The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 10:57 AM

Default Advice for Selling Expensive Guitar

I've decided to sell one of my fairly high-end guitars, by which I mean the market value is closer to $10K than $5K.

I am in no rush, and will not be using Ebay or Reverb, but instead forums where I can have some control over choosing the buyer before doing the deal. So places like craigslist, facebook marketplace, and some other websites.

Basically, I am more concerned with avoiding bad actors than getting a quick sale.

Along those lines, I am debating whether to post photos in my listings, or require buyers to contact me privately to get them.
I don't want my photos available to everyone on the internet, and then see them used by cretins to make scam listings of my guitar.
I know on the Classifieds here there are usually the same group of characters who will post on every listing without photos something along the lines of: "We need to see photos or we won't be interested."
But those characters don't seem to be actual buyers, just looky-loos.

After all, will the onerous task of sending a message to the seller for photos dissuade any actually serious buyer from their interest in a specific high-end guitar? Aren't the complainers just window-shoppers who are frustrated at not getting their visual fix?
Or am I wrong?
Old 05-01-2024, 11:06 AM

I'll be looking forward to the responses with great interest.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 05-01-2024, 11:11 AM

I recently purchased a guitar through the classified section. Having photos in the original post helped stir up my interest. I then contacted the seller for more info and photos. The guitar had a wood rosette which is one of the things I was looking for. Had there been no pictures, I might have just glossed over the listing without PMing the seller.

I think it makes sense to post at least one or two photos so potential buyers can get a basic visual of what is being offered, then those who are really interested can PM you for more.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

What maximum percentage of looky-loos can you tolerate?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-01-2024, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I would avoid Craigslist, personally. Way more scammers on there IME than anywhere else.

For me, if I see a listing on the classifieds without high quality photos, I am not going to go to the trouble of investigating it further. It really is photos that spark interest online. If a listing has photos and interests me then I might contact the seller and ask for additional images, but with no photos at all I pretty much dismiss the listing immediately.

-Mike
Old 05-01-2024, 11:36 AM

Posting photo's would be a no-brainer for me. NOT showing photo's would make me think something is not right
Old 05-01-2024, 11:46 AM

I’ve bought 2 guitars from fellow AGF members. No problems at all, guitars were well packed, arrived safely in good condition, were as advertised.

I’ve never sold through the AGF classifieds, but I think it’s where I would list.

You’re more likely IMO to find a serious buyer who understands your guitar’s value here than on FB, Craig’s list, eBay, etc.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 05-01-2024, 11:57 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I'd list it where ever guitars are sold and DEFINITELY include pictures. I wouldn't bother contacting someone that listed a guitar for sale with no photos. Not worth my time. If there aren't enough photos for me to gauge the basics of the guitar I won't reach out to follow up or ask for more details.

But that's just me.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Pictures speak a thousand words and they will help sell your guitars.

If you are worried about folks pirating your photos do the occasional reverse image search. If your photos are being used flag them to the admin of what ever sight you see them on.

Also, if you have desirable instruments the forum is a great resource for selling.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-01-2024, 12:05 PM

I'd post at least one (pretty good quality) picture. Let the potential buyer know more pics are available on request
Personally, I'd avoid shipping at all costs. Lots of ways to get burnt there. Maybe even get a dollar bill marker to check the bills (if/when) the sale occurs. Good luck.

Recently I successfully sold a guitar for $1400 cash on CL.

The usual applies:
Meet in a well lit public place.
I double counted the cash.
If I know the deal may pan out, I try to make it kinda personal, i.e. what kind of vehicle I'll be in, what I look like, etc. Some people are funny about that. To me, the more personal it becomes the more likely the sale is.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I'd avoid Craig's List and Facebook like the plague. For your higher end guitar, it sounds like this forum or similar would be your best bet. If you're averse to having lots of photos out in the wild, post only a front and back shot of your guitar with additional photos available on request. Ads without photos do not interest me in the least. Without any photos you're limiting yourself to a buyer who knows exactly what your guitar is and is specifically looking that model.

Good Luck,

Scott
Old 05-01-2024, 12:13 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I have bought multiple guitars off of Facebook Marketplace. I've not sold any, but I regularly scan marketplace for new listings. Not sure why you'd not list it there. You control who you reply to, and how you handle that interaction.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFretWear View Post
I've decided to sell one of my fairly high-end guitars, by which I mean the market value is closer to $10K than $5K.

Basically, I am more concerned with avoiding bad actors than getting a quick sale.
If you want to avoid a hassle, don't list on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

Quote:
After all, will the onerous task of sending a message to the seller for photos dissuade any actually serious buyer from their interest in a specific high-end guitar? Aren't the complainers just window-shoppers who are frustrated at not getting their visual fix?
Or am I wrong?
You are wrong. If someone posted an expensive guitar with no photos, I absolutely wouldn't bother with them. Everyone posts photos.

As for Reverb/ebay etc.... They're not as much of a hassle as you probably think they are. They both have good seller protection etc and open you up to the entire guitar playing world... I've sold literally hundreds of guitars on ebay and Reverb and it is still my preferred way to sell an instrument. Take good photos, write a detailed description etc....

I've never sold through the classifieds here but people seem to have good experiences so if you're truly not in a hurry, that might be your best bet.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:16 PM

One thing to consider I think is geography: city vs rural. I noticed two of the posts here against CL are from those who live in large cities. Personally, I'm in the country (more or less). The only "action" I get on FB Marketplace is from people 200+ miles away who want me to ship. And while the market in my area is slow, there are buyers out there. I've gotten lots of lowball offers or trade offers or dead ends on FB vs. CL. That's just my experience. FWIW, I've bought/sold over 25 guitars and over 30 other items on CL.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFretWear View Post

I am in no rush, and will not be using Ebay or Reverb, but instead forums where I can have some control over choosing the buyer before doing the deal. So places like craigslist, facebook marketplace, and some other websites.

Along those lines, I am debating whether to post photos in my listings, or require buyers to contact me privately to get them.
I don't want my photos available to everyone on the internet, and then see them used by cretins to make scam listings of my guitar.
I know on the Classifieds here there are usually the same group of characters who will post on every listing without photos something along the lines of: "We need to see photos or we won't be interested."
But those characters don't seem to be actual buyers, just looky-loos.

Or am I wrong?
When you're talking 10K you might consider consignment at a high end shop.

From my personal experience I consigned at Elderly and the consignment fee was lower the greater the value of the instrument. I ended up getting a lot more for my guitars and did not do anything myself. It was worth the fee.

There are a lot of buyers who have feelers out at the higher end dealers for certain instruments, so there's that.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion