The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-18-2021, 12:30 PM

Found 'em!

So, for me, the Elixir PB Nano 12's just weren't working. I tried to be OK with their shimmer and jangle compared to the 13's, but I couldn't.

So I went to my local Guitar Czar and asked for a recommendation and brought home some DR Sunbeam 13's.

Oh yeah, baby. Warm without being dull, and easy to fret.

The only thing I don't like, and it's a tiny niggle, is the fact that the strings are paired in packages. And they pair the 1-4, 3-5 and 3-6 together. Weird.

Anyway, if you're looking and cant seem to settle, try these out.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 09-18-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Maybe i'm taking this comment to literally...but "suffers a lot" is over stating it. There's a noticeable difference, but I didn't find it a deal breaker or anything. I agree with steelvibe that the trick may be finding a medium set with less tension. Or try the HD lights, they seemed fine for me. I have the D'Addario NB mediums on mine now and I don't notice the sore fingers like I do with other sets. I have no idea about the tension specs on those strings.
I guess my point is that nobody who’s responded here seems to be playing the Sable with 12s, voting with their feet so to speak. I play both Sunbeams and Monels in light gauge on guitars with 24.9” scales. Both are notoriously low in tension and easy on the fingers. I’d think moving up to mediums AND doing so on a full scale guitar will increase tension a notable amount, but I’m gonna have to be prepared to try. I’ll likely try a set of light sunbeams and medium sunbeams to compare both feel and sound. I may do the same with Monels, but my experience has been that I’m happier with Sunbeams than Monels on carbon fiber guitars. So I’ll probably start there, particularly given David’s glowing review of the Medium Sunbeams on the Sable…

-Ray
Old 09-18-2021, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Makes sense Ray...I guess I gotta order some Sunbeams now.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ray, the Elixir nano 80/20 12's is not a bad way to start. Seems best to use a string that is a little on the bright side on the Sable, otherwise it can be a little dull. It will be interesting to see what Buzzard finds too....looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your test drive !
Quote:
I'm very familiar with your woods, that is a very tall order indeed. I would have a hard time letting either of those go too. Please let us know how the Sunbeams work, I have not tried them on the Sable.
Sable test drive got somewhat short circuited. I’d ordered one a while back through Guitar Center, not expecting it until October at the earliest. I’ve been visiting family in Oregon for the past couple of weeks and, much to my surprise, I got a notice that the order was shipped and then was ready for pickup at my local store (in tax-free Delaware). So I figured I’d get it on Sunday or Monday, try a few sets of strings, and decide whether to keep it.

But while in Eugene, I stopped into Mackenzie River Music, a shop I’ve heard a lot about, and, again to my surprise, there was a Sable hanging on the wall. Well, I’ve been by there a few times since, played it a few times, and concluded it’s a fine guitar I may well own someday, but no WAY it was gonna displace either of my current wood guitars. If my living and visiting situation (we spend four months each winter away from home) was such that having three acoustics made any sense at all, I’d probably buy one once I could afford to without selling one of my wooden guitars. But for at least the next couple years, two acoustics is my max, and the Sable isn’t gonna be one of the two. I like my CEO-7 and 000-28EC way too much to sell either and nothing about the Sable made me think seriously about doing so. So I “returned” the Sable to Guitar Center over the phone without ever picking it up.

A couple quick observations. The neck on the Sable does indeed have a subtle V to it and the satin-like finish on the back of the neck felt great. But it’s not nearly as meaty a neck as either of my Martin’s, and I didn’t like it near as much. The Sable is freaking HEAVY for an acoustic guitar - felt more like one of my electrics. It sounded good and I’m sure I could dial it in to be something I’d like a lot with the right set of strings, but I didn’t find out if I’d like 12s on it or not - that’ll be for another day / year.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I’d been discussing this here and didn’t think this short circuit needed it’s own thread…

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-23-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Great you at least found one to try. You pretty much hit it right on. I understand the not replacing the woody's thing, I enjoy having the Sable for travel, on the deck playing and for a change of pace here in extra dry Arizona, and I think it sounds great, but I don't think it would be picked as an only guitar over my Martin M36 unless I played out a lot like Buzzard does. What you need it for does mean a lot. I play for myself in the house, that's it.

I wouldn't chose any of the CF guitars I have owned over my M36. I haven't tried the Med Sunbeams on the Sable yet, but I did put some light Sunbeams on the M36 and like them. Now that's high jacking the thread ! Carry on !
Old 09-23-2021, 08:18 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Ray. I think I'm pretty much done with tonewoods personally (the Sable really spoiled that for me, as did the Touring). Of course I get why people would hold onto wood too, nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:15 AM

I played a full band gig, minus our drummer, last night at the RoHa brewery. It was beautiful... warm fall night, fresh beer, appreciative audience.

My Sable with Sunbeam 13s was perfect. I'm over the moon happy with it. My fingers were tired but not sore, and the sound was clean and clear with good warmth.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:09 AM

I stripped off the 13's from my Sable almost immediately...was like playing with steel cables...was killing my fingers. Currently, I am using the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze - .012-.053 and I am completely satisfied with the tone and playability.

I have a buddy who plays with extra light strings on his acoustics...I think 10's and he thinks my 12's are horrendous.

I guess the lesson is...use whatever works for you. The great thing about the Sable is you don't have to worry about a new setup if you want to try out different gauges.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
I stripped off the 13's from my Sable almost immediately...was like playing with steel cables...was killing my fingers. Currently, I am using the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze - .012-.053 and I am completely satisfied with the tone and playability.

I have a buddy who plays with extra light strings on his acoustics...I think 10's and he thinks my 12's are horrendous.

I guess the lesson is...use whatever works for you. The great thing about the Sable is you don't have to worry about a new setup if you want to try out different gauges.
Lots of crossover jazz musicians use 10s. I've found 11s to be surprisingly good on some guitars but still wouldn't be my go-to. I guess it is all guitar specific as well. I would use 11s or 10s on a larger chamber guitar but would not go lighter than lights on a parlor or short scale. They just don't drive the top, at least that has been my experience.

But full on 13s on any guitar? Not for me, not unless they are Sunbeams or GHS Thin Core
Old 09-25-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Taking Buzzards suggestion, kinda, I put some DR Rares on the Sable today. I like them a lot. A great solid low end and a sweet high end with no edginess ! Thank you for the suggestion.....and they are not broken in yet.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:50 PM

So, I've been playing a lot since getting my new Sable, and the DR Sunbeams are now 4 weeks old with about 40 hours of use.

I truly have found my new strings. Every one is still stable and sweet sounding up and down the neck.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

I play the sable with Elixir 80/20 nano Lights ( 12's ) but, I use my sable as a gig guitar and am plugged into a PA . So the volume loss you get makes no difference to me.
For my ear it makes a small difference to the tone but I made the change from PB to 80/20 in the hope of brightening up the tone a little. Which it did.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Lots of crossover jazz musicians use 10s. I've found 11s to be surprisingly good on some guitars but still wouldn't be my go-to. I guess it is all guitar specific as well. I would use 11s or 10s on a larger chamber guitar but would not go lighter than lights on a parlor or short scale. They just don't drive the top, at least that has been my experience.

But full on 13s on any guitar? Not for me, not unless they are Sunbeams or GHS Thin Core

i have never used anything above 10's on any acoustic.
a] the tension feels just 'right'
b]easy to keep in tune [once stabilized etc]
c]easy for open tunings etc
d]use a pick up/mic etc..into the pa..no tone vol loss now.
e]vol/tone won't dispute using 'heavier gauge gives more vol and tone but...as is played at home is fine.

won't dispute using heavier gauge strings = more vol and tone but...
'why fight the strings!! when a lighter gauge makes it much easier to simply 'play' and no more tired fret fingers etc.=a lower action helps also.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Taking Buzzards suggestion, kinda, I put some DR Rares on the Sable today. I like them a lot. A great solid low end and a sweet high end with no edginess ! Thank you for the suggestion.....and they are not broken in yet.
Lights or mediums?

-Ray
Old 10-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Lights or mediums?

-Ray
Light DR Rares

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber