The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
I would have loved to try the Mcilroy - unfortunately it was gone when I contacted the guy
Sorry to hear that, you should really try to play one... i never ever heard of them until i noticed one up for sale on the dutch version of craiglist. Was amazed by the looks and the wood selected. My A56 is italian spruce top with cocobolo back and sides. So i went for an appointment to see what it sounded like and was hooked. Same with the A25, ordered it in England and was a purchase without trying. Never ever regret it.
2010 Martin D41 special
2009 Mcilroy A56 Cocobolo
2017 Taylor GS mini Koa
Old 01-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would have loved to try the Mcilroy - unfortunately it was gone when I contacted the guy

Sometimes there are ones FS on the McIlroy Facebook page. One in Sep in Ireland.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

this may or may not help, but here are a couple different Lowdens played by the same artist

first up-the amazing Martin Tallstrom with 7 Lowdens
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=516564

Anne-Marie Sandersons First Experiences With Lowden Acoustic Guitars
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=516565
Old 01-02-2019, 11:57 PM

You need to get in your car and drive with money in hand. When you find the right one, you'll know it.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
You need to get in your car and drive with money in hand. When you find the right one, you'll know it.
+1 on that.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Didn't get a Lowden

So, I found my new guitar today. It's nothing like a Lowden though! I was contacted over Facebook (as I had a similar topic going on the Lowden Owner's Group) by someone near me with a large guitar collection who was trying to downsize. After trying my way though a few excellent guitars (including a 1984 Martin D28S 12 Fretter) I ended up with a Blazer (from Blazer and Henkes, but before the name was changed). This is a recreation of an early J-45 in maple back and sides with a European spruce top from 1995. Nothing like a Lowden, yet at the same time this amazing little guitar strums and fingerpicks very well and is super nice and open after just over 20 years of playing. It seems pretty much perfect for me at the moment so I'm very happy. I will create a NGD post as soon as I have better pictures as I spent the evening polishing the frets, adjusting the action and playing until my fingers were sore (which took a while with the shorter scale )

Thanks to all for the help!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have a difficult (and very pleasant) choice ahead of me and thought this would be a great place to get some informed opinions. I have managed to sell some guitars and now getting ready to make a purchase. I have the chance to buy one of the following guitars on the local used market:

1. Lowden O25 (basically new)
2. Lowden O35 (walnut and Sitka, 2001 model)
3. Avalon A380 (basically new)
4. Mcilroy A30C (basically new)

All of these guitars are in roughly the same price range, so cost isn't really a factor. Resale value is definitely a consideration, but I guess they are all about the same anyway.

I know the the best thing to do (and what I will have to probably do) is to try all the guitars and choose which speaks to me, but they are all a couple hours away and all in different directions. Thus I thought I would ask for some advice here. They are all Lowden inspired instruments, so I thought they might be comparable, and fun for you to disect their various pros and cons.

I play with both bare skin fingers and a pick in roughly equal amounts and play (until now) only in standard tuning. In terms of music style, Influences include John Mayer, James Taylor, and Eric Clapton's acoustic stuff. I already have a great OM (a Boucher OMH in Bubinga).

What do you think?
If these guitars are in driving distance, you best next step is to play each one. I have found significant varibility within Lowdens in the 1992-2004 builds. I have not played the newer shop Lowdens. Play them as much as u can and if possible next to each other. Then you'll know if one of these guitars has your name on it.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
avalon, lowden, mcilroy