The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:52 PM

just playing devil's advocate here, and not making an excuse for the rude behavior; which it obviously was.

but maybe the guy gets approached all the time with gear related questions, and is just sick of it. still doesn't excuse the way he handled it, but that may have been a part of the reason for the dickheadery. some guys are eager to talk gear, and some aren't.

and a good buddy of mine makes a very nice living selling gear that plenty of "professional" players use. his biggest sellers are vaults, that hold up to ten (i think) guitars. and some of these folks have two of them onstage at any time. and i'm talking top shelf touring folks, that everyone has heard of. i won't drop names for him, as he's modest enough not to do the same. point being, there are very few touring players that use only ONE guitar at shows. i like the economy, but can appreciate having tonal options.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

He has an expensive guitar, wow 1500 bucks. That will barely get you a Martin D16.

I suggest he never says that to Vince Gill who I know has a room full of guitars, as do many other professional players.

And I liked that snobbery, "the 300 hundred dollar guitars I used to use". But hey, he now has an expensive 1500 dollar guitar. Good for him. Sad to say he is not the only jerk who can play a guitar.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead View Post
My personal rule is, if I like the show, I don't speak to the performer. I don't want my enjoyment of the show tainted by their personality issues! Too many times it is soured. David Grisman was an exception, but it's not like I could have not lived my life without that encounter.

Same with movie stars, I'll love the movie and then later you find out that they are complete A-Holes! Nope, I am perfectly happy to bury my head in the sand and enjoy their talent!

Just my opinion!
I developed the same attitude over the years. When I was younger, even in my 30-ies, I strived to talk to my 'heroes'. Then it all turned juts to the opposite -- I enjoy the work of arts but have no slightest desire to meet their authors in person. I also mostly ignore reading the interviews with them. It is a kind of a thing that comes with experience, I guess.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 AM

Umbrage is such a warm and pleasant feeling. Fortunately, now that we have the internet, we need never lack for it. When we don't get enough in our personal lives, we can always take it on behalf of someone we don't know, against someone else we don't know, based on the one-sided retelling of a conversation we never heard.

200 replies and 10,000 views worth in 3 days. We never had it this good.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Umbrage is such a warm and pleasant feeling. Fortunately, now that we have the internet, we need never lack for it. When we don't get enough in our personal lives, we can always take it on behalf of someone we don't know, against someone else we don't know, based on the one-sided retelling of a conversation we never heard.

We never need to lack for sarcasm as well or so it seems
Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I'm not seeing this as good in any sense of the word. It seems that more than a few times this thread has taken on the tone of professional musician bashing, with plenty of folks just piling on. Fortunately, the discussion went back to the difference between number of guitars the pros own as compared to the hobbyist - which seems weird if you ask me. In my opinion, in doesn't make any difference at all. Still, that person that spoke to Chris that way was simply out of line.

But let's get some perspective here. Rudeness is not inherent to just one type of performer, nor is it the overall tenor of them as well.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 02-24-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 AM

I may be repeating someone else, but...

Insult cannot be given, it can only be taken.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
I may be repeating someone else, but...

Insult cannot be given, it can only be taken.
And like I said earlier, I wasn't really insulted--mainly just amused. I posted the story because I thought it would make interesting conversation. I was right.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 02-24-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
And like I said earlier, I wasn't really insulted--mainly just amused. I posted the story because I thought it would make interesting conversation. I was right.
Well, if you were not insulted, perhaps you should re-title the thread " "Insulted" by a professional musician". I think you got your quotation marks in the wrong place.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, if you were not insulted, perhaps you should re-title the thread " "Insulted" by a professional musician". I think you got your quotation marks in the wrong place.
^^^ this, yes, I agree

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
I agree. The quotation marks around "professional musician" seem to suggest something else.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I'm not seeing this as good in any sense of the word. It seems that more than a few times this thread has taken on the tone of professional musician bashing, with plenty of folks just piling on. Fortunately, the discussion went back to the difference between number of guitars the pros own as compared to the hobbyist - which seems weird if you ask me. In my opinion, in doesn't make any difference at all. Still, that person that spoke to Chris that way was simply out of line.

But let's get some perspective here. Rudeness is not inherent to just one type of performer, nor is it the overall tenor of them as well.
Amen and to clarify further, Rudeness takes place in all human endeavors not just entertainment.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I've never been so insulted in my life.

Well then you should get out more.

(Benny Hill)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I agree. The quotation marks around "professional musician" seem to suggest something else.
Yes. In this sense, the quotation marks call into question the musician's professional skill / status.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Welp, anybody that would act like that towards someone that came out to hear them play simply isn't very "professional" are they?

Some guitars
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion