The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 PM

Default Missing a friend

So My wife got home safely tonight after spending a month with my daughter who had surgery.
And I was also glad to see my old friend Tacoma Orpheum. Think barely larger than a OOO, and dreadnought depth. We could not bring it back after Christmas. Well it was between the guitar and a grandkid[emoji848]
So tonight was the first time I had played it in three months. It has been my favorite up til the OO10 Eastman, which is a better size and I do like mahogany. But it is at the luthier for set up.
So we sat down in the chair and I told it about the last three months and it told me about closet life. But soon all was forgiven and we got along Wonderfully.
There may be some jealousy when The Eastman gets back, but the Orpheum is mellow and we will work thru it.
3 months is not quite like my friend who was 30 years separated from his Yairi, but enough to miss it.
What is the longest you guys have gone without a favorite guitar?
Old 04-11-2021, 09:56 PM

I hope your daughter's surgery was successful and she is recovering comfortably.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 04-11-2021, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

First, I hope your daughter is ok.
Second, and speaking of jealousy, was there equal time given to wife and to guitar!?
Spent a few months away from home and could only take one guitar last year.
Once went 5 months without the wife (family medical).
Not sure which was tougher.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 04-11-2021, 10:06 PM

Smile

I never had a chance to miss my favourite/s the way you did. Sometimes I miss playing a guitar I’ve not played in quite a while and when I started talking (playing), it was like old times again.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:39 AM

Never really; my guitar has never been away; it's only really me that goes away and then i'm too busy to miss it too much, though it's nice to get back and pick it up again.

But LOL, I do love your priorities. I can just imagine your wife coming in the door from her long stay away from home and you running towards her with your arms outstretched and tears in your eyes -- and grabbing the guitar and running off to a quiet corner to play it, leaving her standing deflated on the doormat.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:43 AM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. My J45 has been in the shop for a few weeks now and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with her soon.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-12-2021, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

I had to look up this "orpheum"... I guess you have a "om-26swr"? Looks
like a nice guitar... deep as a dreadnought? They're not easy to find on
the Internet.

My Ken Stika guitar has been at the luthier since the late unpleasantness
caused him to be the most sought after person in South Carolina. He's
such a nice fellow, and did great and quick work on a couple of other
guitars before... we've talked a few times, I just tell him I'm "not in a hurry"...

-Mike
Old 04-12-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I hope your daughter's surgery was successful and she is recovering comfortably.

Yes she is doing well. Thanks for asking. I should have said that.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:10 AM

Default Missing a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I had to look up this "orpheum"... I guess you have a "om-26swr"? Looks

like a nice guitar... deep as a dreadnought? They're not easy to find on

the Internet.

My Ken Stika guitar has been at the luthier since the late unpleasantness

caused him to be the most sought after person in South Carolina. He's

such a nice fellow, and did great and quick work on a couple of other

guitars before... we've talked a few times, I just tell him I'm "not in a hurry"...

-Mike

Yes. OM 26 SWR. PROBABLY 20 years old. I bought it on a going out of business sale. I always make a point that it is a Tacoma Orpheum so there is no confusion with the newer and much more expensive Guild Orpheum. It is a deep bodied Grand auditorium or OOO size. I don’t think I am stretching much to say it is dreadnought depth. Really brings out the bass better than my Taylor 414. It is solid Sitka/solid rosewood. Made in Indonesia
I bought it to back up the Taylor, but it never played as good until I had a set up done on it a couple of years ago. Now it plays as good as the Taylor and I like the deeper sound better. I will try to double check the depth tonight.
IMG_8468.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8468.jpg (23.7 KB, 259 views)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

This is my Citation "Guitar of Quality"... a 1970s Japanese plywood guitar.
I got it off the Internet because I wanted an indestructible Citation like the one
my buddy Kent has been playing since we were in college in the mid 70s.
Mine had icky action until I took it to the luthier... it needed more than just
a set up, it needed a neck reset and other stuff... it will never sound like your
spruce/rosewood guitar, but it "plays like butter" now ...

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Yes. OM 26 SWR. PROBABLY 20 years old. I bought it on a going out of business sale. I always make a point that it is a Tacoma Orpheum so there is no confusion with the newer and much more expensive Guild Orpheum. It is a deep bodied Grand auditorium or OOO size. I don’t think I am stretching much to say it is dreadnought depth. Really brings out the bass better than my Taylor 414. It is solid Sitka/solid rosewood. Made in Indonesia
I bought it to back up the Taylor, but it never played as good until I had a set up done on it a couple of years ago. Now it plays as good as the Taylor and I like the deeper sound better. I will try to double check the depth tonight.
Attachment 54817
Old 04-12-2021, 10:58 AM

I did find this:
IMG_8475.jpg
Which I think is close to dreadnought depth.
The specs I found seemed to be 4 3/4 up to
4 7/8 for various dreads.
So it is pretty much dreadnought depth. Has really nice bass!
There are not a lot of these Indonesian Tacoma’s out there. I think Wade said they varied widely in sound. I like to think I lucked into a keeper.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Never really; my guitar has never been away; it's only really me that goes away and then i'm too busy to miss it too much, though it's nice to get back and pick it up again.

But LOL, I do love your priorities. I can just imagine your wife coming in the door from her long stay away from home and you running towards her with your arms outstretched and tears in your eyes -- and grabbing the guitar and running off to a quiet corner to play it, leaving her standing deflated on the doormat.

Nope. I was so good! I kissed her and carried the luggage up stairs. And then played and talked while she unpacked.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:11 AM

This is one of my guitar pick stories that wins it all for a missing my guitar.

I got this great story from by son-in-law’s father:
In 1976 my sister drove me to St.Louis and I bought the Yairi guitar, thinking I wanted a classical guitar. It took all the money I had at the time! My Dad always put his name on everything and I did the same with the guitar...a sticker near the label on the inside. In 1977 I moved to Denver and had ZERO money, so the guitar ended up in a pawn shop. Fast forward 45 years and my brother-in-law was looking for a nylon string guitar and I found him one in Pueblo. It happened to be a Yairi. This last spring I was back in Illinois and played his guitar...I REALLY liked it! When we got back to Pueblo I looked on EBay to see what was out there. I typed in Yairi classical guitar and started looking ( there’s a bunch!). I found one ,on an 7 day auction,that looked like my old one and clicked on it. The second photo had a picture of the label with my name still stuck on the inside!!! I almost fell off my chair! My wife came running in after she head me scream and said we have to get it back. There was no way we were going to lose that auction! So now you know the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.[/QUOTE
Old 04-12-2021, 11:13 AM

Default Missing a friend

And this is a good missing guitar story from John Denver!

https://youtu.be/zlKLtnbU0xE
Old 04-12-2021, 05:11 PM

Default Missing a friend

Nope I measured when I got home and only got 4 5/8. Not 4 3/4, so not full dread depth. But 3/8 deeper than my Taylor 414, and sounds more bass. Of course the 414 is ovangkol and the Orpheum is rosewood, which may contribute.

Last edited by whvick; 04-12-2021 at 05:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion