The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 12-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Lnr103 Lnr103 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Default So glad to have this message board. You all are the best!

I keep making notes based on everyone's suggestions. I will make sure I have a return or exchange policy in case he wants to return for something he might prefer more but with all your suggestions I'm thinking well find something to suit him until he decides he wants an upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Lnr103 Lnr103 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Default Guitar advice - notes from this group

Am I missing anything?

Guitar advice

Places to check out in North Carolina:

Sundpure, Durham
Harry's and Guru, Raleigh
Mullis Music in Concord
Recording king

http://harryandjeaniewest.com/

Give Guitar Center website a shot: Yamaha FG700S


*** pay attention to return policy ***

Notes:
three primary concerns to pay attention to:
is the action low?
does it hold tune?
does it have a solid top?


1-a solid soundboard made of spruce or cedar or mahogany. Laminated soundboards don't tend to sound as good as solid ones.
Laminated sides and backs are not a concern at this point.

2-tuners that turn smoothly and are not chromed plastic - they will feel and look like solid, quality pieces of machine worked metal.

3-I suggest either a Dreadnaught or a Folk size guitar. The Dreadnaught is what most people think of when they think "acoustic guitar". The folk size is a bit smaller and may be easier to play for some people.

Guitars worth checking out:
Washburn D-10S for under $250
Breedlove Passport C250/CMe
Sammick - Greg Bennet
Yamaha FG
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Riverwolf Riverwolf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: OREGON
Posts: 3,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Am I missing anything?
Notes:
three primary concerns to pay attention to:
is the action low?
does it hold tune?
does it have a solid top?

1-a solid soundboard made of spruce or cedar or mahogany. Laminated soundboards don't tend to sound as good as solid ones.

2-tuners that turn smoothly and are not chromed plastic
Not turning out easy is it?
A non player will never be able to judge the action and it is adjustable anyway
No way in the store to tell if it will stay in tune
Yes solid top is good but spruce, mahogany and cedar all sound diff and are a BIG owner preference thing
Buy him the Yamaha with a return policy
or stay with the gift card?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-17-2014, 07:26 PM
llew llew is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 7,333
Default

Best of luck to you. I hope you run into some reliable salespeople along the way who are educated enough to help you make an informed decision. What an awesome undertaking...I hope your husband appreciates what you're going through to get him the "right guitar". Wish I had better advice. Just make sure you can return whatever you end up with (in the event he does't like it?) and that there isn't a restocking fee. Happy shopping and Merry Christmas!
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Kip Carter's Avatar
Kip Carter Kip Carter is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Central Alabama, USA
Posts: 3,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Am I missing anything?

Guitar advice

Places to check out in North Carolina:

Sundpure, Durham
Harry's and Guru, Raleigh
Mullis Music in Concord
Recording king

http://harryandjeaniewest.com/

Give Guitar Center website a shot: Yamaha FG700S


*** pay attention to return policy ***

Notes:
three primary concerns to pay attention to:
is the action low?
does it hold tune?
does it have a solid top?


1-a solid soundboard made of spruce or cedar or mahogany. Laminated soundboards don't tend to sound as good as solid ones.
Laminated sides and backs are not a concern at this point.

2-tuners that turn smoothly and are not chromed plastic - they will feel and look like solid, quality pieces of machine worked metal.

3-I suggest either a Dreadnaught or a Folk size guitar. The Dreadnaught is what most people think of when they think "acoustic guitar". The folk size is a bit smaller and may be easier to play for some people.

Guitars worth checking out:
Washburn D-10S for under $250
Breedlove Passport C250/CMe
Sammick - Greg Bennet
Yamaha FG
Only thing I see missing here is ***LISTEN*** the sound is the ultimate sale.
__________________
Blessings,
Kip...

One!

My sites: Personal Really Personal Blog

Martin DC-15ME
Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E. (For Sale)
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG (For Sale)
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 PM
DanPanther DanPanther is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Planet Wave
Posts: 3,964
Default

I think you ignored the best advice.
if you want him to have a guitar that you bought him for Christmas or a birthday.
Make it a shopping day where he knows it's your purchase, but I can say without much doubt, He would rather select the guitar himself.
Of course He will love the one you bought him, but it may not be the one he would select himself.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Lnr103 Lnr103 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Thank you again everyone.

Definitely not ignoring that advice Dan. I just know my husband won't let us buy the guitar right now. The shopping day simply won't happen if I don't do it myself. He's in practical mode and a guitar isn't on that list.

The guitar I pick may not be the guitar he'd pick himself but it will surely be better than my 2yo sons toy guitar he's been fiddling with. . I'm the sucker for sound and live music and despite not knowing much about guitars I've spent a significant portion of my life listening and surrounding myself by musicians. Music makes me happy so I'm simply thrilled my husband is taking an interest. I want to foster than interest.

I know the sound I love...I won't buy without listening to it being played first.

I'll get the return policy too - definitely.

My husband is a sucker for sentiment and just as I may like jewelry I pick out myself I'd still prefer anything he'd buy me.

Thank you again everyone. I'll post the outcome.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Mbroady's Avatar
Mbroady Mbroady is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Asheville via NYC
Posts: 3,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Thank you again everyone.

Definitely not ignoring that advice Dan. I just know my husband won't let us buy the guitar right now. The shopping day simply won't happen if I don't do it myself. He's in practical mode and a guitar isn't on that list.

The guitar I pick may not be the guitar he'd pick himself but it will surely be better than my 2yo sons toy guitar he's been fiddling with. . I'm the sucker for sound and live music and despite not knowing much about guitars I've spent a significant portion of my life listening and surrounding myself by musicians. Music makes me happy so I'm simply thrilled my husband is taking an interest. I want to foster than interest.

I know the sound I love...I won't buy without listening to it being played first.

I'll get the return policy too - definitely.

My husband is a sucker for sentiment and just as I may like jewelry I pick out myself I'd still prefer anything he'd buy me.

Thank you again everyone. I'll post the outcome.
As mentioned already mentioned by llew, finding the right salesperson would be key in your situation (Maybe the owner rather then a rep). Trust your gut. If you are getting the sleazy car salesman vibe walk out.

Let us know how it turns out.
__________________
Furch D25SR,
Furch D34SR For Sale https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=519406
Furch D32LM
Voyage Air VAD-2
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Tacoma Papoose
72 Fender Strat
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Lnr103 Lnr103 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Default Washburn WD11S

Ended up with a Washburn WD11S

I seem to like the sound of the cedar tops and the price was right with a return policy. Owner of the local shop seemed pretty trustworthy and despite being fairly busy he had the patience. He almost talked me into a bouldercreek guitar but I was concerned it was a fad?? He was also playing me an ovation (?) that was his own that he was considering selling and I liked the sound of it but wasn't sure what my husband would think... Plus again, it was used. I'm happy with what I took home and my 2yo son was so thrilled to see it come through the door. Hopefully my husband will be pleasantly surprised but just in case the store had plenty of nice options in our price range to exchange it with. They didn't have a Breedlove to try so I went to a guitar center just to have a chance to listen to one before committing. They had one with a spruce top but I wasn't feeling it quite as much - might of been the player and not the guitar (insert shoulder shrug).

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-20-2014, 05:01 PM
dkoloff's Avatar
dkoloff dkoloff is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Ended up with a Washburn WD11S

I seem to like the sound of the cedar tops and the price was right with a return policy. Owner of the local shop seemed pretty trustworthy and despite being fairly busy he had the patience. He almost talked me into a bouldercreek guitar but I was concerned it was a fad?? He was also playing me an ovation (?) that was his own that he was considering selling and I liked the sound of it but wasn't sure what my husband would think... Plus again, it was used. I'm happy with what I took home and my 2yo son was so thrilled to see it come through the door. Hopefully my husband will be pleasantly surprised but just in case the store had plenty of nice options in our price range to exchange it with. They didn't have a Breedlove to try so I went to a guitar center just to have a chance to listen to one before committing. They had one with a spruce top but I wasn't feeling it quite as much - might of been the player and not the guitar (insert shoulder shrug).

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Glad you found a guitar that you liked for him....I am sure he will very much appreciate the present.
__________________
David K.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Composite Acoustics OX HG
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
llew llew is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 7,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Ended up with a Washburn WD11S

I seem to like the sound of the cedar tops and the price was right with a return policy. Owner of the local shop seemed pretty trustworthy and despite being fairly busy he had the patience. He almost talked me into a bouldercreek guitar but I was concerned it was a fad?? He was also playing me an ovation (?) that was his own that he was considering selling and I liked the sound of it but wasn't sure what my husband would think... Plus again, it was used. I'm happy with what I took home and my 2yo son was so thrilled to see it come through the door. Hopefully my husband will be pleasantly surprised but just in case the store had plenty of nice options in our price range to exchange it with. They didn't have a Breedlove to try so I went to a guitar center just to have a chance to listen to one before committing. They had one with a spruce top but I wasn't feeling it quite as much - might of been the player and not the guitar (insert shoulder shrug).

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Well just cause you found him the "right guitar"...don't be a stranger around here? Merry Christmas!
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Kip Carter's Avatar
Kip Carter Kip Carter is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Central Alabama, USA
Posts: 3,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Ended up with a Washburn WD11S

I seem to like the sound of the cedar tops and the price was right with a return policy. Owner of the local shop seemed pretty trustworthy and despite being fairly busy he had the patience. He almost talked me into a bouldercreek guitar but I was concerned it was a fad?? He was also playing me an ovation (?) that was his own that he was considering selling and I liked the sound of it but wasn't sure what my husband would think... Plus again, it was used. I'm happy with what I took home and my 2yo son was so thrilled to see it come through the door. Hopefully my husband will be pleasantly surprised but just in case the store had plenty of nice options in our price range to exchange it with. They didn't have a Breedlove to try so I went to a guitar center just to have a chance to listen to one before committing. They had one with a spruce top but I wasn't feeling it quite as much - might of been the player and not the guitar (insert shoulder shrug).

Thank you all again.

Happy Holidays.
Be sure to swing back and tell us how it works out with the gift. Also we'd love to have you stick around and get that new guitar owner on here to share with us too! Make it a family affair of sorts!

Warm Wonderful Christmas and Joy in the year to come!
__________________
Blessings,
Kip...

One!

My sites: Personal Really Personal Blog

Martin DC-15ME
Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E. (For Sale)
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG (For Sale)
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, damage, guitar buying, repair, tanglewood

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=