The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Default Wallace Guitars???

Anyone have experience or knowledge of Wallace acoustic guitars by luthier David Wallace? Played one today. Had never heard of them, but it has my attention.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:31 PM

Tell us more, Brodave. I've never heard of him but I'm always interested. Where did you play it? What type of guitar? Did the shop know anything about him?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodave872 View Post
Anyone have experience or knowledge of Wallace acoustic guitars by luthier David Wallace? Played one today. Had never heard of them, but it has my attention.
I have never heard of him. Found this information which may be helpful:

http://wallaceguitars.com/index.html

From Facebook:

"David Wallace was born on October 30, 1940 in Niota Tennessee. He started woodworking as a young man and a guitar player but always felt there was something missing in all the guitars he would play. Not matter what others would say, most guitars were built without the player in mind. When David was 24 he decided that he might have an idea that would lead him to experiment with guitar building. So using his skills he spent most of his spare time in a shop drafting the guitar of his dreams. In his little shop he started his creation, not using ideas from popular guitar builders, but making a guitar that was unique and his own. In his early years, David discovered the feel of the neck was lacking in other guitars and he was going to make this the trademark for the Wallace brand. So his craft was in place his skills were sharpened, David was ready to make a go at making the perfect guitar. In 2001 he met a "marketing agent" by the name Glen Portwood. Glen wanted to take care of public relations and set some goals as a company. In 2003 David retired and wanted to make a bold move in launching Wallace guitars as a competitive custom guitar company and had all the pieces together to do so. David and Glen were a team heading in to a huge market but just as a small operation. The success would be judged by the product and the product is awesome. David uses only the best in wood to build his instruments such as Claro Walnut, Black Walnut, Curly Koa,Ceder, Quilted Maple, Curly Maple, Sitka Spruce and Western Red Ceder to mention a few. The electronics in a Wallace custom acoustic can be the L.R. Baggs Hex System, which is most popular with fingerstyle players. In the "Tele" style guitar David uses Fralin or T.V. Jones pickups. You can get a "Tele" customized with a b-bender or even the Bigsby tremolo. The Wallace nylon can have the L.R. Baggs hex system or just acoustic. The Wallace Arch-top can have either the Fralin or T.V. Jones pick-ups in the body and some have a combination of these pick-ups and a L.R. Baggs T-bridge as well with a blender pot to mix between the two. Of course, all of the above is up to you, the customer, David will build one with your specifications on accesories. So, Wallace can build you a Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Les Paul style, "Tele" sytle hollowbody or solid, Arch-top, Electric Acoustic, Carved-top, Nylon electric acoustic, Classical and cover all your needs. The list of Wallace players is comperable to any luthiers list. Robert Anderson, Wesley Crider, Richard Kyser, Ben Hall, Roger Hardin, Kyle Reeder, Jason Jordan, Myron Collier, Larry Hughes, Lonnie Portwood and Dennis Crider. We invite you to play a Wallace guitar and see for yourself that none can compare."

https://www.facebook.com/Wallace-Gui...?tab=page_info

There is some information accompanying this Reverb listing which indicates that he did repair work for Fender and Gibson:

https://reverb.com/item/1181995-wall...30-2012-orange
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248

Last edited by guitargarden; 12-28-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:42 PM

Played it at Allen's Music in Paducah, KY. Looked like a Taylor body, maybe a x16 with no cutaway, with some kind of custom neck. It's a total custom build, though. I found the builder's site at wallaceguitars.com.

This particular one was owned by Kyle Reeder, a top notch finger player. This guitar looks a lot like the one he's playing in some of his videos. I've only seen the thumbnails, as I, traveling and haven't been able to watch the vids yet.

I've contacted him through his site, kylereeder.com, but I've not heard back yet.

This one was bright but with a nice bottom end. Very responsive and fun to play with light strings. I think I like it almost as much as a Gentner I've been eyeing and at half the price, I may go back and spend some time with this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, guitar acoustic, information, opinions, question