The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2021, 11:06 PM

Default K&K Pure Mini vs. Martin Thinline Gold Plus

I have a ‘72 Martin D-28S (12 fret, slot head) in which I installed a Martin Thinline Gold Plus system back in 2000. The internal preamp has given up the ghost so to speak. I have the same system installed in my ‘93 Taylor 555 12-string, and I like the fact that both have had the same output, and could use a single Taylor V Cord to seamlessly switch between guitars at gigs without changing setting on my direct box or PA. Question: Does anyone know how the output level of the K&K Pure Mini Compares with the Martin Thinline Gold Plus systems? Thank you.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:26 AM

Having owned both (the Martin Thinline Gold + is a rebadged Fishman Acoustic Matrix II with the narrow piezo strip, which I have had in a few Gibsons and Martins, and I have the K&K in a couple of my current guitars), whilst the K&K has strong output compared to most passive pickups, it’s a fair way short of the output of the Martin/Fishman with onboard preamp.

The K&K also requires a lot more drastic EQ work to make it sing than the Fishman/Martin and has a much lower threshold of gain before feedback, so switching between guitars with the two different pickups would be less than straightforward.

I would suggest going with K&K in both guitars or looking at the Fishman Matrix Infinity which is the modern iteration of your Thinline Gold. Both are excellent pickups, albeit quite different from one another.
'05 Hummingbird 12 string (K&K)
'15 SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
'16 Advanced Jumbo Flame Deluxe (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I have K&K’s in two guitars. I used to play through an Alix preamp with decent results. When I switched over to the MUCH less expensive K&K pre, things got much better. Go figure.

Petros, Paragon, and Santa Cruz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification