Breedlove from a Breedlove dealer, and still had to pay for the setup.
Ok good to know. I've never bought a new guitar that needed a setup so I wasn't sure. I know the guitar was made in China but final inspection in completed in Bend, so I guess some one dropped the ball.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:59 PM

Thank you everyone for the good advice and well wishes! I lost 35 lbs in the process so there's another plus!
Hopefully someone in my area has some advice for a quality guitar tech. I've only lived here a few years, so not exactly sure...
Old 05-17-2022, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Breedlove jweave!
Very cool that you gifted your Dread Jr to your son.

Hope you both enjoy

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-17-2022, 08:29 PM

I've got a Breedlove Wildwood Concert Blackbird CE African Mahogany and really like it. It was a display model that already had a set up in house and it plays perfectly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion