The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 03:51 PM

Default Waterloo Neck Profile Options and Specs

I've seen some confusion about the Waterloo neck options so I sent Collings an email for specs on their two main profiles. I received this diagram and found it helpful so I figured I'd share it here for others deciding between the "Pronounced V" and "Oval" profiles.

I tried out the WL-12 all mahogany model with the oval neck and I loved the feel. I'm a fan of full C / oval shaped necks in general. It felt just right for me, not too thin or too chunky.

The thing that does stand out to me is how thick the oval neck gets at the 9th fret... I'm wondering if this is due to the start of the heel on the 12th fret model? If anyone can verify these numbers on their own waterloo I'd be curious to know.

Hope someone finds this helpful!
Old 04-12-2021, 06:58 AM

By eyeball with a tape measure those look about right on my WL-K with oval neck. For fingerboard width, which was a lot easier to do by eyeball, I got just shy of 1&7/8” at the first fret and just shy of 2&1/8” at the ninth fret.
You’d want calipers to get more than “yeah, looks about right” for the neck thickness, so, yeah, looks about right. Mine is maybe a scoche thicker at the ninth fret, but that is definitely where the heel starts flaring out.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
By eyeball with a tape measure those look about right on my WL-K with oval neck. For fingerboard width, which was a lot easier to do by eyeball, I got just shy of 1&7/8” at the first fret and just shy of 2&1/8” at the ninth fret.
You’d want calipers to get more than “yeah, looks about right” for the neck thickness, so, yeah, looks about right. Mine is maybe a scoche thicker at the ninth fret, but that is definitely where the heel starts flaring out.
I figured the heel might add to some of the thickness on a 12 fret model. It would be interesting to me to hear from someone with a 14 fret model to see if there's much of a difference at the 9th fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
neck profile, oval, pronounced v, waterloo, waterloo neck profile